Do you not like The Resistance?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Do you not like The Resistance?

Why though? Isn't that just talking from a commercial perspective. And the fact that they've thrown caution to the wind with this album doesn't seem to have done them any harm.

BTW I've cut out a lot of my post. It's still enthusiastic, particularly because I've just been listening to the album, but it probably is stuff I've said before.

I'm saying Muse are choosing to write songs within a genre, not that I want them to!

I don't think they've thrown caution to the wind, there's little that's actually interesting on it or pushing boundaries. They've just had a good giggle.

Edit - Before anyone mentions IBTY and the opera section, one song doesn't proof anything, I once smoked a cigarette, doesn't make me a smoker.

Its pretty good. I wish there were more heavy songs, mostly because I like the heavier songs live more, but what we got wasn't bad.

Uprising- very catchy, gets stuck in my head easy. not one of their best songs or anything, but its not bad

Resistance- I personally have always really liked this one even if it is a bit cheesy

Undisclosed Desires- Honestly, I don't care for it very much, but its not awful

USoE- Great great song. Love it

Guiding Light- Not good at all.

Unnatural Selection- Another great song

MK Ultra- Another great song

IBTY- Hate it

Exo- Beautiful and amazing.

Exogenesis Symphony and USoE are great songs. I'd call MK Ultra, Unnatural Selections (Though US is a beast live), and Resistance good songs, and Uprising a pretty good song. Undisclosed Desires is meh. IBTY and Guiding Light are bad. 8/11 good to great songs, not bad.

My overly long summary of what I think of the tracks.

Uprising is a great, if a little repetitive, catchy track that works well as a first single, with a simple, yet driving bassline.

Resistance I am a little disenchanted with at the moment. I don't like the pre-chorus very much - it destroys the atmosphere that was building until that point, and parts of the song are cheesy. I don't dislike it as such, but I find when I order the songs in my preference, Resistance is always near the bottom.

Undisclosed Desires, even though I overplayed it, is surprisingly good track. The way the choruses slowly build up, until the haunting backing vocals in the last chorus is brilliant. A whole album of this, though? No thanks. If you are going to push the experimentation in this genre further, Matt, I'd prefer you stick to one or two tracks.

United States of Eurasia is the second best track on this album after Overture. It made me cringe horribly at first (the SIA bits really annoyed me :LOL:), but then it grew on me immensely and I think it is up there with nearly all of Muse's best work. :happy:

Guiding Light... :indiff: At first, I was pleasantly surprised. I'd been hearing that it was a weak track, and I thought the way the song started was actually pretty good. But after a few listens I began to notice the over-the-top synths at the start of the song, and the general cheesiness for the first few minutes. Now I'm not a fan. It mellows out the mood a little too much for my liking, too. The last minute, when Matt stops singing in such an ott way, and sings in falsetto, is nice.

Unnatural Selection. This was initially my favourite song on the album, but I don't like it as much now. I just don't think it stands up to their other heavier tracks, even though it is probably great live, and the riff is a tad too similar to Newborn for my liking. Still a great track though.

MK Ultra. My opinion keeps changing on this one, but I'm back into it at the moment, for the first time in ages. At the moment, I think it's one of the highlights of the album.

I Belong to You. Naturally, I was more than a bit :wtf: on first listen, but it's actually quite an interesting track.

Overture: Four minutes of brilliance. This is the Muse I love. :happy:

Cross Pollination: I love the piano at the start, and the melody at the end as well, but I think, as the middle section of the symphony, that more could have been explored. It's a little too brief; they could have explored more musical ideas in this song. I would have liked more strings after Overture, too.

Redemption: A beautiful track, although it's a little to similar to a certain piano piece for my liking.

As we know resistance is anything that slow or stops movement or keeps movement from happening.For a space ship, resistance will counter the thrust of a rocket and keep the rocket from going as fast as it could. Once the ship is out of the Earth's atmosphere and gravitational pull, resistance will drop off considerably.So i never would like to live in resistance.

As we know resistance is anything that slow or stops movement or keeps movement from happening.For a space ship, resistance will counter the thrust of a rocket and keep the rocket from going as fast as it could. Once the ship is out of the Earth's atmosphere and gravitational pull, resistance will drop off considerably.So i never would like to live in resistance.

Is that so?

A space ship is a bad example as there isn't anything to resist a space ship in space and even when you get out of Earth's gravitional pull, there's the Sun's.

Plus the album is more about resisting oppression and shizz like that, not the resistance you are thinking about

I think that The Resistance is fine. Sure, it's not OoS or Abso, but we really couldn't expect it to be. It has hits and misses, just like every other Muse album does, and as every other Muse album from here on out will.

I'd say that the stars of TR are Exo, MKU, US, and USoE. To me, those are the songs that represent Muse in my mind: a bit of classical, with a progressive twist. That is not to say that I don't like the other songs on TR; Uprising is great, with UD, IBtY, and Resistance close behind. Guiding Light, while I don't hate it, is just WAY too cheesy for my tastes, and I'm a cheesy guy! :LOL:

The only elephant that's been in this room would be the people who can't admit that Muse are changing. They're experimenting.

Let them experiment. I want to see what they do.

Let them experiment. I want to see what they do.

Me too! Funny that you say that with the name Status Quo! :chuckle: It could also be said that The Resistance is from those who are resisting a change in Muse or from Muse who are resisting the pressure on them to stay the same! :D

I can understand why people argue against the change who favour rock, as Muse were initially predominantly rock but I'm lucky because I enjoy several different genres. Because of that I find it impossible to rate the albums against each other as all have their own individual qualities.

BTW on the make-up of the album, I've noticed a couple of people arguing that Guiding Light reduces the momentum. I can't quite understand that argument as it follows Collateral Damage. I think it actually builds momentum, then peeters off a bit towards the end, enabling the slow start to Unnatural Selection which then takes over more forcefully.

Yeah, the only people really disapointed in this album are those who wanted something heavier. I'm probably more disapointed with the more rock-based tracks than anything else on this album. Those being US and MK. I like the latter a lot actually, but it has been over-produced.

A space ship is a bad example as there isn't anything to resist a space ship in space and even when you get out of Earth's gravitional pull, there's the Sun's.

Actually, there are various particles in space to slow a space ship down.

Yeah, the only people really disapointed in this album are those who wanted something heavier. I'm probably more disapointed with the more rock-based tracks than anything else on this album. Those being US and MK. I like the latter a lot actually, but it has been over-produced.

What?

Hm, really?

People are forgetting that Muse like OoS and Showbiz least, and that they are most comfortable with BH&R and TR, as it's the music they want to produce.

What about Absolution? I would much prefer it to the two newest fucking albums.

Okay, seriously, I'm going to say it. THE HATE FOR GUIDING LIGHT NEEDS TO STOP. It is NOT a bad song. It's a lot better than half of the rest of this stupid cheesy album. I am going to get shot down for this, but I believe that, along with MK Ultra, US, and Exogenesis, GL is the only really good song on the album. I'm adamant on having the opinion that UD, USoE, Uprising, Resistance and IBTY and cheesy and stupid tracks.

Okay, maybe that was over the top. But don't shoot me! STOP THE FUCKING HATE FOR GUIDING LIGHT!

lolcats5.jpg

what about absolution? I would much prefer it to the two newest fucking albums.

Okay, seriously, i'm going to say it. The hate for guiding light needs to stop. It is not a bad song. It's a lot better than half of the rest of this stupid cheesy album. I am going to get shot down for this, but i believe that, along with mk ultra, us, and exogenesis, gl is the only really good song on the album. I'm adamant on having the opinion that ud, usoe, uprising, resistance and ibty and cheesy and stupid tracks.

Okay, maybe that was over the top. But don't shoot me! Stop the fucking hate for guiding light!

lolcats5.jpg

yeah! You all need to stop acting like you have opinions! Right now!

What about Absolution? I would much prefer it to the two newest fucking albums.

Okay, seriously, I'm going to say it. THE HATE FOR GUIDING LIGHT NEEDS TO STOP. It is NOT a bad song. It's a lot better than half of the rest of this stupid cheesy album. I am going to get shot down for this, but I believe that, along with MK Ultra, US, and Exogenesis, GL is the only really good song on the album. I'm adamant on having the opinion that UD, USoE, Uprising, Resistance and IBTY and cheesy and stupid tracks.

Okay, maybe that was over the top. But don't shoot me! STOP THE FUCKING HATE FOR GUIDING LIGHT!

lolcats5.jpg

GTFO

GL = As Shite as UD

Not quite as shite as prague

Archived