...fully expected a singles fest with Uprising and Resistance in the same set list

Not only that. You'll be getting Starlight, SMBH, Hysteria, TIRO, Knights, Undisclosed Desires, Madness, Dead Inside, Mercy. And probably Citizen Erased/Dead Star/Bliss/Map just often enough to piss off all the people that don't get those songs.

If you're really lucky they'll keep Drill Sargeant, Isolated System, Prelude, JFK and Dronezzz x 2 in the set.

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel

Not only that. You'll be getting Starlight, SMBH, Hysteria, TIRO, Knights, Undisclosed Desires, Madness, Dead Inside, Mercy. And probably Citizen Erased/Dead Star/Bliss/Map just often enough to piss off all the people that don't get those songs.

If you're really lucky they'll keep Drill Sargeant, Isolated System, Prelude, JFK and Dronezzz x 2 in the set.

At least you still get the singles...the last 30STM show I saw in 2014 was the direct equivalent of Muse playing a 14 song set (with Drill Sergeant and Drones counting as two of those songs)...then the entire set being songs from Drones or T2L except for an acoustic set where Matt asks the crowd what they want to hear, before playing Feeling Good and Guiding Light.

I have been as infuriated as anyone by some of Muse's set lists in recent years, but it could actually be worse.

I'm really a bit depressed that Muse is playing the venue that I'd always dreamed of going to (Red Rocks) when I no longer would pay that much to see them, or travel to see them. (And if I'm being honest, am too incapacitated to travel or go to that style of gig...)

Is Red Rocks effectively all tiered seats cut into the side of the cliff?

I'm guessing it'd be a weird place to try to mosh.

At least you still get the singles...the last 30STM show I saw in 2014 was the direct equivalent of Muse playing a 14 song set (with Drill Sergeant and Drones counting as two of those songs)...then the entire set being songs from Drones or T2L except for an acoustic set where Matt asks the crowd what they want to hear, before playing Feeling Good and Guiding Light.

I have been as infuriated as anyone by some of Muse's set lists in recent years, but it could actually be worse.

Are we presuming it'd be the same again for this tour?

It doesn't really specifically say that anywhere, but it is a unique code that could very easily be linked to each account. It also says there's a 4 ticket limit but does not mention if that can be broken up through multiple shows/orders. Not a lot of info.

FYI, I bought 4 tix, broken down into 2 purchases of 2.

We should all join forces and tweet Matt and try and get him to promise atleast 1 rarity per set on this tour lol, see if we can get a response from it, hell I'll take pretty much anything that wasn't a single from the past 3 albums and consider it a rarity at this point

I tried something similar for Europe last year and it did not work :chuckle:

(if there's one thing we should pool our efforts for it's a certain album in full)

Well I guess that would have to be Origin then lol, and Plug in Baby should not count as a rarity but that's where we're at right now With the US setlists lol

We should all join forces and tweet Matt and try and get him to promise atleast 1 rarity per set on this tour lol, see if we can get a response from it, hell I'll take pretty much anything that wasn't a single from the past 3 albums and consider it a rarity at this point

I think this is a great idea.

Many, many years ago, in the dawn of internet age, Rolling Stones were holding online voting to sing one fans' choice song per location.

With current social media capabilities, MUSE could do even better:

- voting during the concert, to play the closing song!

or

- the day before each gig, to play the opening song.

Think I'm going to promote this idea!

Edited by muse_ac

already talking about setlists, eh?

let's hope that the minimal set production (let's face it -- they're more than likely going to be using their festival set for the entire tour...whatever that looks like this time around) will lend to more freedom in the setlists. the production on the drones tour pigeonholed them into setlists that were, in the end, rather formulaic.

hope.

meh, on second thought, it's gonna be a largely garbage, single-filled, 75-minute (max) setlist that's aimed to please the american masses, no?

I think this is a great idea.

Many, many years ago, in the dawn of internet age, Rolling Stones were holding online voting to sing one fans' choice song per location.

With current social media capabilities, MUSE could do even better:

- voting during the concert, to play the closing song!

or

- the day before each gig, to play the opening song.

Think I'm going to promote this idea!

They already did it towards the end of their touring in 2016 and back in 2010, to varying degrees of success. They're fully aware of the 'idea' of having fans vote for stuff, they just don't really...do it.

already talking about setlists, eh?

let's hope that the minimal set production (let's face it -- they're more than likely going to be using their festival set for the entire tour...whatever that looks like this time around) will lend to more freedom in the setlists. the production on the drones tour pigeonholed them into setlists that were, in the end, rather formulaic.

hope.

meh, on second thought, it's gonna be a largely garbage, single-filled, 75-minute (max) setlist that's aimed to please the american masses, no?

Yeah, nah, production was nowt to do with it. They proved that when they did play stuff like Butterflies, Bliss, CE, Sunburn and Assassin. It was really just a case of whether they could be arsed on any given night.

In answer to that last bit though - yes (and I'm pretty optimistic for a Muse fan).

Yep, for some reason it seems like these days they treat every headline gig in the US as if it's a festival filled with a whole new audience they need to win over , when in reality the crowd is probably over half of people who have been coming to see them every show in their area for the past 5-10 + years

Edit: I mean seriously, wtf do they think is the worst thing that could happen, They bust out Newborn or Fury at a show and a new fan goes "WTF THIS ISNT SMBH?!!!?" And leaves ?

Edited by yoyonco10

The production has never and will never dictate anything about the setlists. Of course they would prefer to play songs with visuals, but not only are they able to do "generic lighting", they seem to be able to do it on the fly.

Expect things to get worse with the "augmented reality" stage while continuing to keep 10 of the usual staples.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Watch out or we'll get We Are the Universe into Starlight or something equally dire. :LOL:

Yep, for some reason it seems like these days they treat every headline gig in the US as if it's a festival filled with a whole new audience they need to win over , when in reality the crowd is probably over half of people who have been coming to see them every show in their area for the past 5-10 + years

Edit: I mean seriously, wtf do they think is the worst thing that could happen, They bust out Newborn or Fury at a show and a new fan goes "WTF THIS ISNT SMBH?!!!?" And leaves ?

I think it's more that they judge what they 'should' play on whatever the biggest reactions, both with cheers and jumping around and stuff. Resistance, Madness, Knights, TIRO and Supermassive get big reactions but Fury doesn't so they assume it's not worth playing or that people don't wanna hear it. It's not just with rarities either when you look at what happened to Reapers.

It's not so much assuming that everyone there is a new fan, it's more that these are just the songs they think most people wanna hear. I can understand it, must be easy to perceive things like that when you're the one on-stage, Matt just goes a little overboard with it by playing hardly any songs (if any) for the people he knows appreciate those deeper cuts and waiting for smaller shows where they make up a bigger % of the crowd.

As for New Born specifically, I'm pretty sure Matt just personally hates it at this point.

I think it's more that they judge what they 'should' play on whatever the biggest reactions, both with cheers and jumping around and stuff. Resistance, Madness, Knights, TIRO and Supermassive get big reactions but Fury doesn't so they assume it's not worth playing or that people don't wanna hear it. It's not just with rarities either when you look at what happened to Reapers.

It's not so much assuming that everyone there is a new fan, it's more that these are just the songs they think most people wanna hear. I can understand it, must be easy to perceive things like that when you're the one on-stage, Matt just goes a little overboard with it by playing hardly any songs (if any) for the people he knows appreciate those deeper cuts and waiting for smaller shows where they make up a bigger % of the crowd.

As for New Born specifically, I'm pretty sure Matt just personally hates it at this point.

shame if he really does hate New Born, the chorus alone is one of their best. But yeah, at the Philly show Resistance did get one of the bigger reactions/sing alongs of the night and I was just like DONT ENCOURAGE THEM

Also got a bad feeling that Reading/Leeds really is the only thing they're doing in Europe this year. Just looked at the line-up on the site and Muse are the only exclusive act that aren't specified as being festival-exclusive only.

shame if he really does hate New Born, the chorus alone is one of their best.

I think a lot of people had suspected it for a while, ever since he started dropping the piano for it back on the TR Tour. There was a fan video last year where someone requested it outside a venue and Matt's reaction was effectively "fuck no, anything else pls" though, so that pretty much confirmed it :chuckle:

Shame, was fucking immense at Download, but maybe cameo appearances like that are actually better for it if that's how Matt feels.