How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

But the lyrics are totally devoid of any theme other than being winning. Or strong. Or unforgiving. It doesn't really hold together as a concept nor reflect anything of any meaning.

Now if Matt has said he wrote it after watching the Hunger Game and it was inspired by a challenge that threatens your life when you've got to succeed and do so with elaborate showmanship and to great applause then the song works considerably better.

He actually does adress "the darkness"- 3.35 onwards.

I suppose it's more difficult for native speakers to ignore daft lyrics, so I get why people dwell on this topic, even though for me the badness is meaningless. I mean even if I as a second languge speaker understand every word, it doesn't "hit" your brain the same way as hearing lyrics in your native languge- some lyrics in Finnish bother me to the point of not being able to listen to the songs.

In other news, Survival is charting on iTunes in some countries (not UK though), with the highest position currently in Finland #2 :happy: (although that probably means it sold about 31 downloads here).

http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10songs.html

Oh and I've grown to love the song.

Agreed. I'd prefer it to everything but Exo to be honest. It's close to Uprising, MK Ultra and USoE though.

You really did not like TR, did you? :LOL:

The more I listen to this, the more annoying the choir gets. Really such a shame because all the other parts I cringed at first listen have grown on me already.

I kind of agree with this. It would have been better without the choir.

All you haters; have a cry you retards. Sure, it's certainly not a perfect 'muse song' - it's a feel good anthem made for the masses to be heard at the olympics. Stop saying all your bullshit about "ohhh WHHAAAA I miss showbiz!". By the way, showbiz sucks big time.

:noey:

If you haven't gathered Prelude and Survival are two tracks from the album you need to wake up

Well presumably, anyway. The idea of it being part of the song isn't exactly without precedent though.

I think this association with the Olympics has really hurt the track actually. It's that tying of the lyrics to the Olympics that makes them quite as cheesy and cringe worthy as they are. I'm finding it much easier to listen to if I instead associate it with something like The Hunger Games or Lord Of The Flies. Which actually would make more sense, unless Matt genuinely thinks athletes are killed in the Olympics, e.g. "I choose to survive," "Yes I’m prepared to stay alive," "I won't forgive, vengeance is mine." As much as it would liven up the games, those bits definitely don't scream Olympics to me!

The lyrics are admittedly still pretty bad, even if you do replace the Olympics with The Hunger Games/Lord of the Flies/whatever in your mind, but they're not quite as horrendously cheesy. Which would be a small plus, and allow you to let the lyrics fade into the background a bit more.

I think this association with the Olympics has really hurt the track actually. It's that tying of the lyrics to the Olympics that makes them quite as cheesy and cringe worthy as they are. I'm finding it much easier to listen to if I instead associate it with something like The Hunger Games or Lord Of The Flies. Which actually would make more sense, unless Matt genuinely thinks athletes are killed in the Olympics, e.g. "I choose to survive," "Yes I’m prepared to stay alive," "I won't forgive, vengeance is mine." I wouldn't be wholly against that, but those bits definitely don't scream Olympics to me!

The lyrics are admittedly still pretty bad, even if you do replace the Olympics with The Hunger Games/Lord of the Flies/whatever in your mind, but they're not quite as horrendously cheesy. Which would be a small plus.

Putting it with something like that would've made it more serious. And therefore shitter. Imo

I think this association with the Olympics has really hurt the track actually. It's that tying of the lyrics to the Olympics that makes them quite as cheesy and cringe worthy as they are. I'm finding it much easier to listen to if I instead associate it with something like The Hunger Games or Lord Of The Flies. Which actually would make more sense, unless Matt genuinely thinks athletes are killed in the Olympics, e.g. "I choose to survive," "Yes I’m prepared to stay alive," "I won't forgive, vengeance is mine." I wouldn't be wholly against that, but those bits definitely don't scream Olympics to me!

The lyrics are admittedly still pretty bad, even if you do replace the Olympics with The Hunger Games/Lord of the Flies/whatever in your mind, but they're not quite as horrendously cheesy. Which would be a small plus.

That's why I wonder if he was trying to come up with lyrics that would also work in context with the album. But yeah, they still suck.

I think this association with the Olympics has really hurt the track actually. It's that tying of the lyrics to the Olympics that makes them quite as cheesy and cringe worthy as they are. I'm finding it much easier to listen to if I instead associate it with something like The Hunger Games or Lord Of The Flies.

I may keep l.o.f. in mind when i listen to it now, seems much better :happy:

Putting it with something like that would've made it more serious. And therefore shitter. Imo

I agree with that. The intent was to be pompous and over the top I think, with lyrics that were also silly in the context of the lighthearted spirit of the games. I know referring to survival and vengeance isn't exactly lighthearted, but the way those words were incorporated into the spirit of the song made it work.

Archived