Your reviews of Drones

Jimmyneutron

What is your favourite track on Drones?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite track on Drones?

• Dead Inside
    • Drill Sergeant
    • Psycho
    • Mercy
    • Reapers
    • The Handler
    • JFK
    • Defector
    • Revolt
    • Aftermath
    • The Globalist
    • Drones

The tempo changes are shitty. That's my main problem with it

Yeah, it makes the song feel really weird, but I think it might have been necessary. If the prechorus/chorus were at the same tempo as the verses, the song definitely would have a heavier vibe to it, which doesn't appear to be what Muse intended for this song. And given that my favorite part of the song is the verses, I'll take a shitty tempo change over an entire song at the tempo of the chorus.

Yeah, it makes the song feel really weird, but I think it might have been necessary. If the prechorus/chorus were at the same tempo as the verses, the song definitely would have a heavier vibe to it, which doesn't appear to be what Muse intended for this song. And given that my favorite part of the song is the verses, I'll take a shitty tempo change over an entire song at the tempo of the chorus.

As has been said before: the change from chorus back to verse isn't too bad, but the one from verse to chorus is UNFORGIVEABLE!

Album is garnering a lot of praise from most critics it seems, many of the one's we've heard from so far anyway. Just waiting for Pitchfork to chime in now :LOL:

I'm super surprised by the reviews. Maybe the album is better without the context of being a Muse fan.

Didn't see this thread. I'm bored to shit so I might as well pop it in here too

A personal summary.

Dead Inside - absolutely electric, it's like Undisclosed Desires got into bed with Madness. Definitely my favourite on the album. The guitar chords before the bridge, the bridge itself, and how it descends into a dramatic and emotional final chorus just tears at my heart. Fucking 11/10.

Psycho - lyrics are a bit "vulgar", for want of a better word, compared to Muse's previous works. Like, if a few years ago you told me I'd hear a Muse song with "your ass belongs to me now" in the chorus, I wouldn't have believed you. Still, it's great seeing that old classic jam riff made into a full song, and I honestly can't think of how it could have been done better.

Mercy - a bit "light" and "bright", but I like it. I dig the deep guitar tone. Neat bassline, and I also like the Bliss-style arpeggios. Sounds very BHaR-inspired.

Reapers - fucking monstrous on all fronts from start to finish. That's all I really need to say. Tapping is usually looked upon as ostentatious and belonging to the 80's, but it genuinely fits well as an intro here. Great verses, leading into heavy breakdown sections tighter than a nun's devotion to God. First time I heard that solo my penis left my body and ascended to another plane of existence, and I went straight to eBay to scrounge up a Digitech Whammy. I'm not lying. The outro is mental, they pretty much just forgot they were recording in the studio and launched into riffery as if ending the song live.

The Handler - another favourite. Dark, desolate, and stripped back. The solo echoes of Stockholm Syndrome mixed with In Your World, and feels like Absolution revisited.

Defector - Q U E E N A S F U C K. Not a bad thing, it's fuckin' great. I think this one's the Queeniest they've ever been.

Revolt - this one's made for the stadiums. Bright, positive and energetic, I was a bit taken aback at first. The change in tempo is a bit jarring. Bit of an oddball, this one, but it's grown on me a little bit.

Aftermath - sounds extremely Dire Straits-inspired to begin with, echoes of Brothers In Arms. Overall a very nice and mellow tune :happy:

The Globalist - that intro dragged on like a motherfucker; we're talking three minutes of Western-type whistling and slide guitar here. It was a little bit much for me, but after that I do see a slight reminiscence to the latter part of Citizen Erased. Then BAM, riffage. Helsinki Jam all up in this bitch. Eyes wide open, nipples erect. Dat tremolo picking. Good lord. Then that's over pretty soon and it becomes United States of Eurasia. Oh well. That middle section could've been something biblical though.

Drones - loved it, beautiful. Will be great live. Can't wait for instrumental version.

Overall, seven Pringles™ out of ten. It all took a bit of an odd dive at Revolt, but the first six tracks are, in my mind, some of the very best songs they've put out in recent times. Very satisfied even if the final third isn't quite up to snuff.

tl;dr everything is fucking five star up until Revolt, where the album eats something it shouldn't and takes a bit of a funny turn but it's still alright I guess

'Sup guys. I haven't posted on here in a while (though I've been lurking a bit lately), but I just finished listening to Drones and thought I'd chime in on the discussion. Overall, I like the album a lot. The first half (through Defector) is freaking amazing. The second half is... interesting. It's really different, and might take some getting used to. Aftermath is beautiful. The Globalist is solid, but IMO it's more "Eurasia Extended Edition" than "Citizen Erased Pt 2." I'm still torn on Revolt. I almost don't like it because it's so not what I expect from Muse, but it's also kinda fun and catchy. I feel like if I heard it on the radio and didn't know it was Muse, I'd probably really enjoy it but I'd never guess that it was them. I'm not really crazy about Drones TBH. The vocal harmonies sound good and it's an interesting idea, but I dunno... Maybe it'll grow on me, but it's just not my cup of tea. Great album overall though. I'll have to listen to it a few more times, but right now I'd say it's pretty close with The Resistance as my 3rd or 4th favorite Muse album (behind Absolution and OoS).

Ratings:

Dead Inside - 8/10

Drill Sgt./Psycho - 7.5/10

Mercy - 6.5/10

Reapers - 9/10

The Handler - 10/10

JFK/Defector - 9/10

Revolt - somewhere between 4/10 and 7/10, haven't decided yet

Aftermath - 7.5/10

The Globalist - 7/10

Drones - 5/10

Because Muse isn't that deep of a band. I think fans put more thought and analysis into Muse songs than Muse themselves do lol.

The jet engines, footstomping, Hey! chants and countdown are perfectly mixed in with the escalation of the guitar part. It's not even that far fetched in this case.

The guitar can represent the end of the world. But it doesn't make sense to say that it's right to make it that short because the end of the world lasts 80 seconds. It could have been 2 minutes long and still fitting the "concept".

It's the last part of escalation after the countdown building into a climax. Full-scale nuclear war is over after the first bombs hit.

I would enjoy that last part bein longer because I love it, but I also like what they were going for.

Thanks for your input, as usual

You are really not the one to talk after returning from your ban, half of your posts since are sarcasm and passive-agressiveness. It took 3 people partly agreeing with my interpretation before you took the time to respond decently instead acting like I'm an idiot.

Edited by Dillyracer

I'll keep it short and sweet.

Dead Inside: 8/10: Nothing really to say except it's great.

Drill Sergeant: 5/10

Pyscho: 7/10: Very repetitive, although the classic riff and Matt at 3:25 make the song for me.

Mercy: 6/10: Awful chorus- I like the verses though. It is Starlight's angry cousin.

Reapers: 10/10: So much stuff crammed into an amazing song- voices, AC/DC vibe etc.

The Handler: 11/10: The best parts of Absolution in one song. Their best song... ever?

JFK: 10/10

Defector: 8/10: Abysmal lyrics at times, but the guitar work and catchy Queen-style delivery is fantastic.

Revolt: 6/10: Muse does pop and it isn't actually terrible.

Aftermath: 8/10: I usually hate slow, long, love songs but Muse have pulled it out of the bag with this one.

The Globalist: 8/10: I don't really know with this one.

Drones: N/A: Is this even a song? I don't know if it's clever or just downright pretentious, or possibly both.

Overall: 8/10: Shit lyrics, great flow. Chris is a god :chris:

OoS> Absolution > Drones > BH&R > 2nd Law > Showbiz > The Resistance

Reading all the mediocre reviews I was a bit worried, but I loved it tbh!

I loved The Globalist, Reapers and The Handler.

Not so much Mercy and Revolt, but I don't think the latter is as bad as everyone makes out.

Massive let down, considering this was meant to be their most rock album in the last 10 years and all we got was 3 out of 12 rock songs :| Starting to believe they've honestly forgotten what rock music sounds like.

Maybe I just set my expectations too high.

3 out of 12? Interesting

Massive let down, considering this was meant to be their most rock album in the last 10 years and all we got was 3 out of 12 rock songs :| Starting to believe they've honestly forgotten what rock music sounds like.

Maybe I just set my expectations too high.

Okay first of all, counting Drill Sergeant and JFK as songs is ridiculous. Secondly, Psycho, The Handler, Reapers and Defector are all obvious rock songs. The Globalist is prog-rock, Mercy and Revolt are pop--rock.

All in all I'd say the album has about 5 out of 10 songs that are rock, with a lot more that are simply poppy rock songs.

Okay first of all, counting Drill Sergeant and JFK as songs is ridiculous. Secondly, Psycho, The Handler, Reapers and Defector are all obvious rock songs. The Globalist is prog-rock, Mercy and Revolt are pop--rock.

All in all I'd say the album has about 5 out of 10 songs that are rock, with a lot more that are simply poppy rock songs.

I'd rather be hit in the face by a fire truck than listen to defector ever again.

Haven't posted on here in yonks, and actually deleted my posts due to an actual psycho stalker...this album is very apt. Ha.

Dead Inside 9/10 - Beautiful beautiful vocals. I am totally in love with this song.

Psycho 7/10 - Great for having a full-on mosh to, will never forget the energy at Exeter Great Hall when they opened with this! It's still pretty redneck haha... Won't mention the lyrics.

Mercy 6/10 It's growing on me.

Reapers 9/10 Fucking LOVE this. That is all.

The Handler 9/10 Classic Muse at its best. Love the vocal effects in the first verse. Love how dark this one is. Love the bass riff. Vocals are defo more OOS style in this one, hence it is so flipping good. And the guitar solo/build up from 2.20 onwards. Pretty much love everything about this one.

Defector 6/10 Not fussed. Although it was stuck in my head this morning, so its defo catchy. Queen innit. Like the JFK speech too.

Revolt 5/10 This could definitely be in a musical.... proper cheesy.

Aftermath 6/10 Music is good, nice to listen to, lyrics are vomit inducing.

The Globalist 8/10 This reminds me of War of the Worlds. Actually a lot of the album does. NOT Citizen Erased pt2 in any way shape or form. But it stands on its own. The drum build up in the second part (5.25 onwards) are very System of a Down, like that tribal sound. Cool and again there's that epic, musical soundscape style...

Drones 5/10 Yeah... this is just really the end of the Globalist right? But they didn't want to end on 11 tracks especially when essentially 2 of the 12 already aren't songs...

Overall Album: 8/10

Did I see a review on here saying Reapers reminded the listener of Robbie Williams with the chorus?

I hear Aerosmith, but not RW. Bit of an interesting comparison though - not far off the Q line that Unnatural Selection was a hard rock version of an Abba track.

Did I see a review on here saying Reapers reminded the listener of Robbie Williams with the chorus?

I hear Aerosmith, but not RW. Bit of an interesting comparison though - not far off the Q line that Unnatural Selection was a hard rock version of an Abba track.

That comparison was done because the "counter balance this commotion" line pretty much follows this: https://youtu.be/gIQ98ZOulSo?t=1m10s