Your reviews of Drones

Jimmyneutron

What is your favourite track on Drones?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite track on Drones?

• Dead Inside
    • Drill Sergeant
    • Psycho
    • Mercy
    • Reapers
    • The Handler
    • JFK
    • Defector
    • Revolt
    • Aftermath
    • The Globalist
    • Drones

You are amusing. Sure, everyone is free from blame except for Tjet always.
1. You seem to continuously miss the point which is that you always demand long, educated and well articulated reasons for not liking something on the album, but as soon as someone says "I like Aftermath" you basically kiss them.

And everyone who doesn't agree with you is "mad", while everyone who praises the album and accuses any haters of both this and that gets a "hallelujah"

Dead Inside - 5.0/10

Very 'meh' from me, not a bad song but not the sort of Muse that I like

Drill Sergeant + Psycho - 5.5/10

Great riff, but killed a bit through repetition. When it comes to Muse, lyrics are not a deal-breaker for me, but these were just out of this world terrible and cringe-y at times.

Mercy - 5.0/10

Another 'meh', not that much to say about this one to be honest and hence the '5'

Reapers - 7.5/10

Ok, here we go... Killer chorus riff makes this song for me. The outro part is a good listen too. Lyrics pretty bad again but I don't particularly care in this case. Better than the rock songs of T2L and The Resistance and a step in the right direction

The Handler - 9.0/10

Pardon my French... but where the **** did this song come from! I can't only be me that thinks this is the best song Matt has written since Absolution? I could spend ages listing everything which is so right about this song but I'll highlight the vocals which are just superb... Just shows they still have it in them.

JFK + Defector - 5.5/10

Again a cool riff, not a bad tune but not too keen on the vocals.

Revolt - 2.0/10

I could tell from the first 5 seconds I was going to hate it, however it wasn't until the chorus that I realised how much I would hate it. Skip every time for me.

Aftermath - 4.0/10

'Meh'

The Globalist - 5.5/10

Lot's of built up hype for this one, but a bit disappointed personally. It has potential and I can see why it was referred to as citizen erased 2.0, but as others have said I think Matt misunderstood what the fans love about citizen erased.

Drones - NA/10

Very different, can't really review it. I don't hate it, just an interesting way to close the album. I don't think it is meant to be listened on its own but as part of the 'story' of the album.

The Whole 'Drones' concept - 4.0/10

I don't think there is anywhere near enough depth in the human Drones idea for this to be a compelling concept. It get's a bit annoying after a while too (for me anyway)

Overall - 6.0/10 (gave a bonus point for The Handler)

I personally rate harshly for all music so that my real favourites stand out more so this mark isn't actually too bad. For reference I would give,

Showbiz - 6.0/10

OoS - 9.0/10

Absolution - 8.5/10

BHAR - 7.0/10

The Resistance - 6.0/10

T2L - 4.0/10

I agree with pretty much all of that, except I'd add a point to everything you rated.

Couple differences:

Revolt gets a 1.

Defector gets an 8 (it's simple, but it sounds good to me)

T2L gets a 6.

Drones, the song, gets a 7.

Not sure of my favourite track as I have only heard the last 4 songs once.

I do not get all the 'Mercy' haters though as I love it in the same way I love Resistance

The album is currently my 4th favourite Muse album and defo better than the last 3.

Best concept album since the Wall.

Updated mini-review/list after nearly a week of letting the album settle:

Reapers - 8.5/10

The Handler - 8.5/10

Dead Inside - 7/10

Revolt - 7/10

JFK + Defector - 7/10

The Globalist - 7/10

Psycho - 7/10

Drones - 6/10

Aftermath - 4/10

Mercy - 3/10

Could still change over time but this is a pretty solid album.

1. You seem to continuously miss the point which is that you always demand long, educated and well articulated reasons for not liking something on the album, but as soon as someone says "I like Aftermath" you basically kiss them.

And everyone who doesn't agree with you is "mad", while everyone who praises the album and accuses any haters of both this and that gets a "hallelujah"

I'm not missing any point seeing as I only ask for justification for what I take as militant viewpoints. Fabri just seemed upset that Muse are "ripping off other artists" so that's how I took that, then many posts ensued.

On the comparisons to other bands, yeah ok there are Queen and U2 similarities. But I really don't think their going out of their way and aiming purposely to sound or rip off these bands. (cant stand Queen or U2) I remember a interview a few years back when talking about the making of Resistance I think, Matt Bellamy saying they sung specific song, played it back and only then discovered he/it sounded a bit like Queen. They thought about changing it but decided fuck it. I can't remember where I read or seen this interview, but to me that sounds like a band who are just trying to expand their sound and accidently fall on a sound that sounds similar to someone else. I never compare because to me everything they do sounds like Muse, just sometimes within a different genre of music. Maybe its because i'm very picky with what I do/will listen to and i've never really sat down and listened to Queen or U2... but to me its Muse being Muse.

I'm not missing any point seeing as I only ask for justification for what I take as militant viewpoints. Fabri just seemed upset that Muse are "ripping off other artists" so that's how I took that, then many posts ensued.

I agree, as i pretty much mentioned in a previous post.

Maybe if you bothered to read my posts instead of assuming their meaning... Go read what I said about every song. It's not because they rip off a fuck ton of artists. Although that surely isn't a good thing.

Also the point that the riff section/solo in The Globalist is that short because it portrays the quick destruction of the world is absolutely hilarious.

:LOL: I'll probably post my own review in about a week. Been too busy to sit down and make a coherent analysis

Can't wait. :)

It isn't.

Yeah, it's like a portrayal of the "Blitzkrieg" by guitar, quick and frenetic. I think he has a point. I mean, they could have expanded the solo 1 or 2 minutes more without any problem and with some variations, I think it's a stylistic choice who fits the concept. But, I don't know, I don't think the guitar part is that short.

What's wrong with having a deeper insight or interpretation of a song?

I tend to overthink about... things, but I really think he has a point. It's like "The Handler" solo, I love it because it's the turning point in the narrative, when the protagonist starts to free himself. And I can picture him going mad and crazy while he's struggling to free his mind, with the solo as background music :LOL::LOL:.