...but it's true :erm:. Muse are, if not regressing, failing to do anything interesting, exciting or remotely original. Their last three albums have been pure pastiche. It's cringeworthy. Rose-tinted specs much, eh?

There's a lot of difference wording opinions like you have done just now, and doing it by behaving like you're a kindergarten child.

But let's talk the rose tinted specs you mention. It's true I can have them, but I also can always turn the claim against yourself regarding personal tastes: you too are judging the band through a pair of glasses, which just happen to be different than mine. :D

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

It could be worse, Muse could be Coldplay.

And tbh I think Radiohead are a bit of an exception to the general trend for British bands in the 90s/00s, which is that they put out a few good albums and then struggle to match those ever again. Oasis, Kaiser Chiefs, Kasabian, Franz Ferdinand... even Arctic Monkeys to an extent (though AM and SIAS have their great moments). And in the USA it's the same for bands such as RHCP, The Strokes, The Killers...

Also, seriously, shit-slinging apes? Fuck off all of you. None of you were saying rubbish like that on the day they put out The Handler. Just because the next 6 songs they put out were less than great doesn't suddenly diminish the quality of that song. Or Reapers. Or Dead Inside. Yes, the albums have undoubtedly seriously regressed in quality, but the way some of you choose to talk about Muse is ridiculous. It's just a band, for crying out loud.

'Subtlety of'.

Doesn't mean I don't like it - Dead Inside, Reapers and The Handler are A+++ Muse.

BUT. They're wonderful in a way that I don't hold what I regard as peak Muse, Origin and Absolution times.

And the true cheesefest stinkers just weren't a thing back then, or the truly insufferable lyrics - I could go on.

It could be worse, Muse could be Coldplay.

And tbh I think Radiohead are a bit of an exception to the general trend for British bands in the 90s/00s, which is that they put out a few good albums and then struggle to match those ever again. Oasis, Kaiser Chiefs, Kasabian, Franz Ferdinand... even Arctic Monkeys to an extent (though AM and SIAS have their great moments). And in the USA it's the same for bands such as RHCP, The Strokes, The Killers...

Also, seriously, shit-slinging apes? Fuck off all of you. None of you were saying rubbish like that on the day they put out The Handler. Just because the next 6 songs they put out were less than great doesn't suddenly diminish the quality of that song. Or Reapers. Or Dead Inside. Yes, the albums have undoubtedly seriously regressed in quality, but the way some of you choose to talk about Muse is ridiculous. It's just a band, for crying out loud.

Why are you so upset? It's just a band, for crying out loud.

Still accurate though. Muse's last three albums have had all the subtlety of shit-slinging apes :LOL:.

That's my point. The last album that had any subtlety on it was Absolution. Coldplay are better these days than Muse. Hell Muse is not even in my top 20 bands anymore. If you want a great new record in 2017 - Slowdive.

Why are you so upset? It's just a band, for crying out loud.

:)

Wouldn't really say that post was "so upset". Baffled and mildly indignant though, I'll grant you that.

That's my point. The last album that had any subtlety on it was Absolution. Coldplay are better these days than Muse. Hell Muse is not even in my top 20 bands anymore. If you want a great new record in 2017 - Slowdive.

Mm.. I'd argue the first half of Hoodoo was good on that front. But since then, yeah, I'd agree with you that the subtlety has completely gone (but that still doesn't qualify the band as "shit-slinging apes", by the way)

Coldplay really aren't better these days than Muse, their last album was properly dreadful from front to back. If Drones is a 4 or 5/10, A Head Full of Dreams is a 1 or a 2/10. They're still great live, but that's by virtue of their earlier songs like Yellow and Clocks, and the fact that they chuck more pyrotechnics into each show than London's average New Year's Eve fireworks celebration

I just like to casually fucking swear so it's hard to judge my mood...

It's not really arguable that Muse has seriously devolved lyrically, and when you weren't really known for great lyrics in the first place, that's a bit dire.

Stuff like Dead Inside confuses the issue, because it was actually old Muse lyric quality or better... Which then makes me believe Matt is gearing the lyrics of the songs to his audience and not typically making them personal (take Dig Down, where he flat out admits he wanted to inspire people) and he is in fact writing to the lowest common denominator.

Pretty depressing.

I've also found Coldplay unlistenable for a really long time, but that Chainsmokers crossover single that's out right now is sadly better than Dig Down.

I'm fine with people thinking Muse aren't as good as they were 10 years ago or even 5 years ago, or just outright thinking they suck (most the people in my school year didn't like them), and agree the 2009-onwards content isn't as good as what came before, but shit-slinging apes is a bit too much.

Tbf I still don't really rate Radiohead or Coldplay. But meh. I haven't voluntarily heard either in a while.

Lyrical quality is hard to come by on any album bar Abso tbf :chuckle:

Origin has its moments but it's mostly either weird gobbledygook or slightly better love/emo stuff from Showbiz. Black Holes isn't too far removed from TR imo - obvs you've got Hoodoo but other than that, is there much of a difference between the political stuff and love songs of each album?

Lyrical quality is hard to come by on any album bar Abso tbf :chuckle:

Origin has its moments but it's mostly either weird gobbledygook or slightly better love/emo stuff from Showbiz. Black Holes isn't too far removed from TR imo - obvs you've got Hoodoo but other than that, is there much of a difference between the political stuff and love songs of each album?

Weird gobbledygook is sooooo much better though than Matt groaning into your ear with painfully bad lyrics front and center.

And idk, I find BH&R's lyrics much better overall than TR.

Weird gobbledygook is sooooo much better though than Matt groaning into your ear with painfully bad lyrics front and center.

And idk, I find BH&R's lyrics much better overall than TR.

Oh yeah, it's 100% better. I'm just saying particularly good lyrics have always been a bit of a rarity for Matt so it doesn't really factor into me liking or disliking a Muse song, it's just a nice bonus when it happens.

Edited by Jobby

• 2 months later...
Was there ever any confirmation that the heavy song exists? I thought it was just a fan who claimed to have met them.
Nah it was stated by Dom in an interview a few weeks ago. "quite heavy" and "quite prog" I think were the quotes.

They've still got that soft acoustic ballad-y one as well.

This release method's gonna be a bit wank if they're gonna be spaced so far apart. If you get something not so great (like Dig Down), you're looking at 7/8 months wait until you might hear a good new song. At least with a normal album, if the lead single's not great, you've got a full album's worth of other material to look forward to within 2/3 months.