'Origin of Muse'

Tesseract

The whole vinyl resurgence is something I haven't really got into. Maybe its the higher price for it compared to CD's or downloads.

Maybe at some point its worth a try-out at least.

T'is imo, sounds cliche but there's something more raw/pure about a vinyl's sound. Maybe try it out with somebody else's record player first. I did it with my gran's Beatles records, liked the different sound/vibe and gradually bought a few of my all-time faves over the years since. It's not something I'd do as standard though, too expensive for that.

I don't think too many people are nostalgic for CDs.

I am. I think a lot people are too. (especially from my generation that grew up in the 90s) . I don't own a single vinyl, maybe that's why I never appreciated that type of format.

Speaking of CDs, I hope they release a CD version too and not just vinyl. What I would love though if the package included some posters of that era, I mean who wouldn't want an OOS and red haired Matt poster? That would be a dream.

Vinyl outsold CDs last year, at least by the dollar. Some people might buy vinyl just out of nostalgia to hold a physical version of their music. I don't think too many people are nostalgic for CDs.

Sure, but vinyl is also typically a lot more expensive. Don't get me wrong, I buy vinyl too, but I don't think this wave of nostalgia is going to last.

I love cds. I have a player in my car where I spend a lot of time. I have to run my mp3 player through a tape converter and the sound doesn't translate well. I prefer cds for that reason.

I miss the days of stereo consoles with warm, lush speakers and three different formats. Boomboxes with two tape decks where you can dub mix tapes and share them with your friends. Most of the time I'm listening to music on lap top speakers and it isn't the same.

/I'm old.

When CDs got popular here, which was in the late 80s/early 90s, they were more expensive than vinyl/45s! But the record companies decided to quit vinyl, and the CD got biiiig. :(

Yes, a CD is more handy, but the sound...it has a cold sound. But, it depends which music you like to listen to. Crystal-clear sound you need for classical music. But then you should buy those expensive Super Audio Cds, do they still exist?

Anyway, I own a record player and my old vinyl collection, plus new ones. But most of the new stuff, or let's say I noticed this with old albums, they are brought back to 180 g vinyl, digitally remasterd. Ok, sounds like a CD with the imagination of a better sound, but hey it's a vinyl! So this is kinda silly.

and of course those special 180 g pressings are more expensive. and the record companies saw a big market with the revival :erm:

Streaming/mp3/digital...c'mon, when I see ppl listening to music on their phones I could slap them in the face! sorry...

I think the peak revenue period for the music industry as a whole in the late 90's was jacking up the price of CD's, persuading people that vinyl was a dead format and getting people to convert their collection to CD's at ludicrous prices. Although does anyone have CD's from the 80s/90s that still work?

Anyway I'd imagine there'll be a CD format given some people still use the format, even if it is a shrinking percentage of music buyers.

I am. I think a lot people are too. (especially from my generation that grew up in the 90s) . I don't own a single vinyl, maybe that's why I never appreciated that type of forma.

Vinyl is bulky, fragile, degradable, inconvenient and expensive. The analog vs digital sound quality debate is endless. A lot of vinyl's appeal is simply nostalgia and a certain cool factor.

Nowadays, people who prefer digital music have abandoned CDs en masse for streaming services. As streaming quality improves, CDs don't really add anything in the way of audio, convenience or cost. Being just another source of delivering digital files, CDs also lack the nostalgic appeal of vinyl. That's pretty much the point that I was trying to make earlier.

I have hundreds of CDs (yes, many from the 90's), almost all of which reside in boxes in the garage now. I listen to music over a hard drive based server, Tidal streaming or vinyl albums when I'm in the mood. It's surprising how annoying it seems to have to get up every 20 minutes to flip over an album. First world problems, right? Most people's vinyl was relegated to the garage (or worse) 20 years ago but in many cases those records have returned back into the house. I just don't see CDs making that same comeback.

Sure, but vinyl is also typically a lot more expensive. Don't get me wrong, I buy vinyl too, but I don't think this wave of nostalgia is going to last.

No doubt about the price point on vinyl. Still, the only physical music format I buy currently is vinyl really. I don't buy a lot but I no longer have any use for CDs. Any CD that I've bought in the past few years has been immediately ripped to a network based server and the CD hardly gets played again. If that's my sole reason for buying a CD, it makes more sense to just listen through my Tidal subscription. Most of their music is CD-quality or better. I was still playing CDs in the car for a while but I've mostly transitioned to streaming there too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...