Your reviews of Drones

Jimmyneutron

What is your favourite track on Drones?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite track on Drones?

• Dead Inside
    • Drill Sergeant
    • Psycho
    • Mercy
    • Reapers
    • The Handler
    • JFK
    • Defector
    • Revolt
    • Aftermath
    • The Globalist
    • Drones

Overall it's a great album.The greatest they've ever made. Muse always getting better as they release more albums in my opinion.

Could not disagree more. Good, not great, album and they've gone downhill with every release from OoS until now. Drones is better than The 2nd Law but that could've been improved on with a collection of different pitch fart noises.

Could not disagree more. Good, not great, album and they've gone downhill with every release from OoS until now. Drones is better than The 2nd Law but that could've been improved on with a collection of different pitch fart noises.

I think this release is very strong and balanced.

Muse with their 7th album deliver a concept, which is based on warfare and alienation. It's the muse most consistent album since BHAR. Queen and RATM are influences that can be heard on several tracks and even both at the same time(Defector). After T2L I was worried about Muse's future but now after hearing Drones, I can atleast know that they can do a full lenght album without feeling like I'm listening to a playlist, like on the previous 2 albums. The Globalist was hailed as a Citizen Erased sequel, but after listening I believe that a more fair comparison is to Exogenesis.

1. Reapers
  2. The Handler
  3. Aftermath
  4. JFK/Defector
  5. DS/Psycho
  6. Dead Inside
  7. The Globalist
  8. Mercy=Revolt

Might as well put my proper thoughts now that I've listened to the album a few more times:

Dead Inside: Like most of the board I started off disliking this song, however just like Madness, it started to massively grow on me. 9/10

Psycho: Great live but sadly the studio version doesn't hold as much of the excitement and just sounds like a generic riffy song. 7/10

Mercy: When this was originally released, I absolutely despised it, it sounded so much like Starlight - but then multiple listens (like Dead Inside) really opened the track up and shows potential. 8/10

Reapers: By far my favourite track on the album, there are a few issues with the arrangement and tones that I would change, but this is by far the best one on the album. A great finger tapping intro followed by an incredible chorus (like a heavier version of Panic Station). 10/10

The Handler: Just like an old Muse track, absolutely awesome and heavy. The guitar solo reminds me of Sober, but that could just be because there is a filter on the guitar. 10/10

Defector: If Matt was the offspring of Billy Corgan, Freddy Mercury and Kurt Cobain this is what all of his music would sound like (terrible lyrics aside). 9/10

Revolt: Probably the lowest point of the album: dodgy tempo tempo changes and embarrassing verses. 6/10

Aftermath: Driving down a motorway at night with the street lamps repeating into the horizon. 9/10

The Globalist: Sure, it isn't Citizen Erased 2 but the song is an absolute stunner. 10/10

Drones: Took a few listens to understand what the fuck this is, but concerning the plot of the concept on the album, it fits in pretty well. 7/10

Overall score (average): 8.5/10

I would put this as my 4th favourite album inbetween Showbiz and Black Holes and Revelations.

Dead Inside.

Probably not the best opener of the album but the song definitely appeals to me. The guitar solo is short but fruitful and so much fun to play. Unlike many others I usually skip the last part of the song which I don't find that great. It's often compared to Madness..Well, I like Madness a little bit more.

7/10

Psycho

The riff came as no surprise but that doesn't make it less dynamic and powerful. It grew on me when I heard it live. Lately I've been listening to Psycho a lot. Yet the lyrics is awful. I try to not concentrate on it and just enjoy the riff.

7,5/10

Mercy

Strangely enough, Mercy was my favorite one the first time I heard it. What I like best about Mercy is the bass line. Four power chords by Matt in the chorus are simplistic but powerful.

On the whole, I think that the song is pretty mediocre especially considering what the next two songs are.

6/10

Reapers

I don't care whether the riff is much inspired by AC/DC or whatever. I have goosebumps whenever I hear it. The only issue is that I prefer the live versions to the studio recording which is way too... is artificial the right word here? The live version of Reapers is incredibly cool. I agree that the parts of the song aren't connected in a musically logical way but IMO that helps express the nerve and drive of Reapers.

A great song.

8,5/10

The Handler

Having heard Reapers, I thought: "Well, that must be the best song on the album. What can be better?".

The Handler is the answer! It's better than all the songs on the last two albums. The riff is repetitive and pretty simple (as well as those in Psycho and Defector) but there's something about it that makes you listen to it over and over again as if it's the very first time. The inyourworld-ish bridge comes out of nowhere in my opinion and lasts a bit too long but the superb drums and bass make it really cool. The final part of the song is some sort of reward for us, Muse fans, and demonstrates the very best by Matt, Dom and Chris. The Handler is awe-inspiring.

9,5/10

Defector

At first I coudn't listen to it. It took me a few days to get accustomed to this song after which it grew on me. Now I often find myself singing "Free, now I'm free..".

It's like some sort of relief after the heavy mood created in the Handler. The riff is again repetitive but that's not as noticeable as in Psycho.

When you listen to Defector after the Handler -- it seems better than it is by itself.

8/10

Revolt

Revolt is the absolute outsider among the songs that I would ever show to someone to make them fall in love with Muse.

I would rate it pretty high were it a song by Big Time Rush. But it is not. I will never understand how on earth Fury became a B-side and Revolt made it to the album.

Might be a good one to jump around to. The solo is decent. But that's not enough to make it a decent song.

4/10

Aftermath

An incredibly beautiful beginning, depressive atmosphere. The lyrics is finally not about Drones killing everyone. I associate it with Blackout - another moody song that I adore.

The solo is emotional and I'm totally sure that it will be even better live. The song is amazing. No more words.

9/10

The Globalist

The main problem of the Globalist is that Matt talked too much about it lifting the level of our expectations. I expected the Globalist to be the strongest one on the album which it certainly isn't. The Morricone intro and the piano part are great. The middle part just doesn't fit. Suddenly starts - suddenly ends... I see very weak connection with the other parts of the Globalist.

I would save the riff for another song that could replace Revolt or Drones.

For the fantastically beautiful first part:

8/10

Drones

Frankly speaking, I don't know what to say about Drones. I treat it in the same way as Drill Sergeant, JFK. I hoped for a better final chord for the album.

5/10

Album average ranking: 7,25

Does "some" mean "all" now? :(

It was a valid point directed as it was. It was cute; I laughed.

Funnier than comparing the albums to fart noises, or replacing "r's with "w"s, for sure. :noey:

uh I misread, whoops.

And yes, that's for sure... Although a fart still sounds better than Revolt.

Finally listened to it on Monday (even though the leak was available). All are just my own opinons.

Dead Inside: I like it. Great single track and pretty dark theme. LOVE Matt's vocals in the second half. 7/10

[Drill Sergeant]: I don't think this really needs to be rated, but I have no problems with it. Totally goes well with 'Psycho'. N/A

Psycho: Great intro/riff. Drags a bit, though, and it's very static and repetitive. But a good ol' solid rock song, nonetheless, and really got me psyched for the album. 7/10

Mercy: Nice, classic Muse pop song and can't help but sing along. Not one of my faves, but not one of my least faves either. 6.5/10

Reapers: This is one of my favourites from the album. The way it flows between the sections really does it for me. The solo, though, does seem a little out of place - as if Matt's been forced to shove it in there. Still love it! 9/10

The Handler: Ahhh, The Handler. It's hard to find anything wrong with this song. It's just a monster of a track and really gets to the point of the album's concept. Maybe the instrumental bit goes on a bit too long? I'm not really too fussed by that, mind you. 10/10

[JFK]: Again, I don't really think it needs a rating. I like it - the classic speech works well in the album. N/A

Defector: A nice punchy number. I feel that there's been a massive weight lifted on this song. Although, on the first listen through, I did wonder "what the hell" as it seemed a little all over the place but it has grown on me a lot and totally accept the idea of it. Can't help but hear "you've got a pwoblem" and "you can't contwol me" which I still find hilarious. Okay song so... 6/10

Revolt: The 'Big Freeze' or 'Guiding Light' of the album for me. The lyrics "you've got strength, you've got soul" just give a serious 'The Killers' feel. The chorus music is okay, but the transition between that and the verses seem too poppy. Not very impressed, to be honest. 5/10

Aftermath: Beautiful. One of my faves. I actually cannot get enough of it, the music is class and the lyrics are so uplifting. Best Muse ballad in my books. 9/10

The Globalist: I'm impressed. Although it's pretty much what I expected from a song already shown as 10minutes long. I see three sections, the calm before the storm, then into the storm, followed by a conclusion. Not amazing, but certainly not bad. 7.5/10

Drones: Seriously, what the hell? To me, it's as if:

Matt: "oh crap, we've only done 9 songs...quick what else have we got?"

Mutt: "aww mate, we have some silly three minute thing that you did, Matt, whilst pissing around mate?"

Matt: "yeah that'll do - shove that at the end."

I respect it but I would totally get it if it were a 30second thing at the end of 'The Globalist' but it just seems like a waste of what could've been another actual song. 2/10

I like the album - the themes and the music are class. Just some of it is a bit of a let down. Overall: 7.5/10

*Edited spelling mistakes etc.

Edited by JimmyCake

Yeah that's the only kind of criticism the song got, right.

Does "some" mean "all" now? :(

It was a valid point directed as it was. It was cute; I laughed.

Funnier than comparing the albums to fart noises, or replacing "r's with "w"s, for sure. :noey:

I had to read this exchange several times before I understood it. :chuckle: I thought fabri was agreeing with me initially.

I just find it so funny how some people are still like WHERE IS MY SONG STRUCTURE AND GUITAR at this stage. Like, they can't just keep it to 'I don't like this' or 'it isn't my thing' or 'i don't like this kind of music'. It's WHAT THE HELL I DON'T LIKE CHANGE.

I'm useless at track by track reviews but all I can say is how much I love this album! I was so disappointed with The 2nd Law and Drones just trounces it in style.

Mercy is probably my least favourite song but I would still give it about 6/10 whereas, The Handler, Defector, Dead Inside, Reapers and The Globalist are full on 10/10.

Only Muse could get away with something as completely bonkers as The Globalist.

I can't rank with numbers because so many factors contribute to how much I enjoy a song, so this is all just words.

Dead Inside - Was a bit shocking the first time I listened to it because of the little organ-y bits(?). The second half is what really made me like it, I love Matt's vocals on the last verse and "the greatest guy" lyrics always makes me laugh now since so many people bashed it. It's not my favorite song but still very good, kind of like madness (same structure with the buildup) but better.

Psycho - This is my least favorite on the album mostly because I love the riff but not the song. It drags a bit and I think it would have been better if it was shorter. Also "your ass belongs to me now" is kind of cringe-y. Matt has a lot of cringe-y lyrics but the way that one is emphasized and repeated makes it worse. However, it is much better live than on record.

Mercy - I love when Muse goes pop, and I also loved Starlight so of course I love this one. On first listen, I was disappointed because I thought it was going to be heavy and dark, but that was just my own wishful thinking. After another listen I really loved it, the synths in the chorus and the catchy piano melody are great. Also very fun to sing in the shower/car :p It's a good combo of BHAR/Abso/TR sounds.

Reapers - Absolutely love this song. The bassline in the verses, falsetto in the chorus, the guitar solo, everything about this song is great. Even though I agree the outro is very similar to freedom, I think it was a great way to capture their live energy/sound on a record as best as they could. Also I love Matt's wailing in the outro as well.

The Handler - Best song on the album. I knew it upon first listen that it would be one of my favorites, not only from this record but their whole discography and that hasn't happened since Exogenesis. It's heavy and dark and Matt's voice is incredible. Love everything about it.

Defector - A solid song, has grown on me quite a bit. I'm a big queen fan so I like the vocal bits. Very anthemic, I think it will translate very well live. Guitar parts remind me of Survival.

Revolt - I know everyone hates it but I love it. It's very uplifting and energetic and catchy. Has a Killers vibe and I like the tempo changes.

Aftermath - Still growing on me. Someone pointed out that it sounds like a song written for a wedding which I think is true. The more I listen the more I like it.

The Globalist - I see so many people who are angry because it sounds like Morricone and that the last part was a rearrangement of something else but I think Matt wanted to pay tribute to those people which I see nothing wrong with. The middle section could have been longer and the end is kind of USoE which isn't my favorite but overall it's a nice piece of music. It was very overhyped though, which is why I was initially disappointed. Definitely not the same vibe as CE, which I think is much better than this, but it's not a bad song.

Drones - Loved it. Questionable way to end the album but it leaves you with an uneasy feeling which is what they were aiming for. Shows off Matt's voice beautifully.

Overall, I love the album. Aftermath, Psycho, and The Globalist are where it kind of dips, but it's solid and mostly cohesive. It's better than T2L and TR because I really enjoy the majority of the songs, not just one or two. Plus, Reapers and The Handler are becoming all-time favorites for me. Matt's vocals also sound amazing, even if some of his lyrics are cheesy and cringe-worthy. Its not perfect but they moved in the right direction and made me excited for the future.

Not a review as such, but some thoughts after listening to it a few more times.

The lyrics in Drones are forgettable at best and terrible at worst. By far this is the most consistently bad album lyrically, and surprise surprise, when you market an album on the merits of its lyrics and themes people are going to expect those areas to excel. What we got instead was one demential, cheesy and overly literal. I don't doubt that Matt has a greater understanding of the subject matter, but he's expressed it in such a forgettable way it makes me wonder why they went with the concept in the first place. Did we need another 1984 break up album from them?

Musically, I think it's a solid album and in many ways the most middle-of-the-road Muse have ever been. it doesn't have many of the standout moments that I've come to expect from the band even on their more forgettable albums, but it is consistently enjoyable, and for the most part the songwriting is strong (even if it does slide into indulgence at times, and the phrase less is more should've been applied more frequently in the writing process).

Some tracks are near as good as anything off Absolution, and come as a welcome reminder that this is the same band that I fell in love with in the first place. Unfortunately they seem to lose focus towards the end - should we write an 80's pop song? Should we emulate Hendrix? U2? Even The Globalist reeks of ADD. I really like each part on their own, but when crammed together into a 10 minutes song it doesn't have room to breath or grow.

Drones is in my opinion better than The 2nd Law and more consistent than The Resistance, but lacks the standout moments (Isolated System, Exogenesis Symphony) of either. It's likely to translate well live and even a track like Psycho which I find a bit dull on the studio looks like mad fun in concert.

By the end of the album it might've felt more like nervous shuffle in the right direction than a confident stride, but it's progress all the same.

Dead Inside: 6/10

A grower after the initial bad first impression. The raw emotion almost compensates for the cringeworthiness of the robot noises and backstreet boys influence.

Drill Sargeant/Psycho: 5/10

Fits the concept well, although the Drill Sergeant doesn't come across with any authenticity is just plain bad. Killer riff though, but the song could have been so much better done differently.

Mercy: 3-10

A bad version of starlight, lacks any warmth and musically doesn't fit the concept as well as other tracks.

Reapers: 9.5/10

The best song released since Black Holes and Revelations, amazing sense of urgency in the music fits the concept and shows off the absolute best of muse in a musical sense. This one came as a real surprise given the overall direction in recent years.

The Handler: 9/10

Another excellent track. This is the muse I started listening to years ago, the bridge is excellent and does well to mark the turning point in the album.

JFK/Defector: 8/10

The transition between these two is amazing. Caps off the best sequence of tracks on a muse album I can remember. Defector is really good, although the lyrics are just a little more than clunky at times.

Revolt: 1/10

WTF.

Aftermath: 5/10

I quite like the beginning of this but then it starts to remind me of Aerosmith or something. Doesn't do it for me in the same way a track like blackout does.

The Globalist: 6/10

This could have been awesome. Three really great sections at an individual level that sound like they're thrown together because of bad transitions.

Drones: 6/10

Interesting way to finish the album and somewhat fitting. I quite liked this, despite the oddness of it all.

Overall: 6/10

Drones is great in parts, cringeworthy in others. The run from reapers through to defector is incredible, but the last half of the album is pretty forgettable and the concept loses steam with Revolt in a musical sense. a middle of the road album as a whole, lacks some of the extreme highs and lows we've seen in the past.

Dead Inside: 8/10

Half Madness, half Undisclosed Desires, but surpasses both those songs in my opinion. Lyrics are brilliant, and Matt's vocal performance is out of this world. This song works on so many levels for me. Will probably be a bit of a 'yawn-fest' live though.

Psycho: 8/10

Yes, it's a bit too long, and yes, it's very repetitive, but that riff is a killer. For that reason alone, I doubt I'll ever get tired of this song. Awesome live.

Mercy: 8/10

Starlight-like verses, and a Follow Me-esque chorus. Just enough rock to please someone like me, but also very accessible to the masses. Good singalong.

Reapers: 10/10

If you'd have told me when I first heard the live recordings that this would be my favourite song on the album, I'd have been disappointed. Not any more. Loved it the moment I heard the studio version. Epic. Lyrics are fabulous, and that solo is so good.

The Handler: 8/10

Sounds like some of the early B-sides. Good song with good lyrics, but lacks an X-factor that would propel it to a 9 or 10. Still growing on me though, as I don't think it's instantly memorable, so might still make it to a 9.

Defector: 8/10

When I saw the 'Making of' leak, this sounded very run-of-the-mill and boring. Not sure what's changed my mind. Lyrics are a bit dodgy, but I can't help but like the song. Queen-esque vocals in the chorus get me every time, and the solo is very catchy.

Revolt: 7/10

Probably the weakest song on the album, but not that bad. 'How did we get in so much trouble' must be the most cringeworthy opening line ever in a 'rock' song, but I love the chorus - the change in tempo really works for me. The happy, poppy song that we've come to expect from every Muse album recently, but it's much better than Big Freeze, Guiding Light etc. Can't get it out of my head.

Aftermath: 8/10

Beautiful. Sounds like The Edge is playing the guitar, and it sounds very similar to The Troubles by U2. Proper ballad this, something we haven't heard from Muse before. Not sure about Matt's delivery though, I think the vocals could be delivered in a smoother fashion, to match the dynamic of the song.

The Globalist: 8/10

Citizen Erased 2 it is not. Part 1 is Exogenesis, and Part 3 Explorers. The riff in the middle is killer, but a bit repetitive. It basically does the same thing for two and a half minutes, only made more interesting by the introduction of the drums. Love Part 1 - just about perfect, but Part 3 is a bit too long, almost sounds like a song in its own right. Could have been a 10, with just a bit more tinkering.

Drones: 5/10

Not my thing at all this. Had to look up the lyrics, as I couldn't make out any of them (except 'killed by drones' at the end). Credit to them though for giving it a go, and it does sound quite good, but I doubt it'll make it onto my ipod.

Fabulous album. Only time will tell where it sits compared to previous albums, but it's already far surpassed Showbiz and The 2nd Law in my opinion. Might also overtake The Resistance. What strikes me at this stage is there's no filler. Apart from Drones, I can see myself still listening to all the songs in a year's time. Haven't been able to say that about a Muse album since Black Holes.

Now I've given it time to sink in properly I'll give my in depth opinions:

Dead Inside - 7/10 - As many people have stated, it's basically a better Madness (which I didn't mind all that much) with a splash of Undisclosed Desires and a bit of Radio Gaga for good measure! A really strong song, not the best but catchy enough with a killer solo and a powerful vocal performance at the end. Unnecessary use of the word drones :( Less dark than the title suggests but a little more dark than expected for a pop song.

Psycho - 5/10 - Great riff, good song, some interesting bass movements and Dom's drum fills are on point throughout too. Not a lot to say about this song except is a little too repetitive (not as bad as some people make out imo) and the lyrics are weak (unnecessary use of the word drone #2 :LOL: ) However it's great live and all in all not a bad song.

Mercy - 5/10 - Time for similarities again. Like a weaker starlight with a more boring piano melody. Some good lyrics in places (and the first song not to use the word DRONE!) 'Absent gods and silent tyranny' etc. The 'Queen meets The Darkness' vocals in the chorus save the song for me... the harmonies are banging! Questionable pitch correction in the verses frustrates me though. Again, an okay song but nothing special.

Reapers - 9/10 - The first standout AMAZING track on the album for me. I heard it live in brighton and it was absolutely mind-blowing! Cool tapping licks, some good lyrics again (unneccesary drone usage #3) and quality vocal-delivery throughout. Matt's best solo he's every written by a mile and that super-simple but driving bass riffage in the verses is great! The little synthesized vocals "you can run etc" in the chorus are the icing on fantabulous muse-sundae. A few weird production decisions (the slightly weak-sounding verse and shifting guitar volume) keep this from being a 10/10

The Handler - 10/10 - Now here is one of the best muse songs EVER! The meatiest guitar/bass combo and the really simplistic but powerful drums make this song perfect. The riff has so much power and matt's vocals sound better than ever both in chest voice and falsetto. The bassline in the pre-chorus is one of Chris's finest moments, it is so unexpected but so good! Harmonically it reminds me a little of a heavier space dementia, it has the same dark and eerie vibe. The little vocal effects on the words 'programmed' and 'transformation' are really cool and the vocal melody in general is just so powerful. The delivery is so angry and desperate and it perfectly conveys the feeling of the song.

JFK + Defector - 9.5/10 - This is a very close 2nd place for me. The JFK intro (with the strings hinting at the later guitar solo) had me interested immediately and as soon the queen backing vocals came in I was sold. The melody is one of the strongest by far and again it nails the uplifting emotion it aimed to convey. The lyrics are really good in places (I actually like the blue/green/yellow verse, I think it's really nicely phrased) but the one let down for the song for me is it is a TAD repetitive but it's only a slight issue for me. The solo is banging and the delivery of the words Defector and Pwoblem are spot on :D

Revolt - 8/10 - Now this a great song and I will argue with anyone who dares to disagree! It's catchy as fuck and simplistic, and a slightly awkward tempo change between sections. But for all of these reasons I love it! It's a breathe of fresh air after the several heavier tracks before it and it fits the really uplifting note that defector finishes on. The melody on the chorus is really great even if the pre-chorus is a little TOO cheesy (but I will sing YOU CAN GROW so loud my neighbours worry). Not a lot to say except it's simple and does the job really well! Lyrically sound except unnecessary drone #4.

Aftermath - 7/10 - This song grew on me A LOT. At first I wasn't that sold on it, seemed a bit like a naff boyband tune, but not it just sounds like a good boyband tune! :LOL: Really nice arrangement and guitar playing (very different to Matt's normal playing, kind of Mark Knopfler-y), the verses are among the stronger points of the album on the whole. The choruses are a little dull melodically but the execution and Matt's ad-lib type stuff at the end make up for it, could do without the Mutt vox though...

The Globalist - 7/10 - This also grew on me a fair bit, in particular the Elgar arrangement at the end, with Matt's classic vocal-orchestral blend that he uses. It flows better than a lot of people say in my opinion. Part 2 comes in very suddenly but it instantly gave me that 'end of the world panic' impression like I'm assuming it was supposed to, the world suddenly erupting into chaos as the world ends in a matter of minutes. The intro is a little long in my opinon, it starts to drag a big and perhaps the slide guitar part could have been shortened. The lyrics and vocal are average on the whole, with a couple of particular weak moments (There's no countries left... I think I destroyed them all) and some particularly great (It's human nature, the greatest hunter will survive them all). All in all good but a bit of a let down.

Drones - 8/10 - A great closer to the album, basically one long haunting outro. This isn't really being rated as a standalone song but more of an album closer, as it's intended. As it contains what is, in my opinion, the only necessary use of the word drones on the whole album (the haunting lament would have probably sounded a lot less naff if the word hadn't been shoved down our throats up to this point :LOL: ). But it's a really nicely executed piece and the vocal performance and production is nice, the few splashes of falsetto give it a nice bit of extra Bellamy zing imo!

Well that took a while...

Now I've given it time to sink in properly I'll give my in depth opinions:

Dead Inside - 7/10 - As many people have stated, it's basically a better Madness (which I didn't mind all that much) with a splash of Undisclosed Desires and a bit of Radio Gaga for good measure! A really strong song, not the best but catchy enough with a killer solo and a powerful vocal performance at the end. Unnecessary use of the word drones :( Less dark than the title suggests but a little more dark than expected for a pop song.

Psycho - 5/10 - Great riff, good song, some interesting bass movements and Dom's drum fills are on point throughout too. Not a lot to say about this song except is a little too repetitive (not as bad as some people make out imo) and the lyrics are weak (unnecessary use of the word drone #2 :LOL: ) However it's great live and all in all not a bad song.

Mercy - 5/10 - Time for similarities again. Like a weaker starlight with a more boring piano melody. Some good lyrics in places (and the first song not to use the word DRONE!) 'Absent gods and silent tyranny' etc. The 'Queen meets The Darkness' vocals in the chorus save the song for me... the harmonies are banging! Questionable pitch correction in the verses frustrates me though. Again, an okay song but nothing special.

Reapers - 9/10 - The first standout AMAZING track on the album for me. I heard it live in brighton and it was absolutely mind-blowing! Cool tapping licks, some good lyrics again (unneccesary drone usage #3) and quality vocal-delivery throughout. Matt's best solo he's every written by a mile and that super-simple but driving bass riffage in the verses is great! The little synthesized vocals "you can run etc" in the chorus are the icing on fantabulous muse-sundae. A few weird production decisions (the slightly weak-sounding verse and shifting guitar volume) keep this from being a 10/10

The Handler - 10/10 - Now here is one of the best muse songs EVER! The meatiest guitar/bass combo and the really simplistic but powerful drums make this song perfect. The riff has so much power and matt's vocals sound better than ever both in chest voice and falsetto. The bassline in the pre-chorus is one of Chris's finest moments, it is so unexpected but so good! Harmonically it reminds me a little of a heavier space dementia, it has the same dark and eerie vibe. The little vocal effects on the words 'programmed' and 'transformation' are really cool and the vocal melody in general is just so powerful. The delivery is so angry and desperate and it perfectly conveys the feeling of the song.

JFK + Defector - 9.5/10 - This is a very close 2nd place for me. The JFK intro (with the strings hinting at the later guitar solo) had me interested immediately and as soon the queen backing vocals came in I was sold. The melody is one of the strongest by far and again it nails the uplifting emotion it aimed to convey. The lyrics are really good in places (I actually like the blue/green/yellow verse, I think it's really nicely phrased) but the one let down for the song for me is it is a TAD repetitive but it's only a slight issue for me. The solo is banging and the delivery of the words Defector and Pwoblem are spot on :D

Revolt - 8/10 - Now this a great song and I will argue with anyone who dares to disagree! It's catchy as fuck and simplistic, and a slightly awkward tempo change between sections. But for all of these reasons I love it! It's a breathe of fresh air after the several heavier tracks before it and it fits the really uplifting note that defector finishes on. The melody on the chorus is really great even if the pre-chorus is a little TOO cheesy (but I will sing YOU CAN GROW so loud my neighbours worry). Not a lot to say except it's simple and does the job really well! Lyrically sound except unnecessary drone #4.

Aftermath - 7/10 - This song grew on me A LOT. At first I wasn't that sold on it, seemed a bit like a naff boyband tune, but not it just sounds like a good boyband tune! :LOL: Really nice arrangement and guitar playing (very different to Matt's normal playing, kind of Mark Knopfler-y), the verses are among the stronger points of the album on the whole. The choruses are a little dull melodically but the execution and Matt's ad-lib type stuff at the end make up for it, could do without the Mutt vox though...

The Globalist - 7/10 - This also grew on me a fair bit, in particular the Elgar arrangement at the end, with Matt's classic vocal-orchestral blend that he uses. It flows better than a lot of people say in my opinion. Part 2 comes in very suddenly but it instantly gave me that 'end of the world panic' impression like I'm assuming it was supposed to, the world suddenly erupting into chaos as the world ends in a matter of minutes. The intro is a little long in my opinon, it starts to drag a big and perhaps the slide guitar part could have been shortened. The lyrics and vocal are average on the whole, with a couple of particular weak moments (There's no countries left... I think I destroyed them all) and some particularly great (It's human nature, the greatest hunter will survive them all). All in all good but a bit of a let down.

Drones - 8/10 - A great closer to the album, basically one long haunting outro. This isn't really being rated as a standalone song but more of an album closer, as it's intended. As it contains what is, in my opinion, the only necessary use of the word drones on the whole album (the haunting lament would have probably sounded a lot less naff if the word hadn't been shoved down our throats up to this point :LOL: ). But it's a really nicely executed piece and the vocal performance and production is nice, the few splashes of falsetto give it a nice bit of extra Bellamy zing imo!

Well that took a while...

Even though I wouldn't give such low votes to Psycho and Mercy, I agree that the first third of the album is pratically the weakest.

But from my point of... hearing, it could be just Mercy that let it down considerably. A straight transition from Psycho to Reapers would be a lot better.

Even though I wouldn't give such low votes to Psycho and Mercy, I agree that the first third of the album is pratically the weakest.

But from my point of... hearing, it could be just Mercy that let it down considerably. A straight transition from Psycho to Reapers would be a lot better.

I don't consider them bad songs on the whole, just weaker than the rest.

Out of curiosity what do you think the weakest tracks on the album are?