I think there will be some small differences to hear, but you'd need a good sound system to really bring out all those differences. I'll probably just keep the FLAC for computer use and convert to a v0 MP3 for everything else since I doubt I'll notice a big difference walking around outside with simple headphones.

Yeah for sure...I can definitely tell the difference between 128/160 mp3's from the old days vs 256-320...but I know I wouldnt be able to tell the difference between 320/flac and HD audio...I don't think the difference is going to be noticeable to even the snobbiest of audio snobs. They'll think they hear it...

Some good headphones and a headphone amp and you'll definitely hear it, it's hardly snobbery ;)

^okay so I'll just go to the store and spend the big bucks on fancy headphones and a headphone amp. Hmm, maybe for now I'll just use my speakers and tell myself that what I'm hearing is better than anything else :LOL:

(Whoops, two up)

FabriPav already has his. I think it arrived within the last 24 hours.

/timezones

School needs to be over so I can run to the mailbox everyday until it comes in!

Interesting discussion about sound quality. I'm far from an expert, but here's my two cents.

Lossy means quality was lost during compression. This is the case of all MP3s. Files are much smaller than lossless files.

Lossless means no quality has been lost, so the full digital sound wave is there. They exist both in uncompressed formats, like WAV, and compressed formats, like FLAC. You can achieve the same quality with compressed and uncompressed lossless files. Compressed files are just smaller.

Within the lossless realm you have various qualities, with the most common being 16/44.1, or CD quality. There are qualities higher than this, with the digital sampling being more precise. The HiRes 24/96 format included with this box set is an example. Again, for this quality FLAC or WAV is just the same, since you can easily convert one to the other without any loss.

In summary, 24/96 (either WAV or FLAC) > CD quality (either WAV or FLAC) > any MP3. The problem is that regardless how good your headphones are you can't hear a 24/96 file in that quality with a normal laptop soundcard (or iPod), since it is downcoverted to CD quality.

I have pro headphones and a 24/96 audio interfase and would be the first one to admit that even though 24/96 files seem to sound better, they don't sound significantly better than a CD. They do sound really clear, but I'm not sure I could always differentiate them from CD quality without errors...

In any case, I'm dying to hear The 2nd Law on 24/96!

Hope my post above is useful to someone!

Question: Did anyone have problems downloading the The 2nd Law: Unsustainable video? What format is it? How big is the file? I haven't bought the box set yet and I am curious about this video.

Thanks!

I didn't have any issues with it. It's an MP4 file and 317mb.

I know, I want it now!

Ah, thanks. I just checked the status. "Not yet shipped." :(

considering the price (and the element of exclusivity), i see no reason why those who ordered the box set should receive it any later than the precise day of the release. i mean, really -- pay 10x more than 99.999% of those who shell out even any funds at all for the music...and receive it tardily?

unfortunately, history seems to be repeating itself; this issue happened with TR boxset shipments -- for most living stateside, anyway...

considering the price (and the element of exclusivity), i see no reason why those who ordered the box set should receive it any later than the precise day of the release. i mean, really -- pay 10x more than 99.999% of those who shell out even any funds at all for the music...and receive it tardily?

unfortunately, history seems to be repeating itself; this issue happened with TR boxset shipments -- for most living stateside, anyway...

I'm not really complaining quite yet, I'm just impatient and spoiled and I want it early. Also I selected the shitty shipping term since I don't like paying more for shipping. If it's not here by the 5th, then I might get a bit pissy.

I'm not really complaining quite yet, I'm just impatient and spoiled and I want it early. Also I selected the shitty shipping term since I don't like paying more for shipping. If it's not here by the 5th, then I might get a bit pissy.

i'm preemptively complaining, contingent upon a possible late delivery. otoh, if it arrives either early or on time...

I'm with you all on hoping to receive it early! I'm waiting for it to arrive in my mailbox to finally give T2L a listen (unless it comes in late of course, then damn I'm just streaming it online)

But since I'm from Canada I bought it from the Canadian store (I believe Rhino Records?) and I have no idea where to go to track that

I received an email notification today that said it's on its way! :awesome:

I got an email a while ago saying my boxset was coming from Australia instead of the UK (I ordered from .mu :facepalm:) but my order on .mu says arrival is Oct 1. Release day here is friday, so I'm not sure when to get it but I really hope it comes by friday. :(

Archived