james90

For JimbobMansionR2D2 (and D3adstar I guess)

IMG_2317.jpg

Dying to hear what the amp sounds like, but I really need to get it serviced first

Also, the jazzmaster plays sort of alright with the action cranked way up, but it's getting close to what you'd find on an old supro guitar :awesome:

For JimbobMansionR2D2 (and D3adstar I guess)

IMG_2317.jpg

Dying to hear what the amp sounds like, but I really need to get it serviced first

Also, the jazzmaster plays sort of alright with the action cranked way up, but it's getting close to what you'd find on an old supro guitar :awesome:

Y no Dom? I love jazzmasters and would love that amp :(

I dream of being able to afford your stuff James :LOL: Currently debating whether I can afford a little under £50 for some power cables, set of strings and some new saddles for jazz

Hey all, it's been a while.

James do you own all of the Mansons now?:LOL:

I have nothing to report on the gear front except a couple of new pedals here and there.

JT

Hey Impulse

Strange, I was browsing a tele thread on TGP yesterday (looking to steal ideas... honest) and spotted your Suhrs. Post some pictures of the red/black one because I need something to G.A.S. over

And yeah, there might be a few that you might not remember me having :facepalm: Have you seen their new E series guitars?

What pedals?

A bunch of new stuff. I've been playing around with different tones and textures. My favorites are the Soundblox Multiwave Distortion Pro and the Mr. Black Tunnelworm Flanger. Some old favorites have been pulled out of storage too, like my really old MIJ Boss PH-2 Phaser. I've gone through a couple of chorus and delay pedals, but nothing has really caught my ear as being better than my rack stuff.

I need to take some better pictures of the red Suhr, it took a bunch when I first got it but I haven't taken any since. It's a great guitar, perfect for playing out in any weather with the roasted neck and locking trem. This spring I've done five or six shows outside where the temp swung from 70 to 40 and it stayed in tune perfectly.

JT

A bunch of new stuff. I've been playing around with different tones and textures. My favorites are the Soundblox Multiwave Distortion Pro and the Mr. Black Tunnelworm Flanger. Some old favorites have been pulled out of storage too, like my really old MIJ Boss PH-2 Phaser. I've gone through a couple of chorus and delay pedals, but nothing has really caught my ear as being better than my rack stuff.

I need to take some better pictures of the red Suhr, it took a bunch when I first got it but I haven't taken any since. It's a great guitar, perfect for playing out in any weather with the roasted neck and locking trem. This spring I've done five or six shows outside where the temp swung from 70 to 40 and it stayed in tune perfectly.

JT

That one has a roasted neck? Is it plain or figured? I know Suhr is a bit funny about selling figured maple necks for some reason.

They're doing roasted maple necks at Mansons now - I ordered a custom with one a while back and got it a few weeks ago.

8815_10151670729305944_2010106164_n.jpg

976348_10151644201795944_1706962014_o.jpg

Also, I bought one of those 20 watt Friedman amps... No idea when they'll be sending it to me though.

I also sent Dave another amp to mod - I imagine it will be done within the next month or so. Still got the 50 watt he did for me a couple of years back which I play through more than any other amp I have

It's plain. I won't do figured necks, they are not as stable as a plain maple neck. I don't mind some "show" with my "go" but business comes before beauty. John Suhr doesn't like to do figured necks for the same reason.

Dave's amps are one of the finest Marshall style amps you can buy anywhere. I've heard some Suhr modded heads that are very similar and just as good and some other guys too but if that was my thing I'd go to Dave and be done with it. I saw Billy Idol last week and Steve Stevens had a HBE, his new Freidman SS-100 and two Suhr PT-100 heads. He used his sig and the PT-100 most often and they both sound fucking killer.

JT

It's plain. I won't do figured necks, they are not as stable as a plain maple neck. I don't mind some "show" with my "go" but business comes before beauty. John Suhr doesn't like to do figured necks for the same reason.

Dave's amps are one of the finest Marshall style amps you can buy anywhere. I've heard some Suhr modded heads that are very similar and just as good and some other guys too but if that was my thing I'd go to Dave and be done with it. I saw Billy Idol last week and Steve Stevens had a HBE, his new Freidman SS-100 and two Suhr PT-100 heads. He used his sig and the PT-100 most often and they both sound fucking killer.

JT

I still don't know what to believe as far as that goes. The most stable neck I've ever had is heavily flamed maple - it pretty much refuses to move unless there's an extreme change in temperature/humidity

The only necks I've truly had issues with were mahogany (most of these were on older gibsons)

The amp I sent Dave this time was one he pretty much rebuilt from the ground up in 2006 for someone else, but they wanted the VH sound, so he basically did a tweaked super lead spec (not his usual mods). It sounded great, but really needed to be run at 95v with the bias cranked and the volume all the way up for that sound. Not practical at all.

I've never heard any Suhr modded Marshalls. What sort of mods did he do?

They seem to have nailed that sound with the SL68 though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH5IpjpT0rc

N'aww thanks guys!

No Dave, thank you - now is my amp done? Where do I send the money?