Not sure if this is controversial, but it's weird for sure:

I would kill to get the slap tone Chris uses both in UD and Panic Station. Mmmmh, that warm, thicc bassy tone with just a hint of od on it is just soooo god damn awesome. The application sure could use some work but if they ever go back to slap songs for the love of god don't touch that tone.

The 80s is overrated, as is neon. 

In terms of its style, I really dislike the recent album artwork for ST and the merch designs. They just aren't wearable. I loved anything by Storm Thorgerson and I loved the Drones stuff because it had a similar feel. 

I love the individual graphics they made for the songs from ST, but seriously so fed up of this 80s neon aesthetic everywhere you look. I get the retro feel but it doesn’t all have to look the same. IMO 

Edited by ntp_ncl

The Resistance stadium outdoor shows were all bloody fantastic, as was the stage for the festival run. Simple, effective and didn't hold back the band from mixing up the sets.

Watched of a multi-cam of the second Wembley night 2010 last night (with the rotations from night 1 included) and it brought back so many great memories, by far the best 'standard' performance I've ever seen them give. Of course, Leeds 2011/Psycho tour/SBE were special occasions but they really were on fire that night. MK Ultra, Map and my first performance of Bliss all back to back, Matt's People of the Sun into and the outro tapping in Hysteria, the Glasto '04 riff in CE and RBS (my all-time fav) completely out of the blue...they were brilliant that weekend but seemed more loose than on the first night. Top 5 Muse gig, maybe even top 3.

And yet, for all the controversy at the time, looking back...the first night's set was also no slouch. 

• 2 weeks later...

I never had an issue with it as a song, or even as a closer. I have fond memories of how epic it felt in The Resistance Tour. It's just become predictable. Even more so when they can do other closers or at least mix up how they perform Knights.

I've seen several others with the same stance.

Aye, I think it’s by far one of if not the easiest thing to get jaded by with live Muse since it’s always exactly the same, always in the exact same spot and it’s so long. I’ve never thought it was bad at all but you grow to resent it quickly.

BUT this last stretch of gigs has started to make me accept it a bit more. MWAH is an incredible piece and it’s hard not to be impressed when they crank the volume up for that last 10 mins. Knights is a great song too tbf, it probably deserves the status it has. Just need to let go that maybe we ain’t getting Bliss closing again at this point :chuckle: (and maybe that only really works in a sweaty theatre/club anyway)

As much as I would like to see them throw in Stockholm here and there to close I can accept Knights as the staple ending. The buildup to the riffage at the end is always an exciting time to be in the crowd and let out all your remaining energy.

It's just sad it went through more changes, both in its intro but also its style, from 2006-2008 than from 2008-now.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s official; Dead Inside has become my favourite Muse song. Honestly, this song has grown on me ever single day since I first heard it in Brighton on the Psycho tour. It is, for me, Muse’s best distillation of the perfect crossover electro-pop song they’ve tried so hard to achieve (with some success it must be said - I really don’t mind UD or Madness at all, studio far more than live). But DI is just pure perfection, and features not only one of Matt’s best vocal performances, but some of his very best lyrics.

• 2 months later...

I think that’s more the general consensus than controversial 😂

I haven’t watched any fan vids tbf, saw enough actual gigs, but I kinda know what you mean. It wasn’t easy having a couple or few in a row that felt exactly the same. There were a few that stood out though, Manchester in particular. Matt seemed to be having a lot of fun there to me.