Your reviews of Drones

Jimmyneutron

What is your favourite track on Drones?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite track on Drones?

• Dead Inside
    • Drill Sergeant
    • Psycho
    • Mercy
    • Reapers
    • The Handler
    • JFK
    • Defector
    • Revolt
    • Aftermath
    • The Globalist
    • Drones

Dead Inside - 8

Psycho - 8

Mercy - 7

Reapers - 9,5

The Handler - 9

Defector - 10

Revolt - 6

Aftermath - 7

The Globalist - 9

Drones - 8

In total, the score is 8,15/10. I really liked this album! Defector was the best, it has grown on me so much since the first time, when I didn't even like it. The song Drones was surprisingly good! Did not expect that finalé at all, but I tought it was perfect!

Edited by arildsundby

My quick track-by-track review. Opinions my own etc:

Despite the videos for Handler and Defector being released last week, I didn't touch them, so I could leave myself something new to listen to upon buying the album. From Handler onwards, this is my very first impression based on one or two listens.

Dead Inside

Of a similar ilk to Madness and Undisclosed Desires, but a far better managed song and piece of music than either. Prefer the first half - the "Revere a million prayers" melody really works for me. Gets a touch Bono-ish at the end, which I'm not such a fan of, but the balance is just right. 7.5/10

Drill Sergeant/Psycho

Cracking barnstorming riff. Yes, it's a touch overlong, but there's something just FUN about it. Also amazing live (and wonderful to see the performance from Barrowlands on the DVD - I can see myself!) 9/10

Mercy

Sounds a bit like them on autopilot - Starlight piano, Bliss arpeggi and Stockholm chorus lead-in. Still, not at all bad, and will almost certainly be a lot of fun live. 6.5/10

Reapers

This is more like it. Honestly, I think this is one of my very favourite Muse tracks ever. In moving through all those different keys and sonic areas with great riffage and a truly amazing solo, it's everything I want from Muse. 10/10

The Handler

Oh, and it doesn't seem to stop. Can't add much more to what's already been said - properly heavy and interesting, they've managed to find a new way to write an interesting, heavy song. Brilliant. 10/10

JFK/Defector

Loving the integration of the JFK speech and music. Defector is still a great fun song. Less of a fan of the Queen-ish vocals, and I'd have preferred them to develop from the stop-start motif. 7/10

Revolt

Don't agree with the level of hate this seems to be getting - it's certainly the weakest song on the album but in terms of the context of the album, I think it works. It needs to be uplifting and hopeful, that's its point. Nothing wrong with it at all, they can just do a very good deal better. 5/10

Aftermath

The obligatory stadium sing-alongy, quietish one. They've done better, but I still think this outranks Unintended, Guiding Shite, Follow Me and Explorers. There's something quite personal and intimate about it, and I love the Gilmour-ish guitar, reminds a bit of Division Bell/Endless River. Not bad. 7/10

The Globalist

Wasted potential for me - this could've been fantastic, but instead it's merely very good. Doesn't help that I'm really not a fan of Elgar (Hubert Parry's where it's at). Absolutely love the Morricone and 7-string parts, though. 7/10

Drones

Where the hell did this come from?! I seriously love this - I've always loved plainchant from the 1500s, and it really works. Ghostly, utterly atmospheric and very, very fitting. Beautiful. 8.5/10

Overall, I think it could definitely have been better, but for me, every track on Drones outranks every track on The Resistance and The 2nd Law. While it doesn't have the consistently high quality that Black Holes and Revelations has, it is the most cohesive thing they've done since then, and for me, three of the tracks (Psycho, Reapers and The Handler) rank up with the best they've ever done.

My album ranking:

1. Black Holes and Revelations

2. Drones

3. Origin of Symmetry

4. Absolution

5. The Resistance

6. The 2nd Law

7. Showbiz

[Grr, this bloody keyboard. Edited...]

Edited by outside_now

I'm not going to quote you, Outside Now because it was a huge fucking post :LOL: but I agree with what you said about Aftermath, one of their strongest quiet songs since Unintended. I personally gave it a much higher rating but I can understand why it might not be your cup of tea. Love your score for Drones (the song) though, one of the highest I think I've seen

I'm not going to quote you, Outside Now because it was a huge fucking post :LOL: but I agree with what you said about Aftermath, one of their strongest quiet songs since Unintended. I personally gave it a much higher rating but I can understand why it might not be your cup of tea. Love your score for Drones (the song) though, one of the highest I think I've seen

Haha - it didn't seem that big when I was writing it! But yeah, it's only really the 'bigness' of Aftermath towards the end that didn't quite work for me, I'd have been happier with it if they'd kept it a little smaller scale. Notched it up to 7 after another listen. ;) And yeah, I thought Drones (the song) was brilliant. :)

Edited by outside_now

Yeah, it makes the song feel really weird, but I think it might have been necessary. If the prechorus/chorus were at the same tempo as the verses, the song definitely would have a heavier vibe to it, which doesn't appear to be what Muse intended for this song. And given that my favorite part of the song is the verses, I'll take a shitty tempo change over an entire song at the tempo of the chorus.

Uhm... That's very curious, because I actually think the opposite: if the bubbly and uplifting pre-chorus/chorus style had been applied to the whole song, I feel it would have resulted in a more generic track.

The beat and its execution in verses is instead quite pounding and heavier than chorus, and guitar feedbacks contribute to the massive stadio mood.

Gonna be honest, was scared I wouldn't like it but I really really do.

I appreciate all Muse tbh, I like Guding Light and NSC, but then I also like CE, New Born and Stockholm Syndrome.

I don't listen to Muse's work specifically for rock elements, I enjoy it for what it is, which very often is just damn good music. And for all intents and purposes, whatever genre Muse tackle and whatever technique they employ, for me at least it always ends up as an appreciable and beautifully written piece of music.

I think if I'd come into Drones looking specifically for a heavy, hard-rock album then I'd be disappointed. But coming into it as a Muse album, I do really love it. (apart from some of the lyrics though ;) )

Gonna be honest, was scared I wouldn't like it but I really really do.

I appreciate all Muse tbh, I like Guding Light and NSC, but then I also like CE, New Born and Stockholm Syndrome.

I don't listen to Muse's work specifically for rock elements, I enjoy it for what it is, which very often is just damn good music. And for all intents and purposes, whatever genre Muse tackle and whatever technique they employ, for me at least it always ends up as an appreciable and beautifully written piece of music.

I think if I'd come into Drones looking specifically for a heavy, hard-rock album then I'd be disappointed. But coming into it as a Muse album, I do really love it. (apart from some of the lyrics though ;) )

A much more succinct version of what I think than I managed. ;)

Dead Inside - Best song of the album. Amazing vocal melody. 9/10

Psycho - Too long but riff is still sexy as fuck. 7/10

Mercy - It's alright and will probably grow on me similarly to Follow Me. 6/10

Reapers - Such a shitty chorus. The rest is great, but the chorus just ruins it. 4/10

The Handler - Great song. 9/10

Defector - Really shitty. I don't want to listen to it, yet I feel compelled to check if I still think it's that shitty every once in a while. 2/10

Revolt - Even shittier. What the fuck. 1/10

Aftermath - End the song after the second chorus and it would've been pretty good. Remove the intro and shorten the solo and it would've been an alright Eurovision Song Contest entry. 5/10

The Globalist - Everything up to the end of the heavy part is amazing, but then it turns into four minutes of shittyness. Extend the heavy part and cut the shittyness and it would've been the best song on the album. 7/10

Drones - Sooo shitty what the fuuuck. 1/10

Overall, it's pretty much on par with Showbiz. That is to say, tied for worst Muse album.

Edited by Chagi

Dead Inside - 8.5/10

Loved it the moment it came out - a darker, more complete version of Madness. The lyrics have received criticism, however I think the simplicity of them fits the song and Matt delivers them brilliantly.

Psycho - 7.5/10

Very simple, rock-by-numbers, but it's enjoyable enough. Probably a couple of minutes too long though.

Mercy - 8/10

Disliked it at first, but it's grown on me very quickly, then again, I like Starlight more than most. I like the piano work & like Dead Inside, the vocal delivery is spot on.

Reapers - 9.5/10

Possibly the most fun Muse song ever, whenever I listen to it, I'm just :D the whole way through. It's interesting that most seem to consider it quite dark - I see it as having a rather Supermassive Black Hole quality to it.

The Handler - 9.5/10

Pretty much Muse at their best - a real Absolution feel about it. Very important track for the album in my opinion, not just because it's excellent, but adds a bit of menace that underpins the entire album.

Defector - 8/10

Yet another very fun track, think it could be brilliant live. Nothing special, but bridges the gap between the two halves of the album effectively.

Revolt - 6/10

Eh, it's ok. Nowhere near as bad as some make out, in all honesty I'd probably like it more if it wasn't by Muse - it'd be probably the last Muse song I'd want any non-Muse fan to hear, I'd be ever-so-slightly embarrassed.

Aftermath - ????/10

Haven't made my mind up yet, it just doesn't sound like Muse. Sounds like a mix between Pink Floyd, Take That & Queen - not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet. Need time to decide on it.

The Globalist - 9/10

Can understand why people are disappointed, but I love it. Has an epic feel, despite 90% of it being quite understated. Three very distinct parts, I get the impression a lot don't like the last third, but I feel it wraps the whole album up nicely.

Drones - ?????/10

Hmmmm...well it's not really a track is it? Should be considered an outro to the whole album. I applaud them for doing something completely different though.

Overall - 8/10

Brilliantly done, pretty much covered the positives already. Not sure it flows that well as an album (i.e. not as 'conceptual' as it was advertised to be). Ironically, the Muse album that flows best as an album (OOS) is probably the one designed to be the least conceptual :LOL:

Better than the last two albums, Showbiz too. Contender with BHAR for third best album, too early to tell.

I just spent 15 mins writing a review only to be logged out and lose it all. I can't be arsed to do that again, so I'll cut to the chase - 6/10, possibly 7. Good, but not great. Drill Sergeant, JFK and Drones ruin the overall listening experience. Love the Handler and The Globalist - very Bohemian Rhapsody like to me.

Over use of the word Drones, too Queen like still. Very much like the Resistance in theme and sound. A lot better than the awful T2L though, so a step in the right direction, but could be better.

Funny how NME rated Revolt as the best track on the album. What were they smoking?

Edited by joffoir

My immediate reaction, after 5-6 listens is that the album is okay, nothing more, nothing less. Only two songs that are superb- Dead Inside and The Handler- , the most awful flops are thanfully missing, and then a whole lot of mediocre and slightly-above-mediocre songs.

The album, like the the two previous albums is plaqued with the unfortunate, continuous feeling of hearing this song before. Apparently Matt’s favourite AC/DC song is Thunderstruck, because there is not one but two instances of soundalikes of the classic intro– in Reapers and The Handler. However, the immediate sound-influences are worn a bit more discreetly up their sleeves than in T2L.

When it comes to the lyrics, once again they are in the ”whatever” category, but you do feel a slight pang of embarrasement for the theme and the literal adherence to it, including the repeated uses of the word ”drones”.

Some thoughts for each track:

Dead Inside- slick and sexy, sounds like the most modern track (while still evoking Depeche Mode, but not in a too-obvious way). Hopefully crosses over to mainstream radio.

(Drill sergeant – doesn’t really achieve anything but framing the whole theme in a very comical way)

Psycho- fun, if repetive stomper. Among the better tracks of the album.

Mercy – nope. There is a forced attempt of ”huge” in the writing and delivery, when the melody/chorus just isn’t there to distinguish it from better Muse world-huggers.

Reapers- vastly overrated imo. It’s not terrible, but it’s too derivative of AC/DC and other genre staples, finishing with some more RATM. Certainly not among the best Muse songs in a decade, like often suggested here.

The Handler- easily the best song on the album. Dark and atmospheric without being too much of anything.

(JFK- completely unnecessary.)

Defector – Meat and potatoes of Muse songs. Nothing wrong with it really, but it’s just a bit meh- the MK Ultra of the album in that sense. The mandatory obvious Queen element is here in the backing vocals. Still, I can see myself warming up to it with some repeated listens.

Revolt- I can see why this songs is intensely disliked. It probably has the catchiest chorus of all the songs, but in an annoying, bland pop-rock radio band kind of way. Sonically too cheerful to be a Muse songs? The third single of the album? I don’t personally hate it (yet), but I can see this fast becoming a skipper. With the album being front-loaded, the slide begins with this song. The Handler gives you hope for a great ride, to be followed by a bunch of unfocused tracks with degrading quality.

Aftermath- 90’s adult rock with the Chris Isaak-esque guitar intro, ”Sailing” chorus, slight rip of Duran Duran’s Ordinary World in the solo, and the too-perfect, impersonal strings. Overproduced.

The Globalist- truthfully, a bit of a mess. I like the Morricone beginning, but it seems shameless to not give a credit rather than claim a homage. The promising start is then followed by some industrial/prog riffing that doesn’t really go anywhere, and then a generic piano part that doesn’t tie into the other parts in any way. Not worthy of the ”sequel to Citizen Erased ” status.

Drones- I don’t really know what to make of this. It’s certainly different. Atheist goes to Church…?

Edited by sade

Alright, here it is.

DEAD INSIDE

Undisclosed desiresy in a different and better way. Even though the second half of it is a bit U2, I find it quite beautiful. Solid 8/10

PSYCHO

Not my fav to listen to all the time, but great to rock out to, and spactacular live, which I think is the point. Story wise, it works, and he lyrics don't bother me. 7/10

MERCY

I understand the dislike for this, but for me personally it sounds less depressing and is a welcome change in tempo. It's fun to sing along to, and reminds me of starlight, so in other words I like it. 8/10

REAPERS

This one for me doesn't work as much as it seems to for most other fans. It might grow on me, but something about it just isn't the best. 6/10

THE HANDLER

Amazing! This is just awesome, I love Matt's voice in this, and its just so good in so many ways. 10/10

DEFECTOR

Queen Muse at its best. First time listening to it I thought not enough Muse too much Queen, but its actually a huge standout and the instrumental parts towards the end really are awesome. 9/10

REVOLT

Haven't heard this many times yet, but I like it. Definitely it's way more poppy than Muse is usually, but it sounds lovely. 7/10

AFTERMATH

I love it when Muse does a quieter, less bombastic song, and this one is really beautiful. Love it. 10/10

THE GLOBALIST

In one word, GORGEOUS. I never truly expected it to be what everyone thought of it as. Its not Citizen Erased part 2, its just awesome and is definitely my favorite song of the whole album. 10/10

DRONES

Blends perfectly and seamlessly with The Globalist, definitely it can't be fully realized without it. Is definitely different and I think it will grow on me over time. 7/10

Overall, the album is one of the best, still not sure where it stands on that ranking, though. The story through it all makes the album work really well as a cohesive whole, and still is enjoyable to just listen to one or two songs out of the bunch. Amazing job.

Looking at the current poll, I'm inclined to say The Handler might actually be a tad overrated.

I wouldn't say so going by solely the poll, but I agree that it's a bit overrated. It's good but not the best song since Absolution like a fair amount of people have been saying. MOTP, TAB, Assassin, COD, Hoodoo, KOC are all way better. I'd even put US and Reapers above it.

DEAD INSIDE 8/10

Has the Madness effect i.e. slow start, slightly cheesy but has that incredible emotional last third that makes the full listen so worth it.

PSYCHO 6/10

This track has a similar effect to fatigue on me. Just gets draining after a while because it's too repetitive. However, it sounds great loud and this will be killer live. A track more for the live sets as opposed to casual listening. And it is great to have that riff in a proper song now.

MERCY 6/10

Good to hear the Bliss arpeggiated synths again but this certainly is no Bliss. It's just another OK Muse single. Don't think it's great for casual listening and don't think it'll be that great live but it's still a nice listen.

REAPERS 8/10

I'm not overly mental about the chorus, bit glam rock but what truly makes this is the wonderful guitar solo. It's just great! Loving the TOADA style drum rhythm in the verse as well.

THE HANDLER 9/10

There's some crazy hyperbole for this record. I'm hearing things like "Best Muse Song Ever" I'm not sure about that but it is great! I actually wish it was longer and the In Your World riff seems to come out of the blue. I would have preferred to see some more outrageous guitar action in the bridge. This is basically Fury MK2 which is obviously a great thing.

DEFECTOR 9/10

I just bloody the riff in this. At first I was hating the Queen screams which made me hesitant to give this track a chance but this track has subsequently got bigger & better with every listen. Like I say... That riff.

REVOLT 7/10

I think this track is great fun. It's like a Showbiz track with modern Muse production and a little bit of My Chemical Romance thrown in. The hate on this is baffling to me but whatever.

AFTERMATH 10/10

Honestly this is one of my top 5 Muse tracks of all time. I love when I find a track that I can put of repeat. I just love it. Goosebumps every time.

THE GLOBALIST 8/10

Matt seems to struggle with the concept of making a true 10 minute plus Prog Rock anthem. This is basically three different tracks merged to make one... but what a great listen regardless! And I love Nimrod.

DRONES 5/10

I love choral style music but something about this doesn't sit right with me... Just makes the album fizzle out on a whimper. It's a shame because...

Overall it's a fucking great album that could have had a little stronger, more bombastic ending. 8/10

This album is truly epic and gets better with each listen.

I have played it several times including twice in the car really loud.

I still cannot decide on my favourite track but my favourite part is probably the end of Defector which is real genius.

I like all 9 proper tracks on the album which is definitely not the case on the previous 3 albums.