The new elephant in the room: Muse need to stop trying to be Queen

ChrisirhC

I'm just more afraid of the fact people are saying they don't like Queen. I'll rephrase it for you, you pretend you don't like them, so you'll ramble on about music being subjective and Freddie wasn't that good.

Well I'll counter your counter and count that as check

Ooh boya.

I guess I'm the only person that doesn't really mind it. I like the Queen/U2 influences. :phu:

I think the only problem Ive ever had with Muse sounding too "Queen" is during USoE. Even then, it's still a great song.

I like the Queen-influenced songs. I wouldn't mind more Queen-style songs than sound like Survival or USoE, I just think they'd be even better if they sounded Musier rather than sticking so closely to the Queen formula.

I like the Queen-influenced songs. I wouldn't mind more Queen-style songs than sound like Survival or USoE, I just think they'd be even better if they sounded Musier rather than sticking so closely to the Queen formula.

Fair enough, I just personally think whenever they do try and pull off Queen they do it very well, so I'm not so bothered with it. There are other bands that try and pull off Queen and fail miserably (see Foxy Shazam and The Darkness).

Fair enough, I just personally think whenever they do try and pull off Queen they do it very well, so I'm not so bothered with it. There are other bands that try and pull off Queen and fail miserably (see Foxy Shazam and The Darkness).

I would definately like to think Muse are a bit more of a 'serious' band than the Darkness... I get Matt having a laugh at a few places in the album, but where is the line before it becomes full blown comedy rock?

Or, as someone aptly stated a comedic Queen tribute band.

USoE... Didn't like it. From the first time I heard it, it was just too uncomfortably like a Queen parody. I didn't "get" it, and I didn't find it pleasant to listen to.

I enjoy that Muse makes "fun" music, and it doesn't need to be deadly serious... but as soon as they start singing joke songs about boobs and fucking a stuffed bear in a bikini... I'm outta here.

You seem terribly upset.

Pass the tissues

Nowt wrong with that. I'm sure that describes thousands of people.

Not one to judge but I'm sure Clunge like many (including me) would have pointed out the many better songs they have if you listened to them in depth instead of just hearing the hits etc..

Maybe you've listened to the majority of their stuff and if so fair enough.

Not one to judge but I'm sure Clunge like many (including me) would have pointed out the many better songs they have if you listened to them in depth instead of just hearing the hits etc..

Maybe you've listened to the majority of their stuff and if so fair enough.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I haven't really listened to Queen nor have strong feelings about them one way or another other than having spent many a drunken Saturday night screaming the words to Don't Stop Me Now at a function room ceiling with friends, but I think if someone does happen to just like a song like Killer Queen or NSC and hate the rest, that's cool, even if it's incomprehensible :)

I like Queen, but bands that try to sound like Queen almost always suck. USoE was fine as a one-off, but it's really getting old now. To be honest I don't think Muse are good at bombastic rock in general, with one or two exceptions. I'm more into their poppier and/or more subdued stuff.

U2 have a lot of bland material, but Zooropa and War are great albums and bands that take inspiration from them are less likely to be shit. I really like the Zooropa vibe that's going on in the latter part of Madness.

Get out.

:p I like Queen and U2. I don't really understand why becoming like them is so horrible. Despite the fact that Muse sound a wee bit cheesey they still maintain an identity, which is more than a lot of bands can say when they have a similar sound. This is only temporary anyway because they're trying new things like every band.

P.S I love Foxy Shazam, don't ever down on them!

USoE was fine as a one-off, but it's really getting old now.

Exactly. When you've got 3 or 4 songs on an album that are described by reviewers as being similar to Queen (and we know that it's probably true), then it's both annoying and hard to defend.

Muse like bombastic rock. Muse like Queen. I think they said more than once that Queen is the best band in the world. There is nothing wrong with some Queen influence in Muse songs.

It´s just our fault, if we think about a Queen tribute, when we hear vocal harmonies or choirs in a Muse song.

I understand that a lot of fans want old school Muse back. But that said no one can deny that Survival, Unsustainable and even Madness had musey elements.

There is nothing wrong with some Queen influence in Muse songs.
In your opinion. Also, Muse seem unable to take influence by Queen without sounding like a parody band, which is the problem.

I understand that a lot of fans want old school Muse back.
Please don't.

In your opinion. Also, Muse seem unable to take influence by Queen without sounding like a parody band, which is the problem.

Yes, in my opinion. I said nothing otherwise. I quite liked Survival, more than USoE.

Please don't.

You lack empathy. Peace, not war. :phu:

Personally I don´t want another OoS. (See Unnatural Selection: a good song, but standard OoS sound. Nothing new for Muse.)

Archived