Do you like The Handler?  

603 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Handler?

• Yes, yes, yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope

So much yes! I've been critical of pretty much everything released so far (and most of the last few albums) but this is excellent. Without meaning to go over the top, it's the sort of song I've been waiting the best part of a decade for and it's a real return to form.

Compare this to drivel like Mercy and it shows two completely different bands, hopefully the future direction goes the way of The Handler.

Yeah, like In Your World and some Absolution. (hints of the band Royal Blood too)

A little In Your World in the fast section, but it's those verses that sound straight out of one of their earlier darker non-album tracks.

I'm fine with the bridge the way it is. I'm sure they'll add onto it live.

I've been waiting for them to find a way to combine the best of their new sound with their old sound, and I'm so glad they've been able to do it with this album.

I hope the fact that they were so enthusiastic about this song means they'd be interested in pursuing this direction in the future.

Edited by funkadelic

So much yes! I've been critical of pretty much everything released so far (and most of the last few albums) but this is excellent. Without meaning to go over the top, it's the sort of song I've been waiting the best part of a decade for and it's a real return to form.

Compare this to drivel like Mercy and it shows two completely different bands, hopefully the future direction goes the way of The Handler.

I feel like we're the same person.

At least the vocals blend with the music and don't stick out like a sore thumb.

This. Only pop songs make the vocals the entire focus of the song. Muse has never gone 100% that direction but there is a reason no one notices the instrumental to crap like Rihanna or Britney Spears. The vocals are 80% of the volume.

No way Muse is going to take away from the awesome music in this song by focusing on the vocals. They're loud enough to make out the lyrics then they're fine.

Best song of the last 6 years by Muse? I think so.

The only thing close imo is Animals and MK Ultra if we're talking rock songs. Those two plus Exo is the only thing Muse has done that has lived up to my hype since 2006.

And The Handler is right there with all of those.

The only thing close imo is Animals and MK Ultra if we're talking rock songs. Those two plus Exo is the only thing Muse has done that has lived up to my hype since 2006.

And The Handler is right there with all of those.

Survival exists.

The last section is sounding a lot like the last part of Dead Inside to me now, which is the worst part of a song I already don't like...

Still good things about it, but overall Reapers is way better for me. Hope they do something to spice up that breakdown live. Anything at all, really.

Madness exists.

We're talking about good tracks here. Solid rock/technical ones that are worth not deleting.

Yeah the delivery is good, it's the only muse song where I have an issue with it's the lyrics, it's a beast live though

I think that's the best summary of Muse's OTT classical/symphonic period in one rock song. Songs that are good snapshots of Muse at a point in time tend to be memorable to me. I still think T2L has some fantastic songs (Survival, Animals, Unsus, Isolated System) but as an album it will never stand up to the rest because of its mixtape syndrome. IMO the four tracks I mentioned were successful explorations of untreaded territory while still retaining the Muse element. The other songs felt foreign or ineffective when compared to the success these had in doing the same IMO.