How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Do you actually think that most of Muse lyrics are way better than those of Survival? :rolleyes:

besides, the song was written for Olympics. Im guessing it's kinda hard to write good lyrics about it.

Also, I don't think people cared about lyrics in this case. Me thinks that they just wanted a fairly good soundtrack for the ceremony.

Don't eat me, that's just what I think

besides, the song was written for Olympics. Im guessing it's kinda hard to write good lyrics about it.

Also, I don't think people cared about lyrics in this case. Me thinks that they just wanted a fairly good soundtrack for the ceremony.

Don't eat me, that's just what I think

tumblr_m5llpnp7Ht1ro5456.gif

Do you actually think that most of Muse lyrics are way better than those of Survival? :rolleyes:

They're usually notably better. That is why songs like Invincible and Resistance stand out so obviously as having bad lyrics. If they were all that bad no one would mention it.

I wonder what Sippe thinks of the song. He's been quite quiet, I wonder if he's been away?

If he left three days ago, there's a chance he might not have heard it at all. I'd be abit shocked if I left for a weekend and came back to 3000 new posts in Songs & Releases.

He'll probably think the song is ridiculous and laughworthy and praise Matt for the Bb4 chest note. ^^

Shit this song really isn't bad. Much better than it could have been. I feel ashamed for voting for no 2 after one listen, I now think its a four. I love how everyone was all "don't get your hopes up that the full song will be good, remember NSC" after that 1st 10 second clip.

That last falsetto cracks me up every time though :LOL:

If he left three days ago, there's a chance he might not have heard it at all. I'd be abit shocked if I left for a weekend and came back to 3000 new posts in Songs & Releases.

He'll probably think the song is ridiculous and laughworthy and praise Matt for the Bb4 chest note. ^^

Yeah this :LOL:

Ah! 50 odd listens later, still loving it more and more. About time somebody did a straight up 'I'm going to win' approach to a sports song again than some poxy shit about having the world at your feet and we're all going to have a great time partaking even if we're going out on day 1 in judo. Kudos to the Bellz. :p

I wonder how it'll work live. I love the suddenness of when the guitar kicks in, but it doesn't leave much time for a piano-guitar transition.

Matt said in the interview that there is guitar and piano throughout the entire song, something which he doesnt normally do as he can only play one or the other. BUT the song was written in mind with having a completely seperate pianist playing (Elton?). And with it being the olympic, i guess we will finally get the orchestra and a full choir too. My god the thought :LOL:

For the most part, yes, they are. They're usually better or more imaginative interpretation of the source material. Like USoE being based on Brzezinski and Orwell as source material, TSP being based on Faust, Ruled By Secrecy by stories of men who worked under authoritarian regimes, even Exo-Politics had a fun take on that crazy conspiracy theory and turned it into a decent song (before they recorded it, anyway). And you can tell from the lyrics. They're not great, no one is saying Matt is a poetic genius, but they're something anyway.

The Olympics is massive. It's existed for a very long time and there's no shortage of source material at hand. But the lyrics are totally devoid of any theme other than being winning. Or strong. Or unforgiving. It doesn't really hold together as a concept nor reflect anything of any meaning. Even Neutron Star Collision tells the story of a couple of people who fall in love in a vague manner, but at least it conveys something meaningful...given the source material.

You're welcome to like it, of course, but at least like it for what it is...

Now if Matt has said he wrote it after watching the Hunger Game and it was inspired by a challenge that threatens your life when you've got to succeed and do so with elaborate showmanship and to great applause then the song works considerably better.

Archived