james90

So you'll have three Friedman amps? You win that contest.

JT

Not exactly. Two are modded Marshalls - only the 20 watt has his name on it.

Although, I wouldn't consider the 100 watt much of a Marshall anymore. He pretty much rebuilt it from the ground up for the previous owner, except it was a tweaked super lead spec rather than his standard modifications. The chassis and a few small parts like the pots and jacks are really the only things left - everything else has been replaced.

The 20 watt got here a couple of days ago. Sounds great, but is pretty dark sounding. Need to try it with a different cabinet, but I'm running the treble and mids on ten, and the bass on zero to give you an idea. No presence control on this one.

It does have an effects loop though, so maybe an EQ pedal in there would help

Not exactly. Two are modded Marshalls - only the 20 watt has his name on it.

Although, I wouldn't consider the 100 watt much of a Marshall anymore. He pretty much rebuilt it from the ground up for the previous owner, except it was a tweaked super lead spec rather than his standard modifications. The chassis and a few small parts like the pots and jacks are really the only things left - everything else has been replaced.

The 20 watt got here a couple of days ago. Sounds great, but is pretty dark sounding. Need to try it with a different cabinet, but I'm running the treble and mids on ten, and the bass on zero to give you an idea. No presence control on this one.

It does have an effects loop though, so maybe an EQ pedal in there would help

20w sounds broken! What guitar/pickups are you using??

To be fair, it sounds like the amp is loading your guitar. Have you got a good high impedance buffer to put in front of the amp to test this?

20w sounds broken! What guitar/pickups are you using??

To be fair, it sounds like the amp is loading your guitar. Have you got a good high impedance buffer to put in front of the amp to test this?

Tried a few different ones and they all sound pretty dark.

What do you mean by loading exactly? not heard of that before.

These amps are a bit dark sounding, but I wasn't quite expecting to have my EQ set like that!

Tried a few different ones and they all sound pretty dark.

What do you mean by loading exactly? not heard of that before.

These amps are a bit dark sounding, but I wasn't quite expecting to have my EQ set like that!

Basically, the pickups are trying to act like a current source, a low impedance means that the pickup needs to provide more current for the same output.

Try this:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan03/articles/impedanceworkshop.asp

My guess is that the amp is setup with a vintage correct, tweed style input and something like a 68k input impedance? It's good, because it tames the high end when using small speakers, but can be really really dark.

I'll check that out, but it does sound pretty much like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6mPJsaNSvs

I just thought it would have more mids and highs available. Apparently he's got everything set about half way in that video

I haven't it opened it up or anything, so I don't know how it works, but if they left out the presence control and used a fixed value instead, it might be that.

Impulse, apparently this amp has the same preamp section of the brown eye mod, but I have no idea about the power amp. I don't think a tube has gone bad or anything (although it does have a bit of hiss to it with the gain up)

Going to try it with some brighter speakers next. I usually run my amps through a 2x12 which has some greenback style speakers which I'd consider well balanced

A quick way to test the loading theory is to put a buffer in line between you and the amp. Any boss pedal on bypass will do the trick.

JT

Just tried this. I had the amp at a lower volume than before (it was 6:30 in the morning) but I can't say my highly tuned ears noticed much of a difference.

I'll try to make a recording later comparing it to the others. I imagine it's normal for the amp either way, but the 50 and 100 watt have so much more mids and highs available. The presence control on those amps is what really adds some brightness though.

• 3 weeks later...

bump

some AF pr0ns

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

that's authentic artificial relic'ing, son

also got the blue one back, but it's far from presentable... surprised a jazz musician could put that much wear on a guitar :\ he must be related to Jim

which means I'm related to Jim...shit

also, peddleboard, which I haven't changed in a few months surprisingly...

IMG_2408.jpg

however...

IMG_2407.jpg

:facepalm:

Here's mine:

4777a672e7c511e2a1e322000a9e0853_7.jpg

-Fender Strato Mexican (White)

-Boss ME-25 effectboard

-Roland Cube 40 Watt

The thing I love most about the ME-25 is that you can record the guitar and transfer to your computer by a single USB cable. Easy! And also the number of effect possibilites are really high.Personally I prefer this board than single pedals.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is Japanese so switching the P/ups was a necessary thing. Was tempted to put a wide range from my Tele into the bridge position, just never got around to it

Never got around to switching the bridge. The low E is really prone to just popping out so I should do it really. The mustang bridge is the one with actual string guides isn't it?

Damn I'm lazy.

Mine is Japanese so switching the P/ups was a necessary thing. Was tempted to put a wide range from my Tele into the bridge position, just never got around to it

Never got around to switching the bridge. The low E is really prone to just popping out so I should do it really. The mustang bridge is the one with actual string guides isn't it?

Damn I'm lazy.

I'd keep the jazzmaster type pickups in there really. No idea how a humbucker would work with that rhythm circuit or whatever it's called (assuming you still have it hooked up - I know some people bypass it)

And yeah, I switched mine for that reason, and because the saddles would lower themselves after a while. The mustang bridge does have proper string slots in each saddle, so the strings won't pop out if you strum hard. Only downside is that you can't raise or lower the saddles individually, but this doesn't matter since it's setup for a 7.25" fretboard radius which the jazzmaster already has.

http://www.jag-stang.com/guitars/jaguar/fender-jaguar-jazzmaster-bridge-mod/

There are more expensive bridges out there (I think the mustang bridge I got was about $30), but this works well enough for me, and was a MASSIVE improvement over the stock bridge

I mainly use the neck pick up, and actually quite like using the rhythm circuit sometimes.

Sadly I don't think SD sell the antiquity pups anymore.

I did fuck around with the bridge quite a bit years and years ago, sorted out most of the issues they typically have. just can't fix the E string issue without a string guide.

Guess I'll have to pull my thumb out of my arse and get a Mustang bridge when I sell my remaining pedals/drum bits.

I mainly use the neck pick up, and actually quite like using the rhythm circuit sometimes.

Sadly I don't think SD sell the antiquity pups anymore.

I did fuck around with the bridge quite a bit years and years ago, sorted out most of the issues they typically have. just can't fix the E string issue without a string guide.

Guess I'll have to pull my thumb out of my arse and get a Mustang bridge when I sell my remaining pedals/drum bits.

Yeah I like it as well - I don't really see a reason to remove it.

The saddles lowering themselves can be solved with that locktite stuff or whatever it's called, but the strings will still jump out. Not a great design at all.

dat leg

Has your jazzmaster been refretted by any chance? I think my '73 strat is LONG overdue for a refret, but I'm sort of avoiding it...

dat leg

Has your jazzmaster been refretted by any chance? I think my '73 strat is LONG overdue for a refret, but I'm sort of avoiding it...

Like whatcha see? :eyebrows:

Nope, not refretted yet, but it's getting there. Already figuring out whether I want to trust it to a local guy who's really good or send it somewhere like Chicago Music Exchange.

Like whatcha see? :eyebrows:

Nope, not refretted yet, but it's getting there. Already figuring out whether I want to trust it to a local guy who's really good or send it somewhere like Chicago Music Exchange.

Oh yes :eyebrows: Assuming it's yours...

Well if you know your local man is really good, then I don't see why you can't have him do it. You might be able to brag more if you sent it to chicago music exchange though.

I had a bit of fretwork done on one of my guitars by one of the better places in NYC, and they did a good job, but set it up all wrong and didn't fix the two other problems I mentioned. Might have been the weird feels man that took my order though...

The strat still plays anyway, but not particularly well. Need to have a refret and maybe some heavier strings to fix the back bow. might be able to get away with 12's or 13's in standard... but I don't want to :(

IMG_2449.jpg

:facemelt: Yes please. I will have them all. :awesome:

I never said anything was inside those boxes :ninja: Unless you want the boxes anyway?

Nah most of them are fuzz pedals... can't have too many of those.

Still need the dr. freakenstein though.