Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

After really listening to what's going on during that riff, from a conceptual point of view it's the perfect length. It's just the perfect musical representation of what modern Global War would be like.

Riff kicks in on guitar, which is the protagonist starting the conflict. The bass following the riff later represents a different world power reacting to the conflict. At first it's just unmanned drone strikes portrayed by the jetsounds, which develops into 'boots on the ground' (you can hear feet stomping before the Dom's bassdrum joins in) and troops chanting 'hey!' on the beat followed ultimately by the countdown to the first nuke being launched by which the conflict spirals out of control and swiftly destroys all society, which is why the riff at the end is so short.

The amazing thing is that there weren't any lyrics needed to portray this, which to me is just excellent songwriting. While sticking CE after it sounds awesome, it destroys what the song is trying to represent.

:LOL:

Sorry I just had a huge laugh when listening to your crossover video...

Without being mean, this is exactly why some of you people disappointed by The Globalist should just sit down, listen to the master, and practice.

You clearly don't have the skills man...

The Globalist is probably Muse's best song yet, and a lot people are complaining because it doesn't sound like Citizen Erased, or because of the piano part. Come on, Matt is much more intelligent than this. It would have been so boring had he given in to your fanboy desires and brought back the CE riff for 30 seconds or so. It would have been so predictable if the second part continued the last riff. Instead we have a beautiful piano part. Fucking amazing.

The easy way out would have been to do what you're trying to do, mix both riffs (with a lot more skills obviously... :LOL:), but what they wrote is exactly what needed to be done.

It will eventually grow on you all and you'll understand why it's the best piece of the album (Handler is close though, amazing as well).

Muse fans who think they know better than Matt... hilarious... :LOL:

Wow, how cynical you are.

I'll never get that image of Matt giggling and dropping things out of my head when I listen to it.

I so wish I hadn't watched that first.

I had that exact thought listening to it the first few times haha.

God damn it frustrates me beyond belief when the riffage cuts out only for the ballad to begin... such an anticlimax after that heavy middle section; one of my favourite parts of the album. Was hoping for that tremolo riff to either continue for a bit or evolve even further. I was looking forward to that one, I absolutely love it.

That being said it's a solid song, especially those first 2 sections

After really listening to what's going on during that riff, from a conceptual point of view it's the perfect length. It's just the perfect musical representation of what modern Global War would be like.

Riff kicks in on guitar, which is the protagonist starting the conflict. The bass following the riff later represents a different world power reacting to the conflict. At first it's just unmanned drone strikes portrayed by the jetsounds, which develops into 'boots on the ground' (you can hear feet stomping before the Dom's bassdrum joins in) and troops chanting 'hey!' on the beat followed ultimately by the countdown to the first nuke being launched by which the conflict spirals out of control and swiftly destroys all society, which is why the riff at the end is so short.

The amazing thing is that there weren't any lyrics needed to portray this, which to me is just excellent songwriting. While sticking CE after it sounds awesome, it destroys what the song is trying to represent.

Exactly. Seen a lot of "oh that's just defending poor musical writing" comments when it's not. That's what prog rock is built off of: telling a story through music, sometimes lyrically, sometimes not. That's Dream Theater's entire goal...or listen to 2112...or Porcupine Tree's The Incident.

It's really a brilliant song, and personally, if your complaint is that the riff ends too quickly I have a simple answer for you--you don't know prog.

Right after the lyrics ¨Now you have finally have the code, I have given you the code¨ you can hear what sounds like reversed and sped up voices. Threw it into Audition, slowed it down to 250% and reverse it. Attached the file below.

I'm pretty sure the voices are bits of lyrics from the others songs on the album.

¨Dead Inside..¨

¨A fucking psycho!¨

¨The world just disavows¨

(Backing track possibly from Reapers/The Handler)

¨Now I'm a defector¨

(Something possibly from Revolt/Aftermath)

The Globalist tells the same story as the rest of the album but with a bad ending, so it makes sense that right before the bad ending there are these flashbacks. If anyone can figure out what the others are or correct me that'd be cool.

Doesn't work :supersad:

It has cool moments. It's just that the cheesy moments really sound like Soaked, which everyone hated. Now it's part of a 10min epic track suddenly everyone digs that vibe?

I like the track (8/10), just a bit surprised to see everyone so amazed by it :p

can someone tell me WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK is going on in this song?

First part describes the rise of a dictator, the guitar riff describes destruction and war, and third part the dictator's regret. I think it works wonderfully once you grasp the concept :LOL::LOL:

First part describes the rise of a dictator, the guitar riff describes destruction and war, and third part the dictator's regret. I think it works wonderfully once you grasp the concept :LOL::LOL:

yes, I realize there's supposed to be a concept in there somewhere. I'm a huge fan of prog, some of my favorite albums are concept albums. But with muse doing it... it's just fail. SO MUCH fail.