NA Tour 2017 General Discussion Thread

leohz

I thought Starlight was hilarious. The performance was fine, but the audio mix didn't pick up the crowd well enough so it was dead quiet when Matt asked them to sing. He also walked through the crowd at the same time and I think he instantly regretted it. It was a gauntlet of drunk Texans and he had to put some girl he was walking with in a headlock just to swat someone else away. I was cracking up. Good show though.

Heard some praise for it but I'm pretty disappointed in UD's new guitar part tbh. There's potential for some really nice stuff an acoustic could add to that song but what Matt's gone with is so basic, bland and slapped on that it becomes pointless and, ultimately, doesn't even feel like it fits imo. Sounds like it just rips off DI's last third in a different key.

It adds a little interesting things but I think it would've been better on an electric.

I've noticed more of a willingness to change some bits up - KoC sounds like it uses a different pedal, TIRO has the finger-clicks and pops, Psycho's solo has been redone - and its fairly overdue tbf. Just wondering if there's other stuff.

I thought Starlight was hilarious. The performance was fine, but the audio mix didn't pick up the crowd well enough so it was dead quiet when Matt asked them to sing. He also walked through the crowd at the same time and I think he instantly regretted it. It was a gauntlet of drunk Texans and he had to put some girl he was walking with in a headlock just to swat someone else away. I was cracking up. Good show though.

Oh yeah I agree. That was pretty comical.

He performed Starlight while walking through the crowd in Nashville and Atlanta and the same thing happened there so I think he was prepared for it.

Listened to the gig in the background while doing some work, actually enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. Some takeaways - more synth in Bliss and Knights was a welcome addition (thought Knights sounded really, really good). The synth has also been turned up in SS' chorus, which is great too (can turn it up even higher tho imho) - no surprise that it rocked as per. IS sounds so weird going into SS, as it does with The Handler. Mercy still sucks. Matt's phrasing on some of the songs (e.g. The Globalist) was weird - can he not sustain notes that aren't belting notes any more? Anyway, yeah, pas mal at all.

EDIT: also was so not expecting that Drones --> Uprising transition... thought the audio on my computer was broken. Kinda works? Though do prefer how they did it last year when the song would get to the "Amen" at the end and Matt would bring in this huge feedbacked Drop D chord to coincide with the "...-MEN". Then Psycho and Reapers would kick off.

Edited by frozenbanana

There seems to be a virus going around because of the Muse concert...there are tons of Youtube "streams" on that are "streaming" the concert in "pro" or something. Except you have to click this link in the description that sends you to another website, with a stream countdown and some pretty fake looking comments. You have to register to watch the "stream" and clicking that sends you to some dodgy website. There are tons of these "streams" up on Youtube. They have the same description and pretty same thumbnail.

lol

Granted, the rework of UD is minimal but there's a little something in these chords in my opinion. It is a bit underwhelming, but as they're never going to drop it, seeing Matt holding a guitar makes me feel better (how sad is that).

As for guitarless Uprising, it is more of a "damn I had forgotten how terribly awkward that was" feeling.

UD hasn't even been that much of a staple in the US since TR, has it? I've seen them 5 times and only seen UD twice. I've seen Map more than UD, and Sunburn equally as often.

Either way, it's a really poor trade off for the lead single of their most current album, and one of the best songs they've written in three album cycles, no matter what those few chords add to UD.

Unrelated, are these video tetris blocks pulled back and forth manually?

yes and no. lol.

there is a manual control board that sits next to tom's video monitors that can be used to override the pre-programmed movements that have been linked with the visual content.

there's also a control board stage right (in case someone in the crew sees a need for a movement).

The feed popped up when I logged on Facebook and I couldn't resist reading through the comments. So many people giving the crowd shit for not being "excited enough". I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the fact that the people who queued at 6AM were two or three rows back thanks to the VIP bullshit.

I'm not going to blame it on 30STM's fans either because the VIPs on the 360 tour killed the vibe too. One girl I was next to was "taking selfies with Matt" whenever he'd spin around over to our section.

UD hasn't even been that much of a staple in the US since TR, has it? I've seen them 5 times and only seen UD twice. I've seen Map more than UD, and Sunburn equally as often.

Either way, it's a really poor trade off for the lead single of their most current album, and one of the best songs they've written in three album cycles, no matter what those few chords add to UD.

Well on the Drones World Tour it got played 31 times. PIB and MotP got played 39 times each, and Resistance 38 times if you want to compare.

T2L Arena Tour : 77 times against 67 for PIB, 64 for Hysteria, 37 for Motp...

Edited by Zepp

They're in my town tomorrow. Not very hyped for my 5th time seeing them. Will easily be the worst of the 5. Not sure what board consensus is as I haven't been around since this tour started. But for me,

Complaints:

- Why in the fuck are they opening with dig down? And that it's the new single is not a valid excuse.

-Extremely unfair rotations. I was set to get TH and DI if they kept the alternating going but since the fan vote lead to them playing both SS and UD twice in a row it looks like i'll be getting fucked there. SS is great but i've seen it 4 times. TH 0. And i don't think anyone wants UD to stick around.

- Short set with way too much filler. The set length is expected tbh but with NKoK and Isolated System (why is this still around? Play Unsustainable), multiple jams, guitarless Uprising. This is bad.

- When uprising is a song to look forward to you know the set is shit. Mind blowingly bad stretch of 7 "songs" counting jams until an encore that I used to not care for. Uprising was only great when it was the opener for TR tour.

- Way too much playback going on.

Positives:

The Globalist will be good.

It's Muse in my home town, for only the second time in 11 years.

Mercy might be ok since I haven't seen it yet but TH and DI are the only drones songs I consider top tier Muse. So this may make for a disappointing night.

I do think rotating out two big Drones songs shouldn't be happening (especially at the same gigs) when this is an extension of the Drones tour that missed most of these areas the first time around, though.

Especially considering the Reapers/Revolt rotation is missing, also.

*cough*Australia*cough*

when this is an extension of the Drones tour that missed most of these areas the first time around, though.

At this point, I feel like that's been abandonded and they're just looking at this as the start of a new cycle.

*cough*Australia*cough*

Incidentally, Matt commented on Insta today that they will (finally) be going there.

Stockholm/The Handler isn't an unfair rotation simply because you wanna see one more than the other. Don't see how that makes it "extremely unfair".

A song they've played live hundreds of times vs a new song universally praised by fans is pretty unfair. Especially in cities where the drones world tour didn't stop.

Or you could say that Stockholm Syndrome has been a fan favourite and one of their most popular songs for over a decade and one that fans have complained about when it wasn't played for every tour. It's all about how you look at it.

When Muse rotated SS with US people complained that it was unfair to those who got US, and that one was pretty universally appreciated as well.

This. The fact that they're not playing Reapers and The Handler at every show sucks. People in the South East never had a chance.

When I left the show in Atlanta, my first thought was how much that show could've used Reapers. The second half of the show draaaaagged. And there was never even a chance for good energy to get going due to the seemingly constant breaks.

Or you could say that Stockholm Syndrome has been a fan favourite and one of their most popular songs for over a decade and one that fans have complained about when it wasn't played for every tour. It's all about how you look at it.

When Muse rotated SS with US people complained that it was unfair to those who got US, and that one was pretty universally appreciated as well.

Fair point. I'm not saying the songs aren't of the same caliber. SS is an all time great and a fan favorite yes. But really to be honest they should drop nkok, isolated system, the jams And add the handler reapers and dead inside to every show.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser