NA Tour 2017 General Discussion Thread

leohz

What did they do to joke about it?

Honestly, it doesn't really fuss me personally. To me, it just seems like a joke about what we've already know for years - that they're aware of what songs hardcores want but won't play them. Not the classiest thing, but maybe I've just seen/heard/read enough worse things to be desensitised at this point :chuckle:

Edit: nvm, seen the vid

Do you have a link please?

Do you have a link please?

Can't link it from me iPad but it's basically Tom, Morgan and some other dude sat round a table. One of them says "Right guys, time to sort out tonight's setlist" and each of them say Dead Star, Micro Cuts and CE. Then whoever's behind the camera zooms in on Tom's face and says "Did you just say Dead Star?" in a weird American accent.

What did they do to joke about it?

Honestly, it doesn't really fuss me personally. To me, it just seems like a joke about what we've already know for years - that they're aware of what songs hardcores want but won't play them. Not the classiest thing, but maybe I've just seen/heard/read enough worse things to be desensitised at this point :chuckle:

Edit: nvm, seen the vid

Muse are trolls, and honestly they're usually funny about it. Tom's video comes to mind as hilarious example. Doesn't bother me at all. Plus they know only hardcores would get the joke anyway.

At this point, I don't think I'd pay $100 to see them in town, let alone travel.

But you also have to admit that the band can do a great job of making you feel like you just missed the "good" gig when they rotate stuff like Map, Bliss, Sunburn, AP, and throw in CE twice. You can easily get the feeling that if you go to just ONE more gig you might get that song that you're dying to see.... Because we're pathetically happy to get Bliss level stuff in the US.

They can joke around all they want. The real tragedy is that they don't realize that that setlist would actually be a million times better than the crap they serve now.

It's like a celebrated chef charging a ton of money for a fancy five course meal, joking that it will include the lobster and caviar dishes that made him rise to fame and then serving five courses of hamburgers instead. Because everyone likes those.

It's like a celebrated chef charging a ton of money for a fancy five course meal, joking that it will include the lobster and caviar dishes that made him rise to fame and then serving five courses of hamburgers instead. Because everyone likes those.

This is brilliant. :LOL:

They can joke all they want but can you imagine if they altered their set list ever so slightly to look like this?

Dig Down

(Drill Sergeant)

Psycho

Hysteria

Map of the Problematique

Bliss

Isolated System

The Handler

Supermassive Black Hole

Dead Star

Madness

Dead Inside

Munich Jam

Starlight

Time is Running Out

Mercy

Citizen Erased

Micro Cuts

(Drones)

Uprising

Knights of Cydonia

In other words, their current set swapping out NKOK and TG for the "joke" songs.

Thing is, people are talking about swapping out what's already there and rotations when the main problem is just that they're not playing enough imo. When your set consists of 15 songs and you're as hit-focused as Muse, you've got practically 0 room for fan favourite rotations.

Expand the set by 2 or 3 songs to where it should be and stuff like Map, Bliss and Stockholm would become more standard again. Current sets would instantly look miles better, even with the excessive filler, and then you can start to open up more room for rotation.

That pretty much goes without saying, Jobby. You won't get any argument from me or probably anyone else here about the possibilities for improvement from a 15-20 minute longer show.

My only point with that set list above was how easily they could incorporate the older fan favorite songs without much change to their current set.

They still get to open with Dig Down (for better or worse) and parade out their radio hits.

The flow of the set is fundamentally the same, as is the run time.

It still includes 4 songs from Drones.

Matt still gets a few rest breaks along the way.

The end result is that The Globalist is the only omission of note. The set list is so much more pleasing to long-time fans while keeping the casuals happy as well. I would certainly forgive their 100-minute set, all the playback and even Dig Down if the show included Bliss, Map, Dead Star, Citizen Erased and Micro Cuts.

Sadly, "they are only a few changes away from greatness" has been the case for like 8 years. People have always suggested these sets with minor tweaks which would do wonders, but the fact is that it will always just be wishful thinking.

Ergh, Matt's started adopting rock poses during the heavier bits of Mercy, as if he truly believes it should be accepted among their great pantheon of heavy songs.

Sorry Matt, save that pose for bits of Assassin, Dead Star riffage, New Born riff, etc.