How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

I hope so. When these guys aren't taking the piss, they're amazing. There's a reason so many people love their earlier stuff, they were actually creating personal music, as in writing about stuff that mattered to them in one way or another. In The Resistance it felt like they had all these cool ideas, but didn't really have enough interest to go beyond that. Here, of course...

Oh yeah, definitely. TR was a mixed bag really, there were some deeper lyrics, but also some like Survival.

I do think that if they'd taken Survival seriously, it would've been really crap.

Even Loooooooooove, is foooooreeeeeveeeeeer. has it's moments.0

Yup, Survival's lyrics are the terrible ideas that immediately spring to mind at the concept of an official Olympic Games song. The ones you toss out without a second thought before putting some actual effort in.

They might not be great lyrics, but the point is that they usually fit in with the song... The lyrics in the first part of Survival reaaaally don't

They fit with the Olympics, imho :erm: and Olympics don't offer much freedom of lyrics-writing, you know

There's a reason so many people love their earlier stuff, they were actually creating personal music, as in writing about stuff that mattered to them in one way or another.

Spot on, and describes how dissapointed I am with their work since 2009.

Even in this song the guitar wankery seems tacked on as an afterthought.

Obviously not copy but produce similar stuff that is just as incredible. Just for me they've not produced anything incredible since Absolution. Black holes had a couple of really good songs but not quite as good, Resistance was even more different which is okay I guess but for my tastes I would say there's not really anything anything that can get anywhere near Absolution of Origin. Although I think it's possible there could be some good heavy songs on here and I'm interested the hear the dubsteppy stuff like unsustainable.

Yeah I get you. They easily could come out with some really good stuff, this proves it, despite the fact it's essentially a pisstake.

Black Holes was inconsistent, definitely. I don't think they'll ever get back up to the Abso and OoS heights though

Oh yeah, definitely. TR was a mixed bag really, there were some deeper lyrics, but also some like Survival.

I do think that if they'd taken Survival seriously, it would've been really crap.

The lyrics to Redemption are beautiful.

Yeah, I agree haha, it's the Olympics, the whole thing is a joke :LOL:

The most terrible thing about the lyrics is all the rhyming...

Yeah! It's straight up nursery-rhyme standard, he's been learning tricks from his kiddo, clearly

The guitar wankery is amazing in my opinion :LOL: Best he's ever done.

Yeah I agree! Always wanted him to do some more technical stuff, he's got the ability

I do get the feeling it'll be amazing live too

Indeed! I liked MK Ultra's too

Exactly :LOL: It's fun, and the instrumental is awesome

Ah, yes, MK Ultra had some nice lyrics :happy: Not as good as Guiding Light though! :awesome:

Definitely! That's why I do actually like it. It's so ridiculous there's no way it was meant to be serious! They're just having fun, with this one, and will hopefully blow us away with the rest of the album

i dont know if it was already mentioned before but the quiet piano part after the prelude sounds exactly like one of those songs you would hear on all these apple adds :LOL:

imo survival isnt as bad as everybody said before at all. but it could also depend on my pessimistic attitude i had after i heard the 10 sec preview.

but all in all i would say its a progress from NSC :D

They fit with the Olympics, imho :erm: and Olympics don't offer much freedom of lyrics-writing, you know

In my opinion it doesn't really capture it. I think the olympics (or any sporting events) is much about losing as it's to winning (and not in a "it's the taking part that counts" kind of way) but the despair and struggle they show. the moment someone literally crawls over the finishing line is more capturing to me than the "FUCK YEAH YOU LOSERS" vibe I get from these lyrics.

matt keeps getting better vocalwise.

at 3:45 he even articualtes lyrics properly while singing an high A in chest vocals.

Most of the times(always?!) he just uses the high A for long drawn out notes/screams.

hitting high notes doesn't make a song cool. Mariah Carey already proved that.

In my opinion it doesn't really capture it. I think the olympics (or any sporting events) is much about losing as it's to winning (and not in a "it's the taking part that counts" kind of way) but the despair and struggle they show. the moment someone literally crawls over the finishing line is more capturing to me than the "FUCK YEAH YOU LOSERS" vibe I get from these lyrics.

Surely they wrote it to get the runners running as fast as they could :phu:

To get away from dem lirikz

The vibe I get from the lyrics is more like "I'm sure of myself, I can make it, I trained so hard, I'll show to everyone what I can do", it's inspiring.

I apologize if this has already been brought up, but pretty much anywhere lyrics are posted, they say "And I'll give you my strength to the whole human race". It sounds like "And I'll reveal my strength to the whole human race". Plus that makes more sense.

Sigh. I remember this happening with USoE. People were disappointed with the lyrics and I can recall people actually thinking the song was a parody, people were saying that there's no way Matt is being serious in he way he says "turning to dust". Im glad Muse have changed it about, if they had released something similar to OoS or Abso i'd be somewhat disappointed.

Archived