Do you like The Handler?  

603 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Handler?

• Yes, yes, yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope

We're talking about good tracks here. Solid rock/technical ones that are worth not deleting.

I think that's the best summary of Muse's OTT classical/symphonic period in one rock song. Songs that are good snapshots of Muse at a point in time tend to be memorable to me. I still think T2L has some fantastic songs (Survival, Animals, Unsus, Isolated System) but as an album it will never stand up to the rest because of its mixtape syndrome. IMO the four tracks I mentioned were successful explorations of untreaded territory while still retaining the Muse element. The other songs felt foreign or ineffective when compared to the success these had in doing the same IMO.

A track does not have to be rock to be good.

In my opinion Madness is still the best song since TR. But The Handler is fucking awesome.

You would also probably say the same about Reapers :facepalm:

Nah, not even close.

Survival is in it's own special category with Unnatural Selection.

A track does not have to be rock to be good.

In my opinion Madness is still the best song since TR. But The Handler is fucking awesome.

People are so polarized with Muse songs. Hung up on this "rock" idea.

Ranking of the releases so far... in my opinion

The Handler

Reapers (loses points due to a sprinkle of cheese in the lyrics)

Psycho (loses points because of the stupid drill sergeant that could have been replaced by more instrumentation)

*space intentionally left blank because the above are in another league*

Dead Inside (aka Undisclosed Desires' distant cousin twice removed)

Mercy (a genetic hybrid of Starlight, Take a Bow and Guiding Light)

Nah, not even close.

Survival is in it's own special category with Unnatural Selection.

People are so polarized with Muse songs. Hung up on this "rock" idea.

Lmao don't even go there :fear: US is trash, Survival is definitely not

Muse do rock best, Madness lacked that characteristic Muse-yness in a lot of ways. That's not to say I don't appreciate/enjoy/love their pop, it's just that a song like Madness isn't going to give Muse any permanence in the history of rock'n'roll beyond pushing them closer towards being a 'sell-out band' in the eyes of the masses (that's me speaking for others, not myself). It's not memorable (<-- this bit is my opinion).

I'm sure most people can agree that Muse's very best songs are mostly "rock". But Muse can make amazing music without being "Musey" all the time, like Madness imo.

Madness isn't bad, but I wouldn't be sad if it never existed is what I'm saying. I would be if Survival or the other 3 tracks I mentioned didn't, however.

Just listened to the song... like three times. Wow, this I really good. First half of first listening, I wasn't quite pulled in, but then the tempo switches up a bit, and then upon relistening, I'm hooked. I think I still like Reapers better, just because you can just rock out to it so much more viciously, but this is also very good in a different way. Love the slow, brooding heaviness.

Something tells me this will be a rarity after the Drones tour. It's like it's too good to be shared widespread.

Lmao don't even go there :fear: US is trash, Survival is definitely not

Muse do rock best, Madness lacked that characteristic Muse-yness in a lot of ways. That's not to say I don't appreciate/enjoy/love their pop, it's just that a song like Madness isn't going to give Muse any permanence in the history of rock'n'roll beyond pushing them closer towards being a 'sell-out band' in the eyes of the masses (that's me speaking for others, not myself). It's not memorable (<-- this bit is my opinion).

Survival could have been decent if they hadn't made the decision to go with the chorus vocals, which just made it feel like a circus, to me.

Lyrics were also a bit too much, but honestly so are the ones in US.

I thought it was a perfect example of how a "heavy" Muse song isn't always a great one (and an example of people maybe being too forgiving of a song because it IS heavy...)

I'm sure most people can agree that Muse's very best songs are mostly "rock". But Muse can make amazing music without being "Musey" all the time, like Madness imo.

And I don't agree with that, at all.

Especially lately, their "pop" stuff has been top notch. Some of the most enjoyable tracks on the last two (three, counting Drones) albums.

Even some of the "old" greats like Bliss aren't as "rock" as people seem to want to believe.

An album with all songs having the seriousness, tone, and overall quality (subjective but whatever) of The Handler would be the best Muse album ever imo. Why can't they write 10 of these per album?

They did, it's called Absolution.

An album with all songs having the seriousness, tone, and overall quality (subjective but whatever) of The Handler would be the best Muse album ever imo. Why can't they write 10 of these per album?

I think it would be samey, honestly. I enjoy the different tones/emotional impact Muse puts through in their songs.