Been listening to a lot of Tool lately, and imagining what Muse would sound like if they actually experimented with different time signatures (the handful of times that they've done anything other than 4/4 so far has been pretty standard stuff). Do you guys think Muse actually has the skill to pull off anything truly difficult?

The extended bit of US is fantastic, and my opinion is better than yours, sorry guys.

"Do you guys think Muse actually has the skill to pull off anything truly difficult?"

Sure, they are great musicians, the question is if they want to do that. Lately they are dumbing down lyrics to be more accesible to general audiences, Wouldn't surprise me if they do the same with the music. The last "out of the norm" songs they did were Exogenesis and Drones, and weren't well received here because aren't "Rawr" and cannot headbang with them at the gigs, and outside here were mostly inadverted because is not mainstream music.

Edited by Finn.

Sure, they are great musicians

I don't think the answer is as simple as that. Their output isn't generally that difficult, and whenever Matt is faced with something a bit odd tempo wise, he seems to drop it completely (MK Ultra for example). I was surprised that he actually seemed to work to get the part in The Handler right, but that took him a while.

And what, Exogenesis was very well recieved, both among fans and critics.

But Matt HAS said that he often avoids doing anything truly difficult on the guitar so he won't have to work that much live, but then after that he has released songs which he described as him actually "trying", so maybe that's what we've seen in tracks like Animals and Reapers.

I've had Resistance at every show I've seen them, but it does tend to go down well live to be fair. It's just that they've got too many songs like it already really. They seem determined to cram them all into the same set.

Seeing them again on Friday... Secretly hoping for Assassin, but knowing them, we'll probably get Resistance again :rolleyes:

Same here. It kinda feels like roulette at this point. I'm just hoping on not getting Resistance, since I believe I've got that at every gig. Same for Hysteria.

I'd be VERY happy with getting something like MotP, CE or Stockholm, since I've never seen the first two live. But yeah, it'll probably be Resistance, UD or Feeling Good...

Do you know if they have tried 'Map of the Problematique + Psycho'? I mean straight into Psycho with the 0305030 riff after MOTP.

At a festival in 2013 (may have been Personal Fest, probs wrong here) they played MOTP followed by (what was then) the 0305030 riff in drop C

At a festival in 2013 (may have been Personal Fest, probs wrong here) they played MOTP followed by (what was then) the 0305030 riff in drop C
I think it's with that in mind that the person is asking if they've done the whole song like that.

At least you've set those expectations that low that no Resistance is probably a bonus. :chuckle:

It's the best way to go these days, who knows how they'll surprise me :LOL:

Same here. It kinda feels like roulette at this point. I'm just hoping on not getting Resistance, since I believe I've got that at every gig. Same for Hysteria.

I'd be VERY happy with getting something like MotP, CE or Stockholm, since I've never seen the first two live. But yeah, it'll probably be Resistance, UD or Feeling Good...

I've seen them six times since 2012 and think I've only had one gig without Resistance, a few more without Hysteria though (which I like better). Then again, I've also only seen Feeling Good once so I can't really complain :chuckle:

Still disappointed that Muse didn't do something crazy for Drones, right before the protagonist turned the whole thing around. The album (and I) needed a truly dark, twisted moment. But Muse haven't been that kind of band for like 15 years.

Been listening to a lot of Tool lately, and imagining what Muse would sound like if they actually experimented with different time signatures (the handful of times that they've done anything other than 4/4 so far has been pretty standard stuff). Do you guys think Muse actually has the skill to pull off anything truly difficult?

Well they have played with time signatures a bit here and there: Animals is in 5/4, and Micro Cuts fluctuates between 4/4 and 6/4. I don't see them writing something as complex as Schism or Rosetta Stoned, but I think they're entirely capable of writing more difficult music than what they have been. I'm assuming that it's less of an issue of their skill than them just not wanting to write anything particularly hard.