james90

It's a Mr Black Tunnelworm Flanger. Presently a huge favorite of mine. A great pedal with a lot of different sounds. It can be aggressive or subtle based on your choice of settings, without a mix knob.

JT

Hmm I'll have to check that out. I sold my other flanger recently as it was lacking something compared to the others I've had. Just sounded a bit dull.

Also got a call from the Friedman dealer I preordered the 20 watt from, and they're sending it out this week I think. Apparently they're quite loud for 20 watts, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue (famous last words?)

He's also doing an attenuator now, but I'm pretty happy with the one I have

Correction. The pink and black one in front is a Mr black Boost Tiger. It's up to a 20db clean boost that works on front of and on the loop of an amp. I really like it but you have to be careful because 20 dB of boost on a loop can tear your ears and speakers to shreds.

20 watts can be nearly as loud as 50, it will just have less clean headroom.

A used a vox ac15 that was louder than my 100 watt Boogie when in the sweet spot.

JT

Yeah, definitely. I have a 30 watt Orange head which is a lot louder than any other 30 watt amp I've played. Would be interesting to see what it's actually putting out when cranked

I'm not going to be cranking this 20 watt up all the way though. The 50 watt for example sounds best at about 11 o clock on the master, which is pretty loud, but it does get a fair bit louder. The master volume on these are great though - you can get a usable sound at literally any volume

Are you referring to the dual rectifier?

I got an old AC30 head not long ago - I need to get it fixed up before using it, but it's definitely going to be run through the attenuator most of the time, seeing as there's no way to really get any distortion without turning it up a fair bit

20 watts can be nearly as loud as 50, it will just have less clean headroom. A used a vox ac15 that was louder than my 100 watt Boogie when in the sweet spot.

JT

It's ~30% less loud, depending on the configuration.

No, it's not even close to 30%. It's more like 5 % to 10 % less loud mathematically and that's before the distortion is the signal boosts the perceived volume. It's not a direct equation, look up the math because I'm too lazy.

JT.

Edited by Impulse 101

No, it's not even close to 30%. It's more like 5 % to 10 % less loud mathematically and that's before the distortion is the signal boosts the perceived volume. It's not a direct equation, look up the math because I'm too lazy.

JT.

I don't need to, I know what i'm talking about.

You need 10 times the power to produce a doubling of loudness. An increase of 10dB is perceived as a doubling of loudness.

Doubling the power of a 20w amp will give you ~20% more perceived level, or around a 3dB increase in overall level. 4 times the power is around 6dB, or around 50% louder.

Do the math, then come back and try again.

Swear I've heard that wattage doesn't affect that much how loud an amp can go, rather when the cleans start to break up?

does all the math stuff apply to the amp as well, or is that referring more about just the speakers

iuno

enit

All the math is really just that, math. It's numbers on paper.

The quoted wattage of an amp, is derived from the disspation of the power amps. It doesn't take account of whether it's pushing a single 6" driver, or a wall of 4x12. It doesn't account for the efficiency of the speakers etc.. So there are all sorts of issues with using wattage to gauge how 'loud' an amp is before you even get into the logarithmic response of the ear, or its sensitivity to different frequencies.

Go away for a couple of days and....

Jaicen is right on the math, I rechecked it. That's what I get for posting when dealing with my kids in the background. Didn't mean to get your panties in a bundle.

All of this is mostly theoretical anyway. No one who want's to keep a gig runs their amp at 100% anyway. Even if the tubes are running at full all the time the input level that they are boosting is lowered (non MV). That's how the first stage of my Guytron runs, the 2xEL84 power tubes work harder at "rest" than they do when amplifying a signal because they are trying to boost the non-existent. Guy Hedrick is a genius, but a twisted one who loves to torture tubes. Luckily that power section is dummy loaded into a real 100 watt EL-34 power section that runs so cleanly that the tubes last for two years. The first power section runs at full load all of the time, those tubes last six months tops.

Where the rubber really hits the road is clean headroom. The power section of most 100 watt heads is barely kicking in at stage volumes in a club. The AC15 was pretty juicy they way that I ran it, but it was ear bleedingly loud and I only got away with it for a little while. A 50 watt amp is just as loud as a 100 watt in use, but you stand a running chance of getting some power tube distortion IF you play really fucking loud. I've only done it in the studio because my bandmates will lose their gourds if I tried to get that loud on stage.

I still use 100 watt heads on stage, the Guytron has the dual power section and the preamp section of my VHT/Fryette Deliverance 120 is pretty amazing. (no way in hell that I'll EVER push it's 4xKT88 power section into overdrive or anything close to it. I've tried with a 400 watt cabinet and it wasn't happening without killing everything in a 3 mile radius of my house.

Since we went to IEM's, I'm actually running my amp far lower than I ever thought I would and I love it. It sounds great and our sound guy doesn't have to bitch at me anymore. Life is good.

JT

Impulse, I just got my amp back from Dave (yep, all the way from Ireland)

It sounds like a train running full speed into a brick wall :facemelt:

Or something like that. It's a bit different from the other one, with about half the amount of gain. Seems to be closer to the BE-100 in gain levels... I think my other one just has more than usual

No, it's a completely different amp for a different application and it doesn't cost upwards of $20,000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_12Ler9B8

The above is a great sounding amp, but I'm not really after that sort of sound. Would certainly prefer it over some overrated amp like a dumble (see below) Wouldn't mind the guitar though, but that's currently on my list of "gear I will never own"

L5OzfX1emkA

Sounds like MFC's recording of supremacy tbf

Very cool James. Grab a few different OD pedals and try them in front of it with the gain no more than 70%. Go from boost to full on OD and let me know how it sounds.

I dig running a single channel amp slightly dirty and using pedals to get it over the top. The clean tone is just a guitar volume knob away. That's how I've been running the VHT for a while. That Tiger Boost sound killer in front of it and my Flex Drive takes it into high gain territory. Maybe I'll record a clip or two and post it.

JT

Very cool James. Grab a few different OD pedals and try them in front of it with the gain no more than 70%. Go from boost to full on OD and let me know how it sounds.

I dig running a single channel amp slightly dirty and using pedals to get it over the top. The clean tone is just a guitar volume knob away. That's how I've been running the VHT for a while. That Tiger Boost sound killer in front of it and my Flex Drive takes it into high gain territory. Maybe I'll record a clip or two and post it.

JT

I just bought an SD-1 actually, but I wasn't planning on using it with this amp. Dave basically described the higher gain input as using a pedal in front of the standard one - I think it's another gain stage in front or something like that.

I'll probably give it a try anyway, but I can't imagine it sounding much better. I know boosting with a pedal gives a different tone than just turning the gain up on the amp, though.

the 20 watt should be here later today. From the clips I've heard, the amount of gain is more like the 100 watt I got back. Not sure why the 50 watt has about twice as much... I couldn't understand why everyone else was running their gain all the way up, but I guess they usually have less