Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

yes, I realize there's supposed to be a concept in there somewhere. I'm a huge fan of prog, some of my favorite albums are concept albums. But with muse doing it... it's just fail. SO MUCH fail.

That's a shame! I'm really digging this album, although I didn't like the second half at first. Now I think it's solid (even Revolt :LOL::LOL:). When I first heard T2L, I liked it, but each time I listened to it, I disliked it more. With Drones, each time I listen to it, I like it more. But, hey, if you don't like it there's a lot of great bands out there which are releasing amazing records too :LOL:

I love the final third, even though it's an Elgar rip-off (or arrangement, if you will). (That's why I don't get the complaints of the final third being "bland" - it's based on a classical masterpiece ferchrissake! That melody is so distinctive and beautiful, but people are allergic to anything that sounds even remotely like Explorers, I guess).

Some great vocal work by Matt in those final three minutes, and amazing bass by Chris, as always. (it reinforces me in my belief that Chris is equally indispensable to Muse's sound as Matt. Sorry, Dom).

I can understand why people would hate the transition from the heavy part to the piano ballad; it does sound awkward at first listen. But the more I listen to it, the more I like it. I'm beginning to really dig that sustaining guitar note - it's sort of like a "fade to white" where the world draws its final breath. The guitar solo before it is great, it sounds frantic, desperate and yes, way too short - like it wants to be heard before everything dies.

I dunno, I'm really on board with the concept of this song, and even though it has legitimate problems in its execution (having to rip off both Morricone and Elgar is indeed unfortunate), I'm really enjoying it. Not nearly as good as Exogenesis, but much better than the closing tracks of The 2nd Law.

Some great vocal work by Matt in those final three minutes, and amazing bass by Chris, as always. (it reinforces me in my belief that Chris is equally indispensable to Muse's sound as Matt. Sorry, Dom).

I can understand why people would hate the transition from the heavy part to the piano ballad; it does sound awkward at first listen. But the more I listen to it, the more I like it. I'm beginning to really dig that sustaining guitar note - it's sort of like a "fade to white" where the world draws its final breath. The guitar solo before it is great, it sounds frantic, desperate and yes, way too short - like it wants to be heard before everything dies.

That is exactly what it is, and I love it.

I love the final third, even though it's an Elgar rip-off (or arrangement, if you will). (That's why I don't get the complaints of the final third being "bland" - it's based on a classical masterpiece ferchrissake! That melody is so distinctive and beautiful, but people are allergic to anything that sounds even remotely like Explorers, I guess).

I agree! I keep mentioning Nimrod and no one else seems to notice until now. Loads of USoE comparison but it's a blatant arrangement / homage to Elgar. But Matt has done a beautiful melodic arrangement of it. Just like when you hear snippets of Rachmaninov in OoS but multiplied by 10. He follows the chords and melody but alters it enough to create something new and amazing. The final third of Globalist is great. And the tremolo riff does sound out of time to me when it comes in.

Loving this more every listen.

And blatant homage? It *is* Nimrod and credited as such - probably the first time Elgar has been listed as the co-writer of a rock song! :D

And when you thinkof the ways that music often gets used on TV programmes and so-on - the "This is Our England" vibe it's normally used fir, I think it fits beautifully into the song, especially with the lyrics over it.

Edited by Citizen Crazed

If someone could edit that middle part for me...

- Take the countdown off the 1st part and put it on the 2nd part (before the amazing bit)

- Triple the length of the amazing bit

- Make the transition between the amazing bit and the final section suck less

That would be allright with me and you could have my babies anytime. Thanks!

So Matt wanted to see if he could write a song as good as Citizen Erased again. The fact that he had the borrow huge chunks from other composers alone proved that he failed in his quest. It's such an artificial unnatural sounding Frankenstein monster of a song, some decent ideas hastily stapled together.

If this thing becomes a regular one at concerts it may just end up being the entire encore. I hope it doesn't replace KoC though, but they definitely should drop the MWaH bit to not have Morricone overkill.

End of thoughts.

I'll tell you what would have improved this song x6,298,017 times - if they had replaced the whistling with pretty much any instrument. Trumpets would have been AMAZING.

Horn section in a slower piece like the intro would be lovely.