Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

a bit of rather unfortunate news to report: unexpectedly, i've had the last 1/3rd of the globalist playing on repeat in my head today.

first world problems.

It's really growing on me. I'll forever be annoyed at the short riff section, poorly used Instagram riff and overly long piano ending, but the more I listen to it the more I'm starting to really love it. That intro section... Such old school Musey vibes <3

I love this whole song, even the cheesy, crap ending. :happy:

Me too. I don't think it's crap. Or even that cheesy really..

I don't either. I was just repeating what someone else said. It's no CE, or even a "prog nightmare" really, but still a quality song.

I don't either. I was just repeating what someone else said. It's no CE, or even a "prog nightmare" really, but still a quality song.

Yeah, although it does work as a literal "nightmare" from the protagonist's point of view.

Yeah this is the track which has grown on me the most. The weird structure bothers me less and less the more I get used to it, I suppose.

It's slowly becoming my favourite from Drones. It just feels so apocalyptic while being very emotional, and emotional is good if you ask me. Loving the transition from first to second part and the piano ending! In my opinion lyrics are quite good too

I wish they kept the standard of lyrics on the album as a whole on the level of The Globalist. The first "movement's" lyrics are absolutely stunning in my opinion, like Satan compiling an offer to this hopeless protagonist.

I wish they kept the standard of lyrics on the album as a whole on the level of The Globalist. The first "movement's" lyrics are absolutely stunning in my opinion, like Satan compiling an offer to this hopeless protagonist.

:yesey: Lyrics are on point in this one. As somebody else mentioned earlier, the piano part is based on Elgar's Nimrod...Nimrod is a mythological figure known as a great hunter, and Bellamy sings about how "it's human nature. The greatest hunter will rule them all." There are a few other hidden references in here as well that have made the song grow on me. I'd change my "somewhat" poll response to a "yes" now if I could. I wish there were more subtle moments in the other songs on this album.

:yesey: Lyrics are on point in this one. As somebody else mentioned earlier, the piano part is based on Elgar's Nimrod...Nimrod is a mythological figure known as a great hunter, and Bellamy sings about how "it's human nature. The greatest hunter will rule them all." There are a few other hidden references in here as well that have made the song grow on me. I'd change my "somewhat" poll response to a "yes" now if I could. I wish there were more subtle moments in the other songs on this album.

Fair enough, but they still should've just referenced the piece spiritually, or included a few seconds of it only.

Fair enough, but they still should've just referenced the piece spiritually, or included a few seconds of it only.

What do you mean by that?

What do you mean by that?

Written a piece in the same style, using the same sort of harmonies, melodies etc without actually being... y'know, the same.

Written a piece in the same style, using the same sort of harmonies, melodies etc without actually being... y'know, the same.

Ah got it. That makes sense now, but now I disagree that it would make it better because the connection to the lyrics makes too much sense. It would be a bit harder to pick up if it was only inspired or a smaller excerpt because a lot of classical pieces are difficult to discriminate from each other and they wouldn't have to cite it in the album credits necessarily. We'll probably agree to disagree on this one.

Well, Muse have done it fine before. Look at the number of clear but not in-your-face Rachmaninoff quotations in their early work - so I don't quite buy that it would be too obscure if they didn't just flat out copy the entire piece.

Hmm...I've heard some things that sound inspired by Rachmaninov, but I wasn't aware of even smaller borrowed excerpts. I'm a bit curious about this now; what's the most prominent example? is IBTY one of them?

AnywaysI would doubt any of those Rach themes were borrowed to support specific images expressed by the lyrics because Rachmaninov doesn't really have imagery associated with his works. In the case of the Globalist, the reference to the "great hunter" piece is part of the imagery of the song. Diluting the piece would dilute the image for me. I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion, but I think this instance is unique in that the image associated with a classical piece matches imagery within the lyrics of the song. I'd be very interested if anyone here has discovered something else like that in Muse's catalogue.

Hmm...I've heard some things that sound inspired by Rachmaninov, but I wasn't aware of even smaller borrowed excerpts. I'm a bit curious about this now; what's the most prominent example? is IBTY one of them?

The bridge in Assassin (DMG and GOB). Btw, IBTY isn't one of them, or as far as I'm aware

Vocals and the chords at 1:30 in Space Dementia are pretty much the Second Piano Concerto 1st Movement

The bridge in Assassin (DMG and GOB). Btw, IBTY isn't one of them, or as far as I'm aware

UNited states of Eurasia?

UNited states of Eurasia?

Collateral Damage at the end? That's Nocture in E Flat Major Op 9 no 2 by Chopin