So. Matt and Dom are 38, Chris is 37. I might see a pattern here. You know how some bands kinda slump with their material when they've been around for a while and the members are approaching certain age? Like, for example, Nightwish. Their fan-favorite album has to be 'Once' from 2004. Then they(of course, with a different vocalist) made DPP and Imaginaerum, which were slight letdowns for many fans, including me. Last year they released EFMB(again with a new vocalist tho) which is one of their best of all time. Tuomas hits 40 years of age this year.

This is just stupid speculation, but T2L and Drones being slight letdowns(imo) I would be slightly more optimistic for the next Muse album than what we had for Drones :D

Floor is amazing though. Only recently got into Nightwish but their latest album definitely is a gateway to their older stuff. Wouldn't have happened with Annette and Tarja's cover of Supremacy at Hellfest massively pissed me off.

But Toumas really brought out the best of Annette in Imaginaerum. Some of those songs are among their best.

So. Matt and Dom are 38, Chris is 37. I might see a pattern here. You know how some bands kinda slump with their material when they've been around for a while and the members are approaching certain age? Like, for example, Nightwish. Their fan-favorite album has to be 'Once' from 2004. Then they(of course, with a different vocalist) made DPP and Imaginaerum, which were slight letdowns for many fans, including me. Last year they released EFMB(again with a new vocalist tho) which is one of their best of all time. Tuomas hits 40 years of age this year.

This is just stupid speculation, but T2L and Drones being slight letdowns(imo) I would be slightly more optimistic for the next Muse album than what we had for Drones :D

You're right, one example definitely is a pattern.

Death Magnetic was released when the members of Metallica had just reached their 40s.

And then there's The King of Limbs...but that feels almost rude to mention after Death Magnetic. It wasn't THAT bad.

Yeah - if you're happy, you're happy. No real point judging someone for enjoying it for what it is, even if it could be a better product.

Thing is, the most vocal type of fans on the subject are generally the ones that say (without a sense of irony) that they would be happy with Matt going up on stage and farting into the microphone.

Then if you voice an opposing view, you're labeled "toxic" by the people you're spending 10-15 hours in line with. Speaking from experience, I had plenty of people coming up to me and saying "I can't really say anything because it'll go against ___/____ & ____ but ....."

I think it is perfectly fair to say that as a consumer, you should always be looking out to get equal treatment/value out of a service/product/performance and advocate for better treatment/value AND that anyone that goes against that statement are delusional morons.

I don't know the circumstances under which that Icelandic festival got 14 songs, shit happens in a live setting but I certainly don't want to send the message that is acceptable.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Wut? DM is 8,468,246x the album St Anger is.

Neither of them are great though, but at least DM has some essence of Metallica (and less of that fucking snare!).

I'd say DM is the album with the least essence of them, as it seems that they made it because they "had to". Every work they've done ( even Lulu) is about testing their boundaries, even if you do or don't like each and every one. I love the old Metallica deeply and it is the reason I grabbed the gutitar but yet I find myself listening to Load and Reload more often. St. Anger just gets you this raw feeling. It obviously has great riffage and you can clearly understand how they felt when they produced it and the feelings James had back then. Also the DVD is just great, you have to think the album as a whole project to embrace it.

In DM other than my Apocalypse, all nightmare long and the "how can I be lost " part of unforgiven 3, is just meh for me.

Lol how should I know? :p I don't have much anticipation actually, I just hope I won't skip it like DM when I bum into it. Truth is I read somewhere couple months ago that Metallica is "The biggest cover band of Metallica". First I laughed then I felt just sad.

Death Magnetic was released when the members of Metallica had just reached their 40s.

And then there's The King of Limbs...but that feels almost rude to mention after Death Magnetic. It wasn't THAT bad.

I think it was worse. Death Magnetic has 2 good songs, TKoL maaaybe 1

I'm sure a while ago there was talk of an electronic sound (like Map or MK)

I got the impression they meant more Madness/UD/Follow Me tbh. I don't think they'd class stuff like Map and MK as electronic, that's probs just 'rock' to them.