Just to check, valve heater not glowing = dead valve?

Looks like I may have to finally re-valve my Laney... Only taken six+ years :awesome:

Generally, yes. certain preamp tubes barely light up even when working properly, though. But since you're not getting any sound, it sounds like it's gone bad.

Six+ years? Not bad, and I assume you run that thing cranked all the way up too. I'd replace all of them for maximum TONE......

I find the tubes lasting two years or so before they start to SOUND bad in my amps....or at least the new production tubes

Hi, posted this in another thread and got blanked so I thought I'd ask in here.

I'm looking to pop this into my fender '72 thinline telecaster. I'm looking to get a local guitar hopefully to set it up for me, however, does anyone know whether they're compatible i.e. if I would need to alter any other electronics within the guitar. If not does anyone know how I would be able to tell these things? /bad electronics newb (hence why I'm looking to get a shop to set it up for me).

Cheers.

Could someone clarify with me something about an effects loop, namely, series vs parallel. I think the easiest way to ask this is with two examples. For each case, I'm going to say that i have a guitar input, an amp, and two effects; A and B.

Am I correct in saying this about a series loop:

If B is in the series loop, and the loop is turned off, the signal goes:

Guitar > A > Amp

and when it's turned on:

Guitar > A > B > Amp

Then a Parallel one when it's off (and B is in the loop) the signal goes:

Guitar > A > Amp

when it's on, it goes

Guitar > Signal is split, and goes into both A and B then comes back "together" and goes > amp

is that correct?

brilliant. Cheers tom!

I found a really good schematic that has controls to switch from parallel to series, aswell as controls for send volume and return volume. Send volume is so you can balance the volume between the effect(s) in the loop and the normal signal path. Return volume is the volume after the two signals have been "mixed", effectively making it a master volume, and then blend does what you were saying.

Seems like it has everything i'm looking for, right?

Yeah the send volume wouldnt have the same effect when the pedals are engaged as when they aren't, Say you have an overdrive in the loop, if you turn down the send knob, it wouldn't lower the volume, only "weaken" so to speak, the signal prior to the drive pedal, which when it is engaged, would only have a weaker drive to it as apose to being quieter...

I think that makes sense...

I'm looking to pop this into my fender '72 thinline telecaster. I'm looking to get a local guitar hopefully to set it up for me, however, does anyone know whether they're compatible i.e. if I would need to alter any other electronics within the guitar. If not does anyone know how I would be able to tell these things? /bad electronics newb (hence why I'm looking to get a shop to set it up for me).

Cheers.

Anyone? ;_;

anyone familiar with power conditioners? I know I saw a few people with them in their setups.

my amp is acting odd, and my tech thinks it's because of RF interference ... and a power conditioner might help. I don't know.

i have a power conditioner, but i mainly use it as a means to distribute power (it has 8 IEC outs meaning i only need to plug in the conditioner, rather than all my rack gear), rather than being paranoid about 'dirty' power.

im fairly sure that amps are made to work fine with a wide range of voltages, much wider than you would get from a dirty power source, so you shouldnt need one for voltage regulation imo.

my bassist has a little current limiting box... his amp is a crate audio rackmounted poweramp.. in shitty venues, when he turns it on it will often trip their power by pulling too much current too quick. the box stops it drawing too much current too fast :p

two questions:

firstly, i've a daisy chain for my pedals, that has 5 chained outputs. However, in about a day, i'll have a new pedal built and i'll need more than 5 dc jacks. Can i just get another one of those 5 chain things and add it to the end (so there's 9 outputs from 1 DC adaptor) or do i need to get a second DC adaptor thing?

Secondly, I never really use octave up on my whammy, and there's a very simple reason why. It's a bit too glitchy for my liking. Is this normal, or is there a reason for it? i left my whammy down in student accom, but random theories of mine include things like too much input into it (i'm using high output pickups, roll back volume a bit?), or that i'm using an american DC jack powered off a US>UK adaptor.

Secondly, I never really use octave up on my whammy, and there's a very simple reason why. It's a bit too glitchy for my liking. Is this normal, or is there a reason for it? i left my whammy down in student accom, but random theories of mine include things like too much input into it (i'm using high output pickups, roll back volume a bit?), or that i'm using an american DC jack powered off a US>UK adaptor.

Firstly, i'd change the adaptor to the UK one,

Then try:

Guitar---effects----EHX attenuator---Whammy----EHX LPB-----Amp

The things in red are the things you'd need to add, however...

Whammy's are all glitchy...

just depends how much so...

you might find it's less glitchy after distortion, and if so it might be worth getting a limiter to put in a loop with the whammy, as that will have the same compressing effect.

whatever, I don't know where a whammy goes... *cue Chedda with an imaginative rap*

But yea...

One of the best parts of growing up, is learning about your whammy

Whether it's thin or fat their similarities are uncanny

How to plug it in, what order, whether to show your granny

If it's fat with a MIDI in you belong to a new order of jammy

Lack of belief in one's whammy can produce romantic rejection

Before long, instead of women, you're fucking your whammy collection!

If you take it to a damp place you'll have to use protection

You dirty fucker, i'm talking about whammies, stop imagining my erection!

The weaker the signal going into the whammy (IE the volume coming out of your guitar) Then the more glitchy it is going to sound because the whammy is like "WTF I DUZ NOT NO WAT NOTE DIS IS SO I CUNNOT ACURITLY REPROZENT ITZ PITCHED NOAT" but you have the SHO before the whammy, it would counter the weaker signal from the guitar.

If you put the whammy going INTO the SHO, then you will just get loud glitchyness as apose to normal glitchyness :p

Archived