Also, maybe retract what I said before about L/R genuinely being their only gigs in Europe 'cause Kasabian are also listed as UK festival exclusives when they're playing Trnsmt in Scotland.

That's odd. Maybe the festival organisers are just really keen on Scottish independence and already consider Scotland separate :chuckle:

Yeah I wouldn't be expecting any new songs, but if I manage to get a ticket to the Tampa show which I believe is the 2nd show of of the tour I'm gonna make a strong effort to not look at the set list the night before, which would be a first for me lol but I'd rather be surprised with a shit setlist than know it's coming at this point lol

The first couple of gigs usually get something like CE or Bliss, at least, before Matt gets mad and stops playing them. Happened last tour, as well.

I don't think we should expect that this isn't a "Drones Tour." Matt said he wanted to come back this year after the 360 was way too short, so it's likely just an extension of that tour.

(Also, shocked that Matt wasn't just spouting bs about coming back at that last gig!)

I've said to death that all Muse needed to do was throw some surprises in the setlist... a Fury, Assassin or HM or something... and the fans would have kept coming just for that.

Saw a different band at First Ave a short while ago. I'm familiar with all their stuff since 2003, and there were three songs I didn't recognize. The front part of the crowd just lost their minds.

Saw a song from their previous album's live debut, and some stuff that hadn't been played since 2010 and 2007.

Looked at the other setlists, and HO-LY-FUCK they're all different, full of rarities, old shit, and the hidden track off an album from like 10 years ago.

Only 18/19 songs, and they still manage to bring out all the big hits, too.

Probably not a coincidence that it was THE roughest crowd I'd seen at a US gig in decades, and I'm really damn glad I was upstairs for it.

Saw a different band at First Ave a short while ago. I'm familiar with all their stuff since 2003, and there were three songs I didn't recognize. The front part of the crowd just lost their minds.

Saw a song from their previous album's live debut, and some stuff that hadn't been played since 2010 and 2007.

Looked at the other setlists, and HO-LY-FUCK they're all different, full of rarities, old shit, and the hidden track off an album from like 10 years ago.

Only 18/19 songs, and they still manage to bring out all the big hits, too.

Probably not a coincidence that it was THE roughest crowd I'd seen at a US gig in decades, and I'm really damn glad I was upstairs for it.

Is that AFI by any chance? I've been following their recent setlists and your description seems pretty spot on for what they've been doing. They're a bit of a weird case though as from what I can see they're hardly playing anything from their new album (which came out last month.) I can't see Muse doing anything like that, although all it would take is adding 2/3 songs to the set and you could fit in all that old stuff and a decent amount from the newest album.

Is that AFI by any chance? I've been following their recent setlists and your description seems pretty spot on for what they've been doing. They're a bit of a weird case though as from what I can see they're hardly playing anything from their new album (which came out last month.) I can't see Muse doing anything like that, although all it would take is adding 2/3 songs to the set and you could fit in all that old stuff and a decent amount from the newest album.

It totally was! :LOL:

It's my boyfriend's favorite band, and we've been seeing their gigs since we started dating.

I'm not at all into the old punk stuff, but he loves it. I'm constantly surprised how many of their old fans stuck around with what a huge change the band seems to have made.

They didn't do a ton of songs off their last album during that tour, either, which is a little weird. I saw 2 from Burials on that tour, and 5 from it this tour. :chuckle:

I also don't know if that's terribly uncommon, either, as thinking back a lot of bands only play a couple new ones outside of any singles. I think it's more weird to play nearly the whole damn album like Muse does (and then never carry any of them over to the next tour unless there's a hit single.)

I would say my last 5 non-Muse gigs were quite scant for new album material, including a relatively big band like Breaking Benjamin who only did like 3-4 new ones in a 20 song set. Unless the band is fairly new, of course.

The other thing I have to say about AFI is that they really fucking give it their all.

And they had the same energy at a gig where they were the first of two openers that they do on their headliners.

And I suspect they were doing ACTUAL encores... Like, the crowd needs to actually cheer and carry on for a 2nd encore, and then they get some old ass song that wasn't on the setlist.

That's odd. Maybe the festival organisers are just really keen on Scottish independence and already consider Scotland separate :chuckle:

I thought the same. Had to check Scotland was still in the UK and I wasn't going mental and/or being dumb :chuckle:

So yeah, hopefully that means there's a chance of something before June (which is when I'd assume it'd have to be). I want it nowwwww thoughhhhh. If only they actually communicated on twitter, I'd try asking.

So if I was to wait in line all day and was one of the first people in, would I still not even get in the first couple rows of people?

That depends on a lot of variables, but you might not be on the rail, no. Factoring in that not all VIP purchasers are getting GA pit, not all VIP is early access (only the top level), and most venues on this tour have very small pit sections, compared to basketball/hockey arenas they typically play.

A lot of the pits are really, really small, and we unfortunately don't know how many pit VIP tickets were sold with early access.

The amount of center seats reserved for VIP was astounding, so I don't have a good feeling about those GA numbers being low.

I guess the good news is, for those small pits, it'll all be pretty good views.

wth is up with the "Starlight" package anyways? You get a poster? No early entry, no silly museum... so basically they just wanted to charge double for the good seats and not make them part of the presale?

A lot of the pits are really, really small, and we unfortunately don't know how many pit VIP tickets were sold with early access.

The amount of center seats reserved for VIP was astounding, so I don't have a good feeling about those GA numbers being low.

I guess the good news is, for those small pits, it'll all be pretty good views.

wth is up with the "Starlight" package anyways? You get a poster? No early entry, no silly museum... so basically they just wanted to charge double for the good seats and not make them part of the presale?

It was only a matter of time before Muse agreed to sell these cheesy fucking "VIP Packages"!

I know blink-182's UK tour has 3 separate levels of VIP hospitality including Meet and Greet and even paid Dressing Room access.

The whole M&G thing is weird enough without those sycophantic things too. And also yeah, that "Starlight" package is a much more half-arsed version compared with the bigger package.

Also, maybe retract what I said before about L/R genuinely being their only gigs in Europe 'cause Kasabian are also listed as UK festival exclusives when they're playing Trnsmt in Scotland.

Just as an aside I hate the name Trnsmt. Sounds so shite.

My thoughts of there being Euro shows that aren't Reading/Leeds are receding tbf. I'd like a smaller date - partly as an antidote to the Drones 360 spectacular, but also as I'd get a nice symmetry of 3 club, 3 arena and 3 outdoor gigs in my "seen Muse" list - but my thought is still that its not happening. Saying that I wasn't convinced Psycho Tour would happen until I came home 3 hours after the announcement, so... meh.

Didn't Matt say some announcement was coming soon for the band's 2017 plans when Reading was announced in December?

Edited by forevermusic

Tour kinda excites me as this is the first one I've seen that isn't in support of product. It's been two years since Drones so setlist potential is wide open. I honestly don't know what to expect and plan on keeping it that way; come May I will go into shutdown mode and hope to block any and all news of setlists, stage set-ups, potential new songs and just sit back and enjoy what they bring to the table without any preconceived knowledge or expectations.

Same thing that I thought 6 years ago when I saw Muse play in Indianapolis the summer following the Resistance Tour. It was something of a one-off headlining gig before they played Lolla that year. Otherwise, it was similar to this tour...outdoor amphitheatre, couple of opening acts (Cage the Elephant was one of them), no new album to support. I was hoping that they would play a nice variety without any constraints that they place on a proper album-supporting tour. Here's what we got for a set list...

Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 1: Overture

Uprising

Map of the Problematique (Who Knows Who riff)

Supermassive Black Hole (Kaoss Jam intro)

Butterflies & Hurricanes

Guiding Light

Interlude/Hysteria (Back in Black outro)

Nishe (piano)

United States of Eurasia

Helsinki Jam

Undisclosed Desires

Resistance

Starlight

Time Is Running Out (Jimmy Jam + Power of Soul riff)

Stockholm Syndrome (Township Rebellion outro + Endless Nameless riff)

Encore:

Plug In Baby

Knights of Cydonia (Man with a Harmonica intro)

Really nothing but a shortened version of their Resistance Tour set list. Only 15 songs if you're not counting Interlude, Nishe and the Helsinki Jam. All I can say is, thank God for B&H and Stockholm Syndrome.

I don't expect much different for this summer's tour, probably just a Drones Tour set list with Reapers and Globalist chopped out.

I was just using it as an example, of course. Personally, I thought The Globalist was a bit of a bore on the Drones tour. It seemed like a lot of the audience talked through the quiet opening third and seemed mostly disinterested throughout. And that was with the elaborate visuals that accompanied the song. I'm not sure how it would play out with a more basic presentation. In my opinion, it would be a snoozer. If they wanted to hack 10 minutes off the set, I'd prefer that it be TG instead of 2-3 other potential songs.

On the other hand, if they omit all the prerecorded material, they could easily play the entire Drones set in 90 minutes or less.

I thought the opening part was a bit boring live, but the rest of the song surprisingly worked and had a fair amount of audience engagement. Even if I was hoping for a more raucous crowd during the middle bit... meh. Although it may have helped some people's attention span that the fake Reaper drone nearly crashed into Matt and the piano.

Oddly I think it was the best song of the Glastonbury set, but I can imagine at a festival that its even more of a slow drag.

It totally was! :LOL:

It's my boyfriend's favorite band, and we've been seeing their gigs since we started dating.

I'm not at all into the old punk stuff, but he loves it. I'm constantly surprised how many of their old fans stuck around with what a huge change the band seems to have made.

They didn't do a ton of songs off their last album during that tour, either, which is a little weird. I saw 2 from Burials on that tour, and 5 from it this tour. :chuckle:

I also don't know if that's terribly uncommon, either, as thinking back a lot of bands only play a couple new ones outside of any singles. I think it's more weird to play nearly the whole damn album like Muse does (and then never carry any of them over to the next tour unless there's a hit single.)

I would say my last 5 non-Muse gigs were quite scant for new album material, including a relatively big band like Breaking Benjamin who only did like 3-4 new ones in a 20 song set. Unless the band is fairly new, of course.

The other thing I have to say about AFI is that they really fucking give it their all.

And they had the same energy at a gig where they were the first of two openers that they do on their headliners.

And I suspect they were doing ACTUAL encores... Like, the crowd needs to actually cheer and carry on for a 2nd encore, and then they get some old ass song that wasn't on the setlist.

Haha nice to see another AFI fan (hence my signature). I saw them a few days ago in Philly and I have this horrible habit of checking the setlist every night but AFI this tour has been full of surprises. It was really great going to a show and there be a genuine change up between sets, which built up the excitement. I wish Muse was like that...which if I had to compare bands with the do's and dont's of tours it'd be those two.

E;11694999']Haha nice to see another AFI fan (hence my signature). I saw them a few days ago in Philly and I have this horrible habit of checking the setlist every night but AFI this tour has been full of surprises. It was really great going to a show and there be a genuine change up between sets' date=' which built up the excitement. I wish Muse was like that...which if I had to compare bands with the do's and dont's of tours it'd be those two.[/quote']

Philly had an absolutely phenomenal setlist! Paper Airplanes?!?

Really would have loved to see End Transmission again, too

There's been a song (or three) at every gig I've been sad that I didn't see, but I can't complain about the setlist I got, either. It also bizarrely started with Miss Murder, and you could hear the fans groaning. :chuckle: Certainly one of those tours I would have loved to see multiple shows, if I was in the position, for the crazy variety. (Or at least until I got This Time Imperfect...)

Complete opposite of Muse where you feel like you're going to multiple gigs just to get a slight possibility of one rare (for the US) song, and it happens only a few times a tour.

AFI's gigs are just crammed with old stuff and deep cuts. I didn't mind not seeing too many new ones at all.

The other thing that really struck me about the gig was how quickly they moved from song to song. Really great job of keeping the energy up. And compared to the looooooong pointless stretches in between songs on Muse's set.

Nope, the VIP thing's never involved a meet-and-greet tmk. Wouldn't advise supporting it either since it's a pretty shitty system towards fans, but it's your money.

I know there's a blatant bias and all but Europe can get shite sets, too.

Their last two gigs in Oslo have seen stuff like Resistance, Guiding Light and UD. So they probably have seen some naff songs and just didn't mind them.

I agree with you completely, but I think it would have been somewhat worth it if it included a meeting at least. What they are currently offering is not at all interesting to me, so I won't be supporting it in any case.

We have indeed seen those songs, but we also got Knights Of Cydonia, Plug In Baby and Take A Bow at the last one. I don't check setlists, so I don't know if all of those were in there or if it was a spur of the moment thing.

We have indeed seen those songs, but we also got Knights Of Cydonia, Plug In Baby and Take A Bow at the last one. I don't check setlists, so I don't know if all of those were in there or if it was a spur of the moment thing.

Knights and PIB are fairly regular dw :chuckle:

TAB was more 50/50 in Europe.