Also got a bad feeling that Reading/Leeds really is the only thing they're doing in Europe this year. Just looked at the line-up on the site and Muse are the only exclusive act that aren't specified as being festival-exclusive only.

I think a lot of people had suspected it for a while, ever since he started dropping the piano for it back on the TR Tour. There was a fan video last year where someone requested it outside a venue and Matt's reaction was effectively "fuck no, anything else pls" though, so that pretty much confirmed it :chuckle:

Shame, was fucking immense at Download, but maybe cameo appearances like that are actually better for it if that's how Matt feels.

I think I've seen that video I'd love to watch it again though lol. I just wish they didn't feel like they need to play both Resistance and Uprising at every show at this point, it'd be great if they'd rotate them (I'd pick Resistance given the choice) but forever reason Uprising is an absolute must in their set lists, but as is Starlight, madness, supermassive black hole which all start to take up too much room, although I'm not saying anything new am I?

How it should be rotated next tour

Knights of Cydonia/Survival/Take a Bow (closing)

Starlight/SMBH

TiRO/Hysteria/PiB

Uprising/Resistance (Undisclosed Desires should fuck off permanently but if it doesn't fit it in here)

Madness/Dead Inside

Stockholm Syndrome/New Born/Reapers/Unnatural Selection

That's like 5-6 slots opened up right there. I've never understood the sense of obligation to play every single hit they've ever had at every single show.

Muse unfortunately want to play 16-18 song sets with about a dozen songs locked in and 4-5 pairs of songs rotated in the other slots. It's tough to get much variety when your entire tour consists of less than 25 total songs. Of course, if they played 25 songs each night, they could be forgiven for doing the same set at every show.

I remember reading that Pearl Jam played something like 100 different songs over the first 3 dates of a recent tour. With set lists offering that kind of depth and variety, I doubt that too many people leave their shows thinking, "Damn, I can't believe they didn't play Jeremy." And I also doubt that every fan at their shows is familiar with all of the 30+ songs that they perform each night.

Mercy seems like a more natural rotation for Starlight imo. Same with Panic Station for Supermassive, though I'm fine with that being a staple tbf.

I'll play it for him.

Same :chuckle: Been playing it on the reg for 8 years and still find it one of their most fun songs.

I remember reading that Pearl Jam played something like 100 different songs over the first 3 dates of a recent tour. With set lists offering that kind of depth and variety, I doubt that too many people leave their shows thinking, "Damn, I can't believe they didn't play Jeremy." And I also doubt that every fan at their shows is familiar with all of the 30+ songs that they perform each night.

Never forget the justification for the 2015 South American ticket prices being "same price as pearl jam innit".

Good times. Goood times.

Mercy seems like a more natural rotation for Starlight imo. Same with Panic Station for Supermassive, though I'm fine with that being a staple tbf

Shit, forgot about Mercy, another song that'll likely take a better songs slot on the coming tour lol. Would love to see Panic station over SMBH, especially if it's not the low octave fuzz version from T2L tour, although Panic Stations outing on the Drones Tour (not Montruex) was a train wreck so I'll bet they're reluctant to bring that out as well

Y'know what, I'd actually be pretty down with them reworking Starlight into a piano song and sticking it in a hits-based piano slot on rotation with Feely G and an also reworked Unintended. Then balance that out with another, heavier/rarity-based piano slot.

Y'know what, I'd actually be pretty down with them reworking Starlight into a piano song and sticking it in a hits-based piano slot on rotation with Feely G and an also reworked Unintended. Then balance that out with another, heavier/rarity-based piano slot.

I'd be totally cool with something like that too. If they must work all these singles into every show from one tour to the next, then do something different and original with them. I've said before that their concerts feel so by-the-book when all the same songs get played in the same way every tour. Even the intros and outro riffs are pretty much the same. The only real changes have involved Morgan playing more guitar instead of Matt and I'm not sure how that's supposed to be an improvement.

Even if you just go with 18 songs, you can get something like this pretty easily (new song positions are obvs mostly irrelevant guestimations there for structure):

*New Opener*

*New Song*

Supermassive Black Hole

*New Song*

Dead Star / Hyper Music / Assassin / Fury

Citizen Erased / Butterflies & Hurricanes

Sunburn / Apocalypse Please / Hoodoo / Ruled By Secrecy

Starlight / Feeling Good / Unintended

Madness / Resistance / Dead Inside

*New Song*

Hysteria / Time Is Running Out

The Handler / Reapers

Knights Of Cydonia / Stockholm Syndrome

*New Song*

Sing For Absolution / Mercy / Map Of The Problematique / Invincible

Plug In Baby / Bliss / New Born

Psycho / Uprising

*New Closer*

.....but then, we do/say this before every tour cycle. Definition of insanity, etc. etc.

I'm completely in agreement with that set list. So many of those songs deserve to be played. It just seems like they're unwilling to consider putting Starlight, TIRO, Hysteria, Knights, Madness, Uprising, Resistance and possibly now Dead Inside or Mercy into rotations for American audiences. They're hesitant to even drop Undisclosed Desires and who really needs to hear that one live again?

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel

Good excuse (2)

tough to teach a dog new tricks, ain't it?

The production has never and will never dictate anything about the setlists. Of course they would prefer to play songs with visuals, but not only are they able to do "generic lighting", they seem to be able to do it on the fly.

i somewhat agree...and somewhat disagree. i think it would be foolish to think that the production on the drones tour played an insignificant role in how that show flowed from gig to gig. on the other hand, yes -- they're obviously capable of playing any song on the fly, witness many occurrences of that over the years. and yeah, last year, whenever they played something uncommon, they largely just lit the light cannons and flung 'em around the arena.

by the same token, although the band has shown it can occasionally dig for truffles, fetch, and play a truly deep(er) cut or two on a whim...seems like there's a limit to that (recall the 'pick from the list and we'll play the top two songs at the next gig' shit from...what was it...the ukraine gig of last year?).

speaking of which, i'd suggest they spend two or three days running through a bunch of older material and make the 'choose from this (big) list' thing a regular...thing. or some such. or not.

I have said before I like the idea of doing Starlight with Matt on piano, if only to bring variety to the song. Certainly it might be more straight-forward for Morgan, given he's spent the bulk of the last 3 1/2 years doing the piano and guitar for Starlight, and presumably cueing the synth backing tracks too.

I'm still surprised by the fact Resistance gets a good reaction from casuals. Dead Inside doesn't seem too get anything like that, even if that tour press release made a lot of the fact it charted at #1 on some US radio chart.

In terms of production, I thought for some reason they may use the Drones Tetris festival set. Unless we think they might have something else?

*carefully peeks through the door*

H-hi. I'm new here. Kind of.

I'm seeing a lot of disgruntled fans here and I don't understand why. Granted, I haven't been a Muse fan for as long as some other people. I've been to two Muse concerts in Norway. I thought they were great, although the energy of the first one was certainly higher than the second one, but they were still both amazing experiences in my opinion.

I hear people talking about Matt's lame stage persona and lacking guitar action? I haven't seen that, neither in the concerts I saw live nor the ones I've seen on YouTube. He seems pretty energetic and active to me on stage. And I've loved the setlists he had here. But then again, there's not a Muse song I dislike entirely. I like some more than others, but none where I think "oh no, not this one".

Anyway. I was wondering, do the V.I.P tickets not include a meeting with them? I could have sworn they had that in 2013. Only, then I couldn't afford that. When I could afford it last year, I didn't buy them because it just doesn't seem worth it if it doesn't include a brief meeting with the band.

That's funny you use that as an example. I've seen Pearl Jam 5 times since 2003 and have never once heard Jeremy. Maybe the 6th time will be the charm :LOL:

But yeah, there's not nearly enough variety on Muse's own tours and with this being a kind-of-sort-of-not co-headline thing, I can't see it suddenly getting any better this summer (maybe PVRIS 7-7:30, 30STM 8-9, Muse 9:30-11?). It'll be interesting to see the first couple setlists to see how this will play out.

*carefully peeks through the door*

H-hi. I'm new here. Kind of.

I'm seeing a lot of disgruntled fans here and I don't understand why. Granted, I haven't been a Muse fan for as long as some other people. I've been to two Muse concerts in Norway. I thought they were great, although the energy of the first one was certainly higher than the second one, but they were still both amazing experiences in my opinion.

I hear people talking about Matt's lame stage persona and lacking guitar action? I haven't seen that, neither in the concerts I saw live nor the ones I've seen on YouTube. He seems pretty energetic and active to me on stage. And I've loved the setlists he had here. But then again, there's not a Muse song I dislike entirely. I like some more than others, but none where I think "oh no, not this one".

Anyway. I was wondering, do the V.I.P tickets not include a meeting with them? I could have sworn they had that in 2013. Only, then I couldn't afford that. When I could afford it last year, I didn't buy them because it just doesn't seem worth it if it doesn't include a brief meeting with the band.

You are in Europe...

Go look at the North American Setlists in 2015/16 - they had UD and Resistance every night, and no sign of Stockholm, TaB, and Plug In, Bliss and Citizen were scarcely played.

Nope, the VIP thing's never involved a meet-and-greet tmk. Wouldn't advise supporting it either since it's a pretty shitty system towards fans, but it's your money.

You are in Europe...

Go look at the North American Setlists in 2015/16 - they had UD and Resistance every night, and no sign of Stockholm, TaB, and Plug In, Bliss and Citizen were scarcely played.

I know there's a blatant bias and all but Europe can get shite sets, too.

Their last two gigs in Oslo have seen stuff like Resistance, Guiding Light and UD. So they probably have seen some naff songs and just didn't mind them.

For me, it's not necessarily about the quality of the songs they play but the lack of variety. Subtract the Drones album tracks from the show I saw on their last tour and every other song was played in the 2nd Law gig that I attended. Remove Madness and the rest of the set was also played in the Resistance shows that I saw.

It's not that I dislike all the singles or begrudge them having a few concert staples but a little variety for their repeat customers would be appreciated.

That's funny you use that as an example. I've seen Pearl Jam 5 times since 2003 and have never once heard Jeremy. Maybe the 6th time will be the charm

I imagine that you're pretty busted up that those 5 concerts included over 160 songs during 15 hours of live performance even though they kept forgetting to play their biggest single. Probably no prerecorded playback or lasers either. So lame of them.

There was no VIP meet and greet last time, either.

The band doesn't HAVE to drop the singles.

I've seen plenty of bands where they still manage to play all the big singles, and have tremendous setlists, even at 18 songs (although Muse US is usually shorter than that, which is pretty unacceptable.)

Put in a couple of real stellar rarities in the remaining slots, and people are still going to be happy. It's really that easy.

It has nothing to do with the singles, or the visuals (there were just a couple of Drones Tour visuals that were song specific if you really think about it, and they weren't shy of dropping those anyways, as much of the US didn't get that blacked out stage, fire halo, blinkie glasses bit when they dropped a song slot and didn't fill it.)

It's everything to do with Matt's poor attitude about playing songs to his fans; if the people in the rafters aren't singing along, he's not going to do it. And then you create a cycle where your fans piss off because you blatantly told them gigs weren't for them, and less and less people who do show up know any of the songs.

This is all self inflicted.

And, of course, the irony is that the fans who are there mainly to hear the singles are likely the fickle ones who may or may not care to see them again. The people begging for rarities are the diehard fans who own all their albums and see every tour. I'm certainly passing on this tour unless I see something pretty spectacular in the early sets that might prompt me to drive 6 hours each way for a show.

I imagine that you're pretty busted up that those 5 concerts included over 160 songs during 15 hours of live performance even though they kept forgetting to play their biggest single. Probably no prerecorded playback or lasers either. So lame of them.

Yeah, I have to cry myself to sleep every night pretty much lol. I think Muse might have taken too many pages out of Depeche Mode's playbook when they opened for them however many years ago because their shows are almost exactly the same way, nothing but singles or new songs.

Tour kinda excites me as this is the first one I've seen that isn't in support of product. It's been two years since Drones so setlist potential is wide open. I honestly don't know what to expect and plan on keeping it that way; come May I will go into shutdown mode and hope to block any and all news of setlists, stage set-ups, potential new songs and just sit back and enjoy what they bring to the table without any preconceived knowledge or expectations.

Tour kinda excites me as this is the first one I've seen that isn't in support of product. It's been two years since Drones so setlist potential is wide open. I honestly don't know what to expect and plan on keeping it that way; come May I will go into shutdown mode and hope to block any and all news of setlists, stage set-ups, potential new songs and just sit back and enjoy what they bring to the table without any preconceived knowledge or expectations.

I don't like being a debbie downer when it comes to other people's experiences but I genuinely think you're only gonna be disappointed if you build it up like that...

Yeah I wouldn't be expecting any new songs, but if I manage to get a ticket to the Tampa show which I believe is the 2nd show of of the tour I'm gonna make a strong effort to not look at the set list the night before, which would be a first for me lol but I'd rather be surprised with a shit setlist than know it's coming at this point lol

Good on yer. :)