The new elephant in the room: Muse need to stop trying to be Queen

ChrisirhC

Yes, in my opinion. I said nothing otherwise. I quite liked Survival, more than USoE.
I just assumed that you were trying to defend Muse's use of Queen influences...

Personally I don´t want another OoS. (See Unnatural Selection: a good song, but standard OoS sound. Nothing new for Muse.)

Most people here don't. Not liking what Muse are currently doing doesn't mean we want them to do what they used to do.

I agree with that - it does sound like they're trying a bit too hard to mimic them. I still like all the Queen-sounding songs they've done, though, but it'd be better if they could put a Musier spin on it than sounding like a copycat act.

I've got nothing against them taking influence from other music/bands - that's what practically every artist does - as long as they can bring something a bit fresh to that sound and unique to them as band. I think they achieved that with the dubstep influence in Unsustainable :happy:

And that's what They've been doing since the beginning (Radiohead, RATM, Rachmaninov...), but yeah, I agree the Queen influences are a bit too obvious.

I don't understand you at all :LOL:

:$

There is nothing wrong with some Queen influence in Muse songs.

Better? :p

I just assumed that you were trying to defend Muse's use of Queen influences...

Oh I see. that´s your point... sorry Simon.

I just don´t think every choir and vocal harmony in a Muse song is a Queen tribute.(That was my point in my first post.) But I could be wrong...

could be wrong,

could be wrong.

But this was a blatant Queen tribute.:ninja:

I wish Muse 2.0 (i.e. post-Absolution) weren't so heavily influenced by two of my least favourite bands ever - Queen and U2 :(.

EDIT: for typo.

+1 :(

If OOS Muse was about trying to break musical clichés to create something unique and challenging, then the last few Muse albums have been about trying to compile a variety of safe musical clichés instead. And that makes me a little sad. Even more so when it's Queen and U2 sounds that are being compiled. It's not simply that I want another OOS, I just want something that goes back to that challenging, cliché defying aesthetic.

If OOS Muse was about trying to break musical clichés to create something unique and challenging, then the last few Muse albums have been about trying to compile a variety of safe musical clichés instead. And that makes me a little sad. Even more so when it's Queen and U2 sounds that are being compiled. It's not simply that I want another OOS, I just want something that goes back to that challenging, cliché defying aesthetic.

+1

Tastes are purely individual, but i wonder why Queen and U2 are a bigger part of their influences these days. If i wanted to listen to Queen and U2 id go out and buy their albums, but i dont anymore as their stuff sounds all the same. Come back Radiohead all is forgiven!

Theres no problem in taking influence from other bands, every band has ultimately plagarised other bands? So okay Queen are a bigger part of their modern day influences, but what happened to RATM, Nirvana, FF, Tom Waits..

Queen were and are synonomous with Stadium rock, Muse love stadium rock now more than performing other venues, and that is where i think their vision for becoming like queen is at. Okay so we dont know how their new tour will go, but surely they would want to create a new sound that is equally awesome in small venues/Arenas/peoples iPods+phones/Stadiums/Radio stations/H-Fi's. A bloody shame i didnt go to the HAARP show at wembley as that was a killer show.

I never really thought about it like that before. Although I wouldn't call their new music safe, but I can understand the angle of OoS and even Absolution being more innovative and the latter albums being more like musical collages.

Although some songs like Undisclosed Desires are a bit different. I don't think many rock bands have tried looping string samples over slap bass in the style of a pop song.

Muse and Queen are the only two bands at the moment whose music is capable of making me look like:eek::eek::eek: so if Matt draws influence from Queen, I'm 100% alright with that. I love both USoE and Survival, i think they're both awesome songs.

And I don't agree that Muse are bad at 'bombastic' rock. IMO that's the thing they excel at.(Apocalypse Please, Take a Bow, Hoodoo etc)

Muse have done Queen better than most bands who have tried to copy Queen.

MCR never pulled off Queen like Muse did. Although it should be limited to one song per album (AP, TaB, USoE as mentioned above).

I just don't see Madness as IWTBF-like at all because IWTBF is good and Madness is horrible.

I think even the elephant in the room has become aware of this and finds it a little weird.

Dubstep isn't a "terrible bandwagon". It's a genre of music that's 20 years old and has recently entered into the mainstream and popular artists need not apologise for co opting it, but that's got nothing to do with the not so subtle references to Queen that were fun in USoE and the like but now seem to be occurring a bit too often.

Dubstep is just over 10 years old at a push and has been in and influencing the mainstream for 4-5 of them. If muse had started using ideas from it around the time of absolution it would have seemed more credible but not now when Skrillex is held up as the epitome of all things dubstep and has been churning out derivative shit for several years.

Ie it is a bit of a bandwagon.

Dubstep is just over 10 years old at a push and has been in and influencing the mainstream for 4-5 of them. If muse had started using ideas from it around the time of absolution it would have seemed more credible but not now when Skrillex is held up as the epitome of all things dubstep and has been churning out derivative shit for several years.

Ie it is a bit of a bandwagon.

Agreed.

Archived