:LOL: no I mean it. I said there were a few exceptions (like Animals, Micro Cus and Supremacy) but those were quite standard, despite not being in 4/4. But let's not take this further, I don't want to support the notion that more complex=better.

:LOL: no I mean it. I said there were a few exceptions (like Animals, Micro Cus and Supremacy) but those were quite standard, despite not being in 4/4. But let's not take this further, I don't want to support the notion that more complex=better.

Just had to check :LOL: And of course more complex=/= better - if it did Drones would probably be one of their best albums - but it's an interesting point, because despite all the claims that they're some of the best musicians in rock, they'e clearly outclassed by a lot of acts (although Matt does seem to be a better pianist than many of his peers).

Honestly if be happy with a simple album from them so long as the music is still interesting.

I don't know how to tell if a song is 4/4, 5/4 etc I usually understand of how it repeats itself by hitting my foot on the floor :LOL: I usually count 8 beats (?), not 4 though. Anyway isn't TSP not an "ordinary" song by means of counting? I remember smth I saw on the making of Abso dvd, or am I wrong?

Edited by nkdmtro

I'm not very good at telling time signatures but seems like 4/4 to me. He was counting 22 measures in the chorus in the making of thing.

But 4 isn't a factor of 22 :p Or this not the way to measure? I thought it should be "smth,smth,smth,smth" then again the same pattern. Tried just now to count TSP, but it's confusing

EDIT: I'm talking about the chorus mostly and the verse, the riff obviously is in 4 beats

Edited by nkdmtro

But 4 isn't a factor of 22 :p Or this not the way to measure? I thought it should be "smth,smth,smth,smth" then again the same pattern. Tried just now to count TSP, but it's confusing

EDIT: I'm talking about the chorus mostly and the verse, the riff obviously is in 4 beats

The whole song is in 4/4, in the chorus (beginning from the 'say', excluding the pre chorus/intro riff, after the bee and prior to the chorus) there is 22 bars/measures of 4/4 in the chorus

Hope this helped :)

Yep that's true it goes to 6/4 at some points during the verses

Ah cheers, thought so! Just trying to think of everything they've done which isn't in 4/4...

Take A Bow, Falling Down, Blackout, Exogenesis and RBS in 3/4, not a particularly 'out there' signature but ah well.

Animals and the outro of Agitated in 5/4.

Assassin and Micro Cuts with changes to 6/4.

Outro to Cave? Not listened for a while but is there a 5/4 change in there somewhere?

Might have missed a few. Some experimentation with odd time signatures would be great on a future album, they've definitely got the technical ability.

Ah cheers, thought so! Just trying to think of everything they've done which isn't in 4/4...

Take A Bow, Falling Down, Blackout, Exogenesis and RBS in 3/4, not a particularly 'out there' signature but ah well.

+ Soldier's Poem and their (awful) cover of PPPLMGWIW, I think.

Yay for pointless nitpicks :awesome:

Although a reworked song, Drones is easily the most complex song of the album.

I wouldn't say Drones is particularly complex tbh. Either way though, that's only one song on the album. On the whole, it might be their least complex record.

Edited by Jobby

Drones is such a curate's egg. Dead Inside, Reapers and The Handler are SO good.

But the rest ranges from SO shit to barely mediocre. And that's been true of Muse since BH&R, frankly.

It's annoying because it makes me keep on believing they've got a great, consistent album left in them...

Drones is such a curate's egg. Dead Inside, Reapers and The Handler are SO good.

But the rest ranges from SO shit to barely mediocre. And that's been true of Muse since BH&R, frankly.

It's annoying because it makes me keep on believing they've got a great, consistent album left in them...

I think calling any of the songs off Drones shit is a bit excessive.

So true, they keep producing just about enough great material per album to keep me hooked. Although frankly my pessimism has grown to the point where I'm no longer thinking "so psyched for the new Muse album!!!" so much as "so psyched for the 2-3 great songs on the new Muse album!!!".

So true, they keep producing just about enough great material per album to keep me hooked. Although frankly my pessimism has grown to the point where I'm no longer thinking "so psyched for the new Muse album!!!" so much as "so psyched for the 2-3 great songs on the new Muse album!!!".

Yes, I get this.

On Drones, for me, its The Handler (standout track) and The Globalist, then 'bits' of some of the others. The riff and the base line in Psycho. The tempo change in Revolt. The last minute of Dead Inside. Reapers progginess.

:confused: