Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

Anyone knows why Matt uses a Strat for this live? When I was at the Toronto show and the heavy guitar section came in I distinctly remember thinking it sounded thin and the tone was bad - it was only watching vids later I realized it wasn't the Manson 7 :(

Any thoughts?

The strat probably sounds better for the slide parts. I thought the heavy section sounded huge both times I saw it, even with the single coil pickups.

The strat probably sounds better for the slide parts. I thought the heavy section sounded huge both times I saw it, even with the single coil pickups.

Yea I figured it was for the slide section, but I don't know when he couldn't have the Manson 7 strapped on and swing it around before the heavy section. They could extend that transition (the backards playing bit) if they needed to jst like they do before the piano outro.

I've just never been a fan of the Strat tone (Hendrix, Gilmour and Mayer are the only exceptions) because they just sound so thin and twangy. Definitely need more beef than a Strat can give for that section of Globalist imo.

Yea I figured it was for the slide section, but I don't know when he couldn't have the Manson 7 strapped on and swing it around before the heavy section. They could extend that transition (the backards playing bit) if they needed to jst like they do before the piano outro.
Are you saying he should carry both guitars for all that time? Matt whose back can barely handle an entite gig anymore and makes sure that his guitars become lighter and lighter for every tour?

Was that back thing ever confirmed...? I just assumed he planned for their being no way in hell he was going to get in shape for the tour. :chuckle:

He's also look like a right twat with two guitars at that point. That's also two more guitars than Matt seems to want to carry around right now...

I'll stop.

Going off a comment in the other thread that The Globalist showed Matt's political leanings... Other than the title, I seriously cannot see much specific political discourse in the song OTHER than the title.

Unless we're thinking something like "don't put all the power into the hands of one guy, because his girlfriend might dump him, and then he's got the nuclear option."

Unless that IS the argument for small government: our society is such that every one out there is just one bad day away from a massive emotional meltdown, or descent into pure sociopathy.

But, I think that's an issue equally at the small and large scale.

I mean, I guess, except in the event nuclear war destroying the planet caused by one person is a possibility.

I think the way his new guitars are made rather confirms that his back is really in a bad shape.

Regarding the choice of guitars: A strat by no means has to sound thin! However, we have very little info about the pickups etc, since it seems to be a Fender custom guitar. Might have a few single coil sized motherbuckers in it.

Edited by Matthijs

Are you saying he should carry both guitars for all that time? Matt whose back can barely handle an entite gig anymore and makes sure that his guitars become lighter and lighter for every tour?

Hmm forgot about the back issue.

Regarding the choice of guitars: A strat by no means has to sound thin! However, we have very little info about the pickups etc, since it seems to be a Fender custom guitar. Might have a few single coil sized motherbuckers in it.

Fair enough. It's my personal preference - I just do not like the sound of 98% of Strats I've heard. I'd rather Matt play the slide on the Manson 7 even if it didn't sound quite as good just so the heavy section could sound even more beefy.

Was that back thing ever confirmed...? I just assumed he planned for their being no way in hell he was going to get in shape for the tour. :chuckle:

He's also look like a right twat with two guitars at that point. That's also two more guitars than Matt seems to want to carry around right now...

I'll stop.

Going off a comment in the other thread that The Globalist showed Matt's political leanings... Other than the title, I seriously cannot see much specific political discourse in the song OTHER than the title.

Unless we're thinking something like "don't put all the power into the hands of one guy, because his girlfriend might dump him, and then he's got the nuclear option."

Unless that IS the argument for small government: our society is such that every one out there is just one bad day away from a massive emotional meltdown, or descent into pure sociopathy.

But, I think that's an issue equally at the small and large scale.

I mean, I guess, except in the event nuclear war destroying the planet caused by one person is a possibility.

I've seen The Killers' guitarist have 2 guitars on for the song Runaways - first minute on an acoustic, then changing to a full electric for the main body of the tune. But it doesn't need the change like Chris does - the riff actually sounds decent and heavy on the Strat. It sounded great both in person in London, and on TV at Glastonbury.

Oddly, I have read The Globalist's first part as the campaign for Brexit, or rather the version sold - people hiding motives to dismantle and destroy convincing we were never truly loved by the EU, and could be better without. Now we just gotta hope they don't get the nukes and are left to lament there being no countries left. Either that or I'm reading too much into it. But then who doesn't love a pretentious over-reading into lyrics to fit your own agenda? :chuckle::chuckle:

• 2 years later...
I cannot believe that ever was a thing.

But watching Matt strum that dead guitar like a jackass was priceless.

You mean that anyone ever liked this song? You can be sure it won't be played on the 'Simulation Theory' tour as they won't do older songs of that length that aren't promoting the new LP. Besides which they are so over the drones concept and on to the Outrun thing.

You can be sure it won't be played on the 'Simulation Theory' tour as they won't do older songs of that length that aren't promoting the new LP.

I'll allow it. Seeing this live last summer really drew attention to its length plus it just wasn't very exciting, imo. Long songs aren't inherently bad but it certainly felt like it brought the show to a standstill. My opinion goes as follows: 1st and 2nd sections should have been the whole song; 2nd section should have been longer or been a little more developed; 3rd section is a bit meandering and overly familiar. It's fine.

• 2 weeks later...