NA Tour 2017 General Discussion Thread

leohz

I know the board is an echo chamber of disgruntled fans but my question is how much longer can it go on? Let's assume someone sees them once every three years once per tour and has gone since The Resistance. That would mean they've heard the majority of the setlist three times now.

More variety doesn't only benefit us.

I found myself really thinking about that while seeing Green Day this last time around. The last time I saw them was during the 21st Century Breakdown cycle, and other than a couple of new hits, this felt like the EXACT same show.

It ran deeper than setlist, too, as it felt like the band went through the exact same motions in the songs (and YT vids confirm this,) and pulled the exact same antics.

I was left extremely disappointed, despite liking the songs that were played, and it being MASSIVELY cheaper than Muse's current tour.

I'm not a big fan by any stretch of the imagination, and still the gig felt incredibly stale simply because I'd seen one a decade ago.

Muse is doing this same thing, only with an ott stage show.

It made me wonder, because Green Day is still selling out crazy sized stadiums. Are that many people still satisfied seeing the same exact thing every time?

I found myself really thinking about that while seeing Green Day this last time around. The last time I saw them was during the 21st Century Breakdown cycle, and other than a couple of new hits, this felt like the EXACT same show.

It ran deeper than setlist, too, as it felt like the band went through the exact same motions in the songs (and YT vids confirm this,) and pulled the exact same antics.

I was left extremely disappointed, despite liking the songs that were played, and it being MASSIVELY cheaper than Muse's current tour.

I'm not a big fan by any stretch of the imagination, and still the gig felt incredibly stale simply because I'd seen one a decade ago.

Muse is doing this same thing, only with an ott stage show.

It made me wonder, because Green Day is still selling out crazy sized stadiums. Are that many people still satisfied seeing the same exact thing every time?

I've seen Green Day a bunch of times and you're right about their show not changing a lot from tour to tour. They drop a few songs and sprinkle in a few new ones from the latest album. I saw them twice on the current Revolution Radio tour and they played half of that album, half of American Idiot and most of the other hits that one would expect of them.

That said, Green Day can get away with it for a handful of reasons. They usually play around a 30-song set list encompassing their whole career. They still play songs from their old indie albums that most of their post-Idiot fans wouldn't recognize. (Imagine Muse doing that). Billie Joe has such boundless energy throughout the show that the audience stays engaged. He interacts constantly with he fans beyond a few cursory greetings one would expect of Matt. Plus, in the US at least, Green Day has a much larger and more enduring fan base than Muse. Their songs are so familiar that most of the crowd can sing along with a good portion of the set. Muse simply does not have that level of connection with their crowds.

I know the board is an echo chamber of disgruntled fans but my question is how much longer can it go on? Let's assume someone sees them once every three years once per tour and has gone since The Resistance. That would mean they've heard the majority of the setlist three times now.

It's actually worse than that. Apart from the two-thirds of the set list that has remained static, consider the part that has changed. We're now hearing Madness, Dig Down, Dead Inside, Mercy and whatever NKOK is in the place of New Born, Ruled by Secrecy, Butterflies and Hurricanes, Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra and United States of Eurasia. Feeling Good might even be a refreshing surprise in this current set list.

It's actually worse than that. Apart from the two-thirds of the set list that has remained static, consider the part that has changed. We're now hearing Madness, Dig Down, Dead Inside, Mercy and whatever NKOK is in the place of New Born, Ruled by Secrecy, Butterflies and Hurricanes, Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra and United States of Eurasia. Feeling Good might even be a refreshing surprise in this current set list.

Let's be fair, though, how often has RbS been played in the US outside of it's cycle, or B&R in a decade. US and MK were rare on their own cycle.

That doesn't detract from the fact that they're replacing actual song slots with shit like NKOK playback. Seriously, they gave up Reapers and that's what we got.

Let's be fair, though, how often has RbS been played in the US outside of it's cycle, or B&R in a decade. US and MK were rare on their own cycle.

How often? I don't know. I only mentioned those songs because I saw them all performed over the course of the 3 shows that I attended during the Resistance Tour. Maybe I was just fortunate there but I've yet to see Bliss or Citizen Erased live.

Even if those songs were just randomly thrown into a set from time to time, Muse don't seem to be spontaneous enough to even offer those surprises anymore.

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel

Although I was delighted to hear Ruled by Secrecy, I wouldn't say that the crowd as a whole "got" it.

Butterflies and Hurricanes, on the other hand, was a true show stopper that blew everyone away. I remember at the end of the song, the guy in front of me literally stood there with his jaw dropped open and just said, "Holy shit!" Obviously, Muse don't want that to happen too often anymore. The only occasion that I noticed that reaction on the last tour was when the drones started falling from the air onto people.

I was actually thinking that about Feeling Good....I mean it's not the worst thing Muse have ever done and would get the crowd going more than half the songs they play these days.

Have I just said something blasphemous?

Feeling Good might even be a refreshing surprise in this current set list.

I was actually thinking that about Feeling Good....I mean it's not the worst thing Muse have ever done and would get the crowd going more than half the songs they play these days.

Come on, guys, keep some kinda standards. If you're getting to the point where you want Feeling Good to come back and improve the sets, idk what to tell you.

The way things are going he would probably leave the stage singing only the megaphone bits from backstage, whilst on stage there is one of those light-up playing themselves pianos

Don't give him ideas! :eek: Matt has already found a self-playing piano...

:LOL:

Dropping Reapers (during its album cycle) in favor of Undisclosed Desires (something that I don't think has any business being played in 2017)is unforgivable.

But...but...Matt plays an acoustic guitar.

To be honest, I was a little surprised and disappointed that UD was still around for the T2L tour.

We've reached a point where Muse are playing 15-16 song sets. And two of those songs are Dig Down and NKOK. Would the return of Feeling Good really be a step in the wrong direction at this point?

Yeah imo, you're just adding another naff song to the set. The gig'd be slightly longer, sure, but definitely not any better.

Guiding Light might be an improvement to the sets...

Like with FG, this will never

ever

be the case.

Dropping Reapers (during its album cycle) in favor of Undisclosed Desires (something that I don't think has any business being played in 2017)is unforgivable. Without driving 10+ hours in many cases, these people didn't have a damn chance.

the song charted highly, fans seem to react positively to it. it blows my mind that this is still complained about. you may hate it, doesn't mean the band isn't justified in doing it. reapers got barely any crowd reaction by comparison. not saying i love it either, but it is what it is.