'Origin of Muse'

Tesseract

They are the recordings on OoS but different mixes with a couple of overdubs. The late 2000 live versions are based on these. You can find the club Quattro Gig on YouTube and listen for yourself.

The other MM is  the 2nd single release which should be available somewhere on YouTube. There's also another take on one of the showbiz b-sides.

For Bliss PiB and Newborn demos, there are numerous good quality live versions  widely available.  It's a shame the live versions aren't on the box set, I'd much prefered remastered versions of those as opposed to reading 2011.

5 hours ago, Silentgod86 said:

I don't think these are Demo's. OoS was being recorded during this period. I assume these are from the David Bothril session who's credited with producing NewBorn, Bliss, Plug In Baby and Darkshines. I woonder if one of the PiB mixes is of 2000 -era version of the song. No idea what the other is though.....

Nope, Bothrill's sessions were in december 2000, in september/october 2000 they recorded a bunch of demos just before the final gigs of showbiz tour, in australia/japan/northern europe. And it makes sense, if they recorded the final version of plug in baby in october 2000, they wouldn't play the demo version in early november 2000....

I believe the " mushroom session " happened after the tour, and that led them to reach the OOS tone, so they created new arrangements for the demos they already had bliss, pib, new born, dark shines, and " the other " on the CD is probably hyper music or microcuts ( unfortunately there's no bootleg of that song but it was played at the end of showbiz tour ) 

That's the most plausible explanation, I think.

40 minutes ago, Silentgod86 said:

They are the recordings on OoS but different mixes with a couple of overdubs. The late 2000 live versions are based on these. You can find the club Quattro Gig on YouTube and listen for yourself.

The other MM is  the 2nd single release which should be available somewhere on YouTube. There's also another take on one of the showbiz b-sides.

For Bliss PiB and Newborn demos, there are numerous good quality live versions  widely available.  It's a shame the live versions aren't on the box set, I'd much prefered remastered versions of those as opposed to reading 2011.

I'm not referfing to the U.S Mix of Muscle Museum.

I'm referring to the 'different take' version, which is much different too the official releases.

Plug In Baby was played throuout 2000, and the early versions were different from those played towards the end of 2000.

as they were playing  Plug In Baby in January 2000, it makes it obvious, they rehearsed this version the song in late 1999.

I'm saying they must have a Demo of Plug In Baby they played for most of 2000, before they changed too the version We now know, in late 2000.

Sharky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 6:52 PM, muse59200 said:

Nope, Bothrill's sessions were in december 2000, in september/october 2000 they recorded a bunch of demos just before the final gigs of showbiz tour, in australia/japan/northern europe. And it makes sense, if they recorded the final version of plug in baby in october 2000, they wouldn't play the demo version in early november 2000....

I believe the " mushroom session " happened after the tour, and that led them to reach the OOS tone, so they created new arrangements for the demos they already had bliss, pib, new born, dark shines, and " the other " on the CD is probably hyper music or microcuts ( unfortunately there's no bootleg of that song but it was played at the end of showbiz tour ) 

That's the most plausible explanation, I think.

That's not really how it went down.  The mushroom session did happen during the recording session with Bottrill in December, and the result was apparently so crap that they had to remix the entire thing afterwards. So they were sent to John Cornfield who created the mixes for the final products. You can read about it in the book "Out of This World".

Okay here's the timeline (which is quite clear on the musewiki page for origin):

October 2000, Muse go into the sudio with Bottrill. PiB, NB, DS, Bliss and possibly some other song, are recorded while the band were high on Mushrooms. Some songs like PiB and Bliss are re-arranged from the versions the band had being played live.
Late October 2000, Muse go back on tour with PiB played with the OoS album arrangement rather than the showbiz tour arrangement.  
Refer to: 

Late 2000-Early 2001, Muse return to the studio with John Cornfield and remix (not re-record) the songs from the David Botttrill sessions owing too many overdubs and poor mixing. The rest of the album is recorded and mixed during this time.

I honestly don't see where there is definitive proof of OoS demo's being left on the cutting room floor though I think it's a great shame there is no disc with the 2000 era live performances of OoS material but alas youtube has plenty of that material anyway.

Edited by Silentgod86

5 hours ago, Silentgod86 said:

Okay here's the timeline (which is quite clear on the musewiki page for origin):

October 2000, Muse go into the sudio with Bottrill. PiB, NB, DS, Bliss and possibly some other song, are recorded while the band were high on Mushrooms. Some songs like PiB and Bliss are re-arranged from the versions the band had being played live.
Late October 2000, Muse go back on tour with PiB played with the OoS album arrangement rather than the showbiz tour arrangement.  
Refer to: 

Late 2000-Early 2001, Muse return to the studio with John Cornfield and remix (not re-record) the songs from the David Botttrill sessions owing too many overdubs and poor mixing. The rest of the album is recorded and mixed during this time.

I honestly don't see where there is definitive proof of OoS demo's being left on the cutting room floor though I think it's a great shame there is no disc with the 2000 era live performances of OoS material but alas youtube has plenty of that material anyway.

The rest of the album wasn't recorded and mixed during that time. They remixed those songs with Cornfield at Sawmills, but then went on to record the rest of the new songs with John Leckie at Real World Studios and The Astoria, a houseboat studio. This is taken directly from Out of This World, page 116 and 117 in the 2014 edition.  

Also, on the musewiki page for OoS it literally says: "New Born", "Plug In Baby", "Bliss" and "Darkshines" were recorded with David Bottrill in the middle of touring in late 2000, in Ridge Farm Studios, Surrey. The songs were recorded as if in a live situation, within a few days. The band later had to re-master the songs with John Cornfield after the tour was over, in order to make them suitable for release, as they were not satisfied with the mixing of these tracks. Matt attributes this to the effects of the hallucinogenics, which were "great for exploring new territory", but "certainly not good for finishing things off".

It doesn't say that "Some songs like PiB and Bliss are re-arranged from the versions the band had being played live", it says that the songs were recorded as if being played live. 

Edited by Hat

I type this as my cat is sitting on my chest so please forgive any typos.

HAT, I meant the rest of OoS was recorded during late 2000 and early 2001, nothing less, nothing more. That time period.

The recordings of Bliss and Plug in Baby are quite different to the live versions that preceded them, hence they were re-arranged in studio. Listen to PiB in the video I linked from late 2000, or even read the comments for that matter, it sounds like the album version, not what they had been playing for most of 2000 prior to the Bottril sessions. Yes, the band tried to capture their live sound for the OoS sessions but that's a different issue to how the songs are composed.

I don't think we're disagreeing here but you're mis-interpreting a lot of things I've written. 

edit: I'm currently just four miles from real world studios!

Edited by Silentgod86

• 1 month later...

I’ve not stopped thinking about it 😂 glad we’re so close now, a small tour’s out of the question I’m p sure but a very tiny part of me hopes some mad, teeny one-off show is still plausible

What are y’all looking forward to most? For me it’s stuff like Cave, Sunburn, MM and maybe Hate This where you can tell there’s a lotta smothered details in the mix. Space Dementia could sound interesting as well, and I’m excited to hear them talk in-depth about that time in the interview.

I‘m only looking forward to the box itself! Gonna  look so pretty next to my other vinyls 😍 

kidding 😜

tbh I haven‘t thought about specific songs. I am curious about the unreleased stuff though, I heard the Newton Abbot demo on yt but that‘s not the same as remastered and blasting it over my speakers 😅 Same goes for Showbiz (I’ve already got OOS on vinyl and it sounds so much better than on CD 😍

1 hour ago, That Little Animal said:

This is exciting news people. We've been waiting for this for years. Talk. 

Any word of a related show/mini-tour? 

Nah, the opposite if anything - that they’re done until the next album cycle, nice long break etc. Any crew/management I follow all seem to have started focusing on other things as well, which obvs goes along with that.

In theory, they wouldn’t need much in the way of crew for a one gig special but I’m v doubtful.

I am still amazed they are releasing the NA demo. Management at the time were not overly impressed that we leaked it... perhaps we're only getting it on the release now as a result of that effort back then since it's already out there - we had it somewhat rejuvenated in a studio but it ultimately came from an old cassette tape so was never gonna sound great.