In some ways BH&R is my favourite.

Black Holes and Origin i can listen to the whole way through no matter my mood which i can't do with the other albums unless in a particular mood but Origin just tips it because of the amazingness of all the songs just ugh Micro Cuts, Megalomania, Citizen Erased, Screenager, New Born, Dark Shines someone stop me before i jizz my pants

I'm always vaguely surprised by how good the mid-section of BH&R is.

Wut?

The mid-section of BH&R is absolutely horrible. Soldier's Poem, Invincible, Assassin and Exo-Politics are all absolutely shite.

I think BH&R has the lowest ratio of overall tracks to tracks I really like of any Muse album - it's only really worth it for Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique and City Of Delusion for me.

That said, they are three of Muse's absolute all-time top songs, all top 10 for me.

The guitars are weak as hell, the production is very muddy and obvs, it lacks the GOB bits.

Plus, I love the urgency the whammy bits add. Assassin plods along at best on the album.

Aren't the guitars exactly the same of the GOB edit, just without the whammy?

Assassin should never have gotten barbershop quartet vocals.

But they sound good :c

Thank you Fabri.

I was also terrified of Micro Cuts after having heard it in a trailer for Pelts, which was not a pleasant experience. But then I saw Hullabaloo and goddaaaamn. It became my favourite song after that.

Reminds me of my first experience of Reptile by NIN. I listened to it for the first time on earphones in a tent, in the middle of the night.

Assassin is good as a lean, short rocker, but Debase and GOB are much better. It was a really odd choice to cut it down so much. No problem with the vocals, but it would really benefit from a going over to make the instruments a bit "sharper" and less muddy.

Assassin should never have gotten barbershop quartet vocals.

That's one of my favourite things about the song :supersad:

I dunno which I'd prefer out of Debase or GOB (without whammy). The more sinister feel of Debase would've worked better on the album but the sheer beef of normal Assassin live would be too good to pass up.