Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

:LOL:

Sorry I just had a huge laugh when listening to your crossover video...

Without being mean, this is exactly why some of you people disappointed by The Globalist should just sit down, listen to the master, and practice.

You clearly don't have the skills man...

The Globalist is probably Muse's best song yet, and a lot people are complaining because it doesn't sound like Citizen Erased, or because of the piano part. Come on, Matt is much more intelligent than this. It would have been so boring had he given in to your fanboy desires and brought back the CE riff for 30 seconds or so. It would have been so predictable if the second part continued the last riff. Instead we have a beautiful piano part. Fucking amazing.

The easy way out would have been to do what you're trying to do, mix both riffs (with a lot more skills obviously... :LOL:), but what they wrote is exactly what needed to be done.

It will eventually grow on you all and you'll understand why it's the best piece of the album (Handler is close though, amazing as well).

Muse fans who think they know better than Matt... hilarious... :LOL:

To me it is two seperate tracks which would also give the band flexibility live.

The first track would have been the intro/radiohead-esque section building into the huge riff and then re-visit the start for an outro.

The second part would be the piano and possibly even including Drones. In its current form to me the track is 4 minutes too long and no cohesion at all.

CE works because the riff is in two places and the outro relatively short and in context with the softer second verse/chorus. I don't expect a repeat, but to me the globalist is weakened by the long piano ballad that doesn't match the rest of the track

Without being mean, this is exactly why some of you people disappointed by The Globalist should just sit down, listen to the master, and practice.

The Globalist is probably Muse's best song yet, and a lot people are complaining because it doesn't sound like Citizen Erased, or because of the piano part. Come on, Matt is much more intelligent than this. It would have been so boring had he given in to your fanboy desires and brought back the CE riff for 30 seconds or so. It would have been so predictable if the second part continued the last riff. Instead we have a beautiful piano part. Fucking amazing.

The easy way out would have been to do what you're trying to do, mix both riffs (with a lot more skills obviously... :LOL:), but what they wrote is exactly what needed to be done.

It will eventually grow on you all and you'll understand why it's the best piece of the album (Handler is close though, amazing as well).

JJ, is this you?

Jesus :LOL:

To me it is two seperate tracks which would also give the band flexibility live.

The first track would have been the intro/radiohead-esque section building into the huge riff and then re-visit the start for an outro.

The second part would be the piano and possibly even including Drones. In its current form to me the track is 4 minutes too long and no cohesion at all.

CE works because the riff is in two places and the outro relatively short and in context with the softer second verse/chorus. I don't expect a repeat, but to me the globalist is weakened by the long piano ballad that doesn't match the rest of the track

From a musical standpoint there is nothing about the song that is not cohesive: it's progressive rock. Prog rock tracks move around a lot, often between genres.

Compositionally, the transition from the heavy part to the ballad is cohesive. The section ends on a change from A minor (which is the key of the section) to an A major, transitioning to the ballad in D major. Technically, this is a well-written key change since the A major to D major (or V to I) change is commonly used in classical music.

That being said, from a stylistic and production standpoint, how cohesive The Globalist is is completely subjective. Personally, I think how the riff section's transition into the finale is a bit jarring since it's so brief.

Compositionally, the transition from the heavy part to the ballad is cohesive. The section ends on a change from A minor (which is the key of the section) to an A major, transitioning to the ballad in D major. Technically, this is a well-written key change since the A major to D major (or V to I) change is commonly used in classical music.

That being said, from a stylistic and production standpoint, how cohesive The Globalist is completely subjective. Personally, I think how the riff section's transition into the finale is a bit jarring since it's so brief.

:yesey:

I agree it is abrupt because the riff seemed as though it was actually going to develop further, but as you said, the track as a whole is cohesive.

That being said, from a stylistic and production standpoint, how cohesive The Globalist is is completely subjective. Personally, I think how the riff section's transition into the finale is a bit jarring since it's so brief.

It's more the mashup at the end of the heavy section, it makes it sound completely abrupt and disconnected. And yes, the fact that it's so short.

It's more the mashup at the end of the heavy section, it makes it sound completely abrupt and disconnected. And yes, the fact that it's so short.

I think had they fleshed out the riff section a bit more, allowing us to get the chance to discern the layers of instrumentation better, the transition would have been better. It's like, when the tremolo riff kicks in, we also get layers of power chords, strings, etc. and we only have so much time to process this wall of sound before it becomes a new section entirely.

I think had they fleshed out the riff section a bit more, allowing us to get the chance to discern the layers of instrumentation better, the transition would have been better. It's like, when the tremolo riff kicks in, we also get layers of power chords, strings, etc. and we only have so much time to process this wall of sound before it becomes a new section entirely.

Yeah, pretty much. It just doesn't feel like a smooth transition, it genuinely feels like two completely different thing glued together.

That's true. I felt with CE there were proper transitions into each phase of the song. Here it is abrupt. And I keep imagining what Matt changing instruments would look like during the song :LOL:

Makes you appreciate how well the piano section of CE is introduced, tbh.

After several listens I am starting to form my opinion on this track...

The biggest disappointment for me is by far The Globalist. Not sure what Matt was thinking...

He was quoted as calling it a "ten minute long prog rock nightmare" and saying how it was the "sequel" to citizen. All absolute rubbish!

The song is a disjointed mess that doesn't really flow properly at all...the opening buildup is tolerable as you know the heavy shredding is coming, and it goes for a pathetic 2 minutes!

2 minutes?! That's it? No vocals during thr guitar part of the song? It's a 10 minute track with about 2 minutes of rock? That's so dissapointing.

Then it meanders uninterestingly into some cheesy drawn out piano bit for almost 4 minutes that sounds like something ripped off from the close of a musical.

What a waste of a ten minute song. It's all buildup and outro with no real proper middle.

Too much hype and rubbish spoken by Matt has overhyped this song for me and I knew it was going to dissapoint me, but not this much!

I thought Itd be:

1 minute of whistling, 2 minutes of the slide guitar and vocals and then hit the rock til about the 8 minute mark for the piano outro. After all, citizens piano outro is fairly short compared to this uninteresting cheese on the globalist.

4/10. It's a sequel to United States of Eurasia and City of Delusion more than anything else. Except nowhere near as good as either! Had so much potential, but Matt has butchered it by going too far with his film score obsession.

After several listens I am starting to form my opinion on this track...

The biggest disappointment for me is by far The Globalist. Not sure what Matt was thinking...

He was quoted as calling it a "ten minute long prog rock nightmare" and saying how it was the "sequel" to citizen. All absolute rubbish!

The song is a disjointed mess that doesn't really flow properly at all...the opening buildup is tolerable as you know the heavy shredding is coming, and it goes for a pathetic 2 minutes!

2 minutes?! That's it? No vocals during thr guitar part of the song? It's a 10 minute track with about 2 minutes of rock? That's so dissapointing.

Then it meanders uninterestingly into some cheesy drawn out piano bit for almost 4 minutes that sounds like something ripped off from the close of a musical.

What a waste of a ten minute song. It's all buildup and outro with no real proper middle.

Too much hype and rubbish spoken by Matt has overhyped this song for me and I knew it was going to dissapoint me, but not this much!

I thought Itd be:

1 minute of whistling, 2 minutes of the slide guitar and vocals and then hit the rock til about the 8 minute mark for the piano outro. After all, citizens piano outro is fairly short compared to this uninteresting cheese on the globalist.

4/10. It's a sequel to United States of Eurasia and City of Delusion more than anything else. Except nowhere near as good as either! Had so much potential, but Matt has butchered it by going too far with his film score obsession.

Lyrically it actually works a sequel to Citizen Erased... The theme of being controlled and losing freedom is common in both songs. As is the theme of wanting truth and love through a life of lies and destruction. Both songs also use the same core chord structure. I don't know what you were really expecting in terms of it being a sequel but it was never going to be exactly the same musically, just deal with the same themes.

After listening to this in decent quality a few times I've warmed up to it a lot, and u actually really like the ending now. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it would still have been far better had they not short changed the middle section.