'Origin of Muse'

Tesseract

On 12/7/2019 at 5:51 AM, Jobby said:

Showbiz has some noticeable new (or at least I don’t think I’d noticed them before) panning backing vox during the ‘rhythms of greed’ verses that are pretty fing cool though. Host, too, in the first verse.

Correct! Thanks for pointing this out. I just compared this and the original Showbiz CD on headphones. They’re there on the original CD, but much less noticeable and centered instead of panned.

Nice alternate mix of Host, I don’t know the origin of that one.

The alternate scream in Falling Down is great, that was the first difference I noticed upon listening.

Pink Ego Box now has a new “You’ve Got Post” voice that is different than the one on Instant Messenger, yet the incoming message chime sound after the voice still sounds the same as the old one on Instant Messenger.

By the way, did you know that Map Of Your Head was remixed for inclusion on Hullabaloo Soundtrack? I noticed that after seeing the December 2001 mixing credit on that release. I went to the Hyper Music 3CD set to hear the original mix of the song, which I like much better. Origin Of Muse contains the Hullabaloo mix.

Has anyone else found any other alternate mixes on Origin of Muse not listed as such?

Edited by jjm905

I haven't had the time to check out the CD's or read through the book yet but Showbiz sounds great on vinyl. It's not a good basis for me to speak to the remastering because I've only ever heard the album digitally before. I can say that the sound is nice and clean. Some really hearty bass rumbles through the verses of Cave. Definitely more listenable than my old Showbiz CD. Falling Down sounded especially warm, full and bluesy. I kinda wish Muse had more songs in their catalogue with this feel.

It looks real pretty on the turntable as well.

20191210_233014.jpg

20191210_235631.jpg

• Like 3

Moving on to the Origin of Symmetry vinyl, I wouldn't say that the differences are as noticeable as they were with Showbiz. Which is probably for the better because, as has been mentioned previously, OoS really wasn't in serious need of remastering anyway. 

On first listen, I noticed the first significant differences during Citizen Erased. Comparing the vinyl remaster to a hi-res MQA stream on Tidal, the newer version seemed to have the bass pulled forward and a wider soundstage while the Tidal stream was more centered, louder and in-your-face so to speak. Comparing the LP to a hi-res stream might be too "apples and oranges" to be considered a real analysis of the remaster but subtle differences were there.

Either way, the discs looked lovely once again. 

20191211_011043.jpg

20191211_011125.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:04 AM, Tesseract said:

Mine still hasn't shipped. Remind me never to order from the Muse shop ever again. 

Mine has shipped, but is underway already since the 3rd of December and I have no working tracking code. Customer service is not quick to respond either. If I would have ordered it a week ago at one of our big local webshops I would have had it on the release date which pisses me off. So for me as well, never order anything from the Muse shop ever again.

Tbh really didn’t need my obsession with this band to peak again right in the middle of a big fat break

Also the pain of Black Holes’ mix/master is actually even worse now that we have these absolute beauties

Basically guys I think OOM was actually a mistake

The bass in Agitated is frankly violent now, that’s the closest word to describe it for me. Way closer to how the song feels live.

15 hours ago, kueller said:

Absolution and Black Holes were in the most need of a re-release. I hope it happens.

Genuinely, genuinely not sure what to do if/when Black Holes gets a good remaster. The universe needs these imperfections to keep us grounded I feel, like Knights closing SBE.

The day either that OR an anniversary show gets announced, everyone block every form of online presence I have. I don’t know what kind of person I’ll become.

Edited by Jobby

Just saw that Recess (version from OOM?) is on yt. I refuse to listen to this on there lol ... waiting for my box to arrive instead. Yes, it‘s expensive, some can‘t afford it and then yt is .. ok ? I won‘t search for it, it came up in my suggestions .. Algorithm strikes again 👀

7 hours ago, Silentgod86 said:

Can someone comment in the OoS instrumental demos? Anything interesting in there?

Not hugely. The early extended outro for Micro Cuts, no outro for Space Dementia, guitar outro for CE, Shrinking Universe is p much the early live version and Shine is acoustic.

10 hours ago, Claudia O said:

Just saw that Recess (version from OOM?) is on yt. I refuse to listen to this on there lol ... waiting for my box to arrive instead. Yes, it‘s expensive, some can‘t afford it and then yt is .. ok ? I won‘t search for it, it came up in my suggestions .. Algorithm strikes again 👀

Honestly it’s literally just that ‘different take’ lice early version with some extra piano, you’ve p much already heard it.

But if you’d still rather wait then I respect your willpower 😅

The remasters and interview kinda overshadow the ‘unreleased’ stuff for me though, apart from maybe the new early PIB demo.

I've been familiar with most of the B-sides and EP material in one form or another for a while. I can't say that I know much about anything that might have been previously available as bootlegs.

I found the acoustic versions of Cave and Muscle Museum to be quite fascinating but I've always been a fan of the Unplugged genre. 

I placed my order through here on 9/7 at 9:44 am, just got a response from customer support that, despite PayPal charging me shortly after (which I know is the standard policy for PayPal but still), my order is back ordered and it's unknown when it will be fulfilled. Truly disappointing, should have gone through the other sources but disappointed more pre-orders would be permitted beyond what was made available. Oh well, just hoping after more waiting they don't suddenly cancel my order altogether. 

It looks like you can‘t order it, nowhere 😨 my order from a store in Austria got cancelled, so was one from a friend of mine who ordered it somewhere else .. I mean .. ugh! 
clicking on every link on muse.mu .... no! 

Edited by Claudia O

Guys, where is this piano Unintended I’ve heard people talking about and is now also on Matt’s insta? I feel like I’m going mental ‘cos I knew I hadn’t heard it on my listen through and can’t find it on the tracklisting

It sounds amazing from the clip and is p much what I’ve meant any time I’ve suggested they do it live over the last few years