Do you not like The Resistance?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Do you not like The Resistance?

The thing is this is the real Muse. Muse in it's purest form. That is what the guys have said. If people don't like it then they don't like the real Muse unfortunately, they like Muse organised by someone else, curtailed into a commercial format. That saddens me but there will be plenty of other people who will be blown away by this record.

Personally I think it's fantastic!

I'm sorry but that's a really stupid thing to say. Muse don't seek to dismiss their longtime fans, that's what this implies. If anything, longtime fans are special to a band. But good bands pride themselves on being individual, creative and going their own way because that's what made them famous, so they're prepared to gain and lose fans.

This album IS more commercial than their first three, but the fact that they did it on their own proves they're not trying to be commercial, they're making a sound they enjoy, not a sound a producer thinks they should produce.

Guest QueenOfNerds

My boyfriend (yensid if anyone wants to send him messages of hate) thinks it is their worst album.

I am undecided on it's position in my fave albums.

The problem I have is I listen through and the next song after the album is finished is sunburn..... and I think oh god this is good :LOL:

But I appreciate it on a different level I think. Maybe it is a work of art more than a collection of songs I really like to rock out to.

its fuckin shit, end off, fair enough, unnatural selection is good, but uprising is fuckin boring, and undisclosed desires, resistance, guiding shite, and i belong to you are quite frankly the cherry on the fuckin top! i cant even comprimise with them songs, like with starlight i thought hmmm only one bad song its still ok though, but this is a fuckin new level, hope matt reads my angry comments becuase muse are just corperate westernised cunts now. FUCK YOU

its fuckin shit, end off, fair enough, unnatural selection is good, but uprising is fuckin boring, and undisclosed desires, resistance, guiding shite, and i belong to you are quite frankly the cherry on the fuckin top! i cant even comprimise with them songs, like with starlight i thought hmmm only one bad song its still ok though, but this is a fuckin new level, hope matt reads my angry comments becuase muse are just corperate westernised cunts now. FUCK YOU

Tell us how you REALLY feel though.

:stunned::stunned::stunned::stunned:

well, nice rant.

muse won't change (dare i say......unfortunately) so i guess you'll have to :stunned:

i did.

This is easily the most commercial sounding record Muse have released.

Showbiz - raw, refreshing, loud and different. Muse are born and noticed - organised by someone else.

Origin of Symmetry - brave, exciting, insane and louder. Muse have broken through the barrier, people are excited and the word is spreading fast - organised by someone else.

Absolution - progressive, imaginative, darkly seductive and powerful. Muse have established themselves as being amongst the best rockers in the world and their live acts are gaining an impressive reputation - organised by someone else.

Black Holes & Revelations - flamboyant, risky, outrageous and accessible. Muse have broken all barriers, gained a new audience, sold out stadiums and almost become a household name - organised by someone else.

The Resistance - Self indulgent, pretentious, sloppy and commercial. Muse are aware that the world and more is theirs for the taking. The first three singles are all songs that Bon Jovi and Celine Dion loving Mums and Dads would buy. They are looking for a new audience as they know their army of loyal fans aren't going anywhere. They want to be the new Queen and their raw creativity is suffering - organised by themselves.

If this is the real Muse then who the hell have we been listening to over the last ten years? All of the amazing songs that we all love weren't Muse? They were in fact Muse Inc Ltd tm. Bugger.

The posts from CarpetBomber and ceej1979 are refreshing. I've tried to listen to the full album multiple times and could only do it twice. Everyone does have their own opinion, but my opinion is that this album is simply not good.

I love Muse's music and have loved it since Showbiz. Like Muse or not, one cannot deny the technical talent of all three bandmates and the creativity of Bellamy's music and lyrics. Both aspects contribute to the band's phenomenal uniqueness. Just add 'Muse' to Pandora, Lastfm or iLike. The algorithms can only muster oasis, the killer and franz ferdinand, none of which sound anything like Muse.

The problem is The Resistance as an album is completely uncharacteristic of Muse. Don't get me wrong, I believe that change is great for a band to evolve. But when half the tracks sound like bad 80's pop or right off of one of Queen's albums, how can you say Muse is still unique?

Like CarpetBomber, I also believe that most of the songs are stale. The melodies are either incredibly disjointed as in MK Ultra and USoE or completely lack some type of progression or climax like Uprising and Resistance. The songs don't really take you anywhere as a listener or are totally all over the place. The riffs are also incredibly uninteresting and nowhere near the band's potential.

I really had high hopes for Exogenesis as well as the redeeming song of the album, but really was disappointed. The band saying this is really a three part symphony is ridiculous. Most of the orchestral counterparts really act as supplementary rather than completmentary as an orchestra should be played. It's like Metallica playing with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Yes it sounds ok, but take away that orchestra and nothing is lost. Take away the "orchestra" part in Exogenesis and replace it with an electro synth and nothing is lost.

Sorry to bash this album so much. I really just don't like it as a whole and really think Muse can do better.

Also, I'm sure there will be people who will love to dissect this post and defend The Resistance. I'm all for it, but instead of picking one sentence and refuting it with a sly comment, let us know why you think what you think. Back up your own argument.

I want to like the Resistance so help me out.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I'm sorry but that's a really stupid thing to say. Muse don't seek to dismiss their longtime fans, that's what this implies. If anything, longtime fans are special to a band. But good bands pride themselves on being individual, creative and going their own way because that's what made them famous, so they're prepared to gain and lose fans.

This album IS more commercial than their first three, but the fact that they did it on their own proves they're not trying to be commercial, they're making a sound they enjoy, not a sound a producer thinks they should produce.

It is not stupid, you have misunderstood me. I am not saying they are deliberately seeking to dismiss long term fans. I'm simply saying they feel this is them as they truly are, exactly as you say - they are being individual and creative. It implies to me that previously they haven't felt so true to themselves, their ideas have been curtailed in order to fit in with what the producer has advised them, the producer advising them with a commercial mindset. Ideas of what alternative and rock music should be like in order to be commercial also produces limits on creativity. Commerciality doesn't only exist in the world of pop. I'm just saying that fans who want them to stick to a previous style may actually be clinging on to a commercially modified version of Muse rather than who they really are. I'm not saying it wasn't Muse. Of course not. The creativity was there's, but possibly they always wanted to be a bit more diverse musically than they were.

I'm not so sure this album is more commercial, I think it's diversity may make it less commercial as it's not going to necessarily appeal to fans of a distinct genre. Just because it contains exploration of genre's not previously explored or liked by original fans doesn't make it bad though.

I have mixed feelings about it atm. My biggest feeling at the moment is that it could/should be better even though it is not bad. Listening to it I am finding new things that I like that haven't been present in previous records, but some bad ones are even more highlighted.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

The posts from CarpetBomber and ceej1979 are refreshing. I've tried to listen to the full album multiple times and could only do it twice. Everyone does have their own opinion, but my opinion is that this album is simply not good.

I love Muse's music and have loved it since Showbiz. Like Muse or not, one cannot deny the technical talent of all three bandmates and the creativity of Bellamy's music and lyrics. Both aspects contribute to the band's phenomenal uniqueness. Just add 'Muse' to Pandora, Lastfm or iLike. The algorithms can only muster oasis, the killer and franz ferdinand, none of which sound anything like Muse.

The problem is The Resistance as an album is completely uncharacteristic of Muse. Don't get me wrong, I believe that change is great for a band to evolve. But when half the tracks sound like bad 80's pop or right off of one of Queen's albums, how can you say Muse is still unique?

Like CarpetBomber, I also believe that most of the songs are stale. The melodies are either incredibly disjointed as in MK Ultra and USoE or completely lack some type of progression or climax like Uprising and Resistance. The songs don't really take you anywhere as a listener or are totally all over the place. The riffs are also incredibly uninteresting and nowhere near the band's potential.

I really had high hopes for Exogenesis as well as the redeeming song of the album, but really was disappointed. The band saying this is really a three part symphony is ridiculous. Most of the orchestral counterparts really act as supplementary rather than completmentary as an orchestra should be played. It's like Metallica playing with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Yes it sounds ok, but take away that orchestra and nothing is lost. Take away the "orchestra" part in Exogenesis and replace it with an electro synth and nothing is lost.

Sorry to bash this album so much. I really just don't like it as a whole and really think Muse can do better.

Also, I'm sure there will be people who will love to dissect this post and defend The Resistance. I'm all for it, but instead of picking one sentence and refuting it with a sly comment, let us know why you think what you think. Back up your own argument.

I want to like the Resistance so help me out.

I agree to an extent. Not sure about your words about the melodies as I do like them, but the 'heavy' songs such as unnatural are good, however leave alot more to be desired. It's still a decent song, enough for a bside, but they can definitely do better. I won't lie, I was dissapointed with this album at first. It needs a few listens to get properly into. Resistance and Exogenesis are terrific songs though.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:.

Archived