Break It to Me

OriginOfAbso

Propaganda into Break It To Me might be the best one-two punch on any Muse album.

Okay maybe not the best, but it’s way up there. What’s better? Sunburn into Muscle Museum? CE into MC? SMBH into MotP? Reapers into The Handler?

SMBH into MotP is par with this IMO

Propaganda into Break It To Me might be the best one-two punch on any Muse album.

Okay maybe not the best, but it’s way up there. What’s better? Sunburn into Muscle Museum? CE into MC? SMBH into MotP? Reapers into The Handler?

Depends how you define one-two punch. You mean songs that are great and flow into each other, or just the two best consecutive songs?

The prior, cuz there are ways too many of the latter to care about ranking them.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I’d say there’s a few above them. Bliss > Space Dementia, CE > Micro Cuts, Screenager > Darkshines, Assassin > COD > Hoodoo > Knights (if that’s allowed to count :chuckle:), maybe Cave > Showbiz. It’s up there though.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I’d say there’s a few above them. Bliss > Space Dementia, CE > Micro Cuts, Screenager > Darkshines, Assassin > COD > Hoodoo > Knights (if that’s allowed to count :chuckle:), maybe Cave > Showbiz. It’s up there though.

I mean yeah, I agree with pretty much all of those, but also...look how far back we have to go to get better than this.

The one thing I will say about this is, I love it and it’s perf, but it feels like it could do with just one more chorus after the solo (maybe I’m just saying that ‘cos I love it so so so much tho). Then you could maybe end on them pitch shifting vocals glitching out and going really weird at the end of that scale to end it, a bit like the whammy at the end of Defector.

The one thing I will say about this is, I love it and it’s perf, but it feels like it could do with just one more chorus after the solo (maybe I’m just saying that ‘cos I love it so so so much tho). Then you could maybe end on them pitch shifting vocals glitching out and going really weird at the end of that scale to end it, a bit like the whammy at the end of Defector.

Nah, it would be too predictable. At least, in the way it's now presented, it breaks the usual song form.

This song is absolutely fantastic. The middle-eastern style is excellent, especially the descending vocal line after the chorus. The scratching solo thing is really cool, the general melody and chord progression in the chorus is amazing. It blows me away. Totally unexpected and exceeded my expectations vastly. Can't put into words how breathtaking this song is for me.

ooh and your opinions begin to trickle out :eek:

i almost always have to let new music stuff in a bit before rendering opinions. no — that’s always the case. but the dust is starting to settle, and i sense that clarity re: my opinions on all this material is soon on the horizon. time to...get up and fight? no.

i’m pretty sure this is one of the most interesting tracks muse have put out in quite some time.

I ADORE it. The..."bendy" chords at the start. A Bollywood verse? Matt what are you doing. Holy moly what's this Arabic stuff going on? The pitchshifting! This is amazing and can't get any better I lo...

And then the theremin comes in.

:facemelt:

People forget how much theremin plays a role in making this song amazing.

Also is the theremin on any other tracks here?

The chorus is proto-Muse to the nth degree, probably the most aurally pleasing 15 seconds of music they’ve ever written, with Matt in his falsetto register. Then he sings “reborn” to a Phrygian dominant scale, which starts out clean, and gradually morphs as Matt returns to his chest voice. Then we’re right back to chest voice rapping over detuned guitars and weird Arabian hip-hop.

A literal fucking rebirth. I can’t get over it.