Muse's political songs are just horrid lyrically and thematically, they sound and read like the musings of a 14-year-old who's just discovered 'the news'.

Take A Bow is one of the few exceptions, but then there are lyrics like Uprising :vomit:.

I always liked those lyrics and found extremely rousing... "They will not force/control/degrade us" etc

Muse's political songs are just horrid lyrically and thematically, they sound and read like the musings of a 14-year-old who's just discovered 'the news'.

This is true (and agree about TAB)

Still, it'd be good to see Trump's face in an adapted Drill Sergeant video, while Muse sing Psycho. The lyrics are perfect for him, crass as they are.

Nope, first time. It looks really good. But they have to use Mamamamamadness, of course. Imagine that with Assassin or the Globalist.

Assassin doesn't have a chance in hell of being on whatever is released, but Globalist would have been a much better representation of why the gigs were visually impressive... there was literally nothing going on during Madness.

Made me wonder what that clip was a submission for.

And I still have a hard time viewing The Globalist as anything other than a relationship song. It's not terribly political outside of the title.

I watched the USTour section of the Rome DVD today. I miss Follow Me. I miss that stupid barrier walk. I miss the not Drones Era. :(

I am trying to stay away from the hype about this "project" but I have to admit the thought of leaving this wreck of a tour and album cycle behind, and moving on to something else excites me.

I watched the USTour section of the Rome DVD today. I miss Follow Me. I miss that stupid barrier walk. I miss the not Drones Era. :(

I am trying to stay away from the hype about this "project" but I have to admit the thought of leaving this wreck of a tour and album cycle behind, and moving on to something else excites me.

I actually have to agree, after the Drones tour/era was over I found myself realizing that I think the T2L was a better album and era in general... Supremacy > 3/4ths of Drones

I actually have to agree, after the Drones tour/era was over I found myself realizing that I think the T2L was a better album and era in general... Supremacy > 3/4ths of Drones

Funny how Supremacy was panned here because people wanted "olderz stuff" and now is a cool track.

And the tour maybe was better during the T2L cycle, but overall "Drones" is a superior album imo. I like a lot of tracks from T2L, Supremacy and Isolated System being probably my favourites, but the fact that T2L has Madness and Big Freeze is a serious flaw.

Funny how Supremacy was panned here because people wanted "olderz stuff" and now is a cool track.
You really are so very, very off whenever you try to make a point.

Supremacy was adored by most of the board when it was released, mostly because it was a return to the heavy riffs and most importantly, high falsetto singing. It wasn't until years later, when the album had settled in that some people started to grow a bit bored of the song, and said that it might have been better off with a rougher production for example. Never did I read a single comment about how it wasn't enough like the older stuff.

Then when Muse began talking about going back to their roots, people obviously got hyped, and they wanted a change from the usual "2 good heavy songs per album" thing that Muse had had going for a while there. (Which ironically was just what we got with Drones too judging from the polls)

And now ONE person implies that Supremacy is a good song, and you try to make it into a comment about the board. Get lost.

T2L was a better album... Supremacy > 3/4ths of Drones

:stunned:

I'm in a super weird position where I fully recognise that big chunks of the tour were some of the worst we've ever seen but, at the same time, I can't help but reflect on the era as a whole fondly because of how amazing my experience of it's been. Solid album (miles better than the last two imo), Manchester Academy, Download, London 12th + 14th, flying over to Paris, meeting the band, requesting Assassin...I almost don't want it to be over tbh :chuckle:

and it isn't over yet, right Muse? :ninja:

:stunned:

I'm in a super weird position where I fully recognise that big chunks of the tour were some of the worst we've ever seen but, at the same time, I can't help but reflect on the era as a whole fondly because of how amazing my experience of it's been. Solid album (miles better than the last two imo), Manchester Academy, Download, London 12th + 14th, flying over to Paris, meeting the band, requesting Assassin...I almost don't want it to be over tbh :chuckle:

and it isn't over yet, right Muse? :ninja:

Overall tour experience for me personally was way better than T2L, even if I prefer T2L as an album.

Not counting the Psycho tour, for me, this was the worst tour yet for me. Across six shows, two rotations every night with the rotations being repeated every three nights so I saw 3 slightly different setlists twice. Reapers was cut for a gig or two, Bliss was on the setlist, blacked out with a marker with Plug In Baby being the replacement (got it every single show). Citizen showed up at the beginning of the tour in Dallas, in Seattle and at the very end 15-20 gigs later in DC. Vegas was rescheduled, same for San Diego (during the worst storm there has been since the 1980s) and the only "special thing" we got was Map of the Problematique, which isn't special since Vegas has gotten it at every major gig in Vegas for each respective tour since 2007... And that's without mentioning the stupid GA VIP early entrance procedure that ONLY happened here.

Going in, I was beyond hyped since i loved every track on the album versus The Resistance/T2L's three or four tracks. Strange how in retrospect, those albums got significantly better setlists and I'm not even one of the people that got 16 songs. If Reapers were guaranteed every night, UD was dropped in favour or something better like Take a Bow, Stockholm/Map were in rotation from the start people would have been a lot happier.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Supremacy was adored by most of the board when it was released, mostly because it was a return to the heavy riffs and most importantly, high falsetto singing. It wasn't until years later, when the album had settled in that some people started to grow a bit bored of the song

I don't even think Supremacy had that. People were bored with it after decent audio came out of the Cologne E-werk gig where it debuted and they realised it's a really boring live song. Then they got hyped up seeing it open in Montpelier and then went back to being bored with it.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

As far as I can recall, there was a "leak" of Supremacy based on a string sample someone posted on social media that follows the tom parts before the slower verses that a fan put together, and I think that was more liked on here. I like Supremacy - the intro riff on T2L sounds great, and I thought it sounded good on all 3 times I saw it, even if Matt's guitar broke during that one at Shepherd's Bush. But its not one of the best ever live tunes ever.

I still feel Drones is probably their best album, or the one I've enjoyed the most, since Abso, but it's impossible for me to view it as anything other than cheap fan service now, in a way. (Maybe a failed attempt at such would be more accurate.)

I remember worrying when I read that "I tried to get back in the mindset of OoS" in that German Ticketmaster article, but dismissing it. And now I'm back full circle to feeling that way. From the T2L era "the next album will sound like Agitated/YP" and "BH and SS aren't on the DVD because that's what the next album will be like" to "going back to our roots" "this album sounds kind of like Abso" "there's a CE sequel" and even the early, non-arena tour stops all were so calculated towards winning back their older fan base. The IG teaser of the "Psycho riff" being a huge example.

Then we get a tour that drops or ignores some of the "heavier" tracks that people gravitated towards on the new album, ignores all those examples they used of what the new/old direction was in the setlists (SS being most glaring,) three pop singles in a row, and a tour full of the band cutting back that older material in a more severe way than ever before, and ultimately telling those fans that they really don't matter at all when it comes to the gigs.

So, it's kind of hard for me to not look at Drones in a different light after all that.

And wonder if the band has any concern for artistic integrity left at all, or if they're just concerned about finding a way to actually fly during gigs and cashing the check.

I don't even think Supremacy had that. People were bored with it after decent audio came out of the Cologne E-werk gig where it debuted and they realised it's a really boring live song. Then they got hyped up seeing it open in Montpelier and then went back to being bored with it.

Not sure who you are referring to when you say "people", but the people in this thread were incredibly positive long after a good quality audio was released: http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=87660

In fact, I don't think it's ever been a general consensus among "people" that Supremacy is a "really boring live song".