NA Tour 2017 General Discussion Thread

leohz

Yeah imo, you're just adding another naff song to the set. The gig'd be slightly longer, sure, but definitely not any better.

Well, I was half (maybe three-quarters) kidding about adding FG as an improvement. Nonetheless, it's still a bit damning that one of the most complained about songs in their live repertoire wouldn't make their current set list any worse.

Well, I was half (maybe three-quarters) kidding about adding FG as an improvement. Nonetheless, it's still a bit damning that one of the most complained about songs in their live repertoire wouldn't make their current set list any worse.

Well, I mean, it kinda would :chuckle: However naff or short their sets already are atm, adding one of their worst live songs to the mix is only gonna take it one way (and it ain't up or sideways).

I think calling Feeling Good their worst live song is way too harsh. I would rather see any other piano song in that slot, but FG is a fun live song. Most people know it even if they haven't heard Muse's version, so you get a pretty good sing along and the song has got a decent energy to it. I've seen it twice now and I quite enjoyed it.

the song charted highly, fans seem to react positively to it. it blows my mind that this is still complained about. you may hate it, doesn't mean the band isn't justified in doing it. reapers got barely any crowd reaction by comparison. not saying i love it either, but it is what it is.
Actually, according to a lot of people (myself included) Undisclosed Desires barely got a reaction at all back in 2009, which was why its spot in the setlists was questioned in the first place. It actually seemed to kill the mood.

It would only take small changes to drastically improve their sets.

Replace Dig Down with pretty much any song to open the gig with. NKOK replaced with a 'classics' spot where they play a different song every night (Sunburn, MM, Hyper Music, Assassin or whatever)

Drop 'The Globalist' forever and there is room for 2 more songs.

Replace Dig Down with pretty much any song to open the gig with. NKOK replaced with a 'classics' spot where they play a different song every night (Sunburn, MM, Hyper Music, Assassin or whatever)

Drop 'The Globalist' forever and there is room for 2 more songs.

I don't mind Dig Down too much personally, but it shouldn't share the same setlist as Madness - they are the same song.

And then throwing in Resistance which has exactly the same ending as both of them is a bit of a kick in the teeth.

and the song has got a decent energy to it.

:stunned:

Did you see it on the Drones Tour? I mean, even then, FG hasn't had energy since '01/'02.

I saw Feeling Good on the Drones Tour.

Do not bring it back.

^

Seen it twice, once it 2010 and then in London last year. It's reputation as being kinda flat and dull was justified all the way back then but by 2016 it was genuinely bad. Matt's vocals...

Replace Dig Down with

You can't really suggest dropping the lead single for their new 'era'/album that they only just put out. This is why I keep saying the set length is the main problem, as opposed to the actual song choices. When they're pretty much only play the essentials, there isn't really much, if anything, they can realistically drop or consistently rotate. NKOK and The Globalist, sure, but that'd only free up 2 or 3 songs.

Edited by Jobby

I've been lucky to not see FG since '10, but even at my first Muse gig it was terrible. It didn't fit with the set at all, and got no crowd reaction. I wonder if the reason Matt thinks the crowd hates piano songs is that he's leaned so heavily on terrible ones that scream "cover of a song you've heard too many times in soap commercial."

It didn't fit at all with what the band had going on live, especially at the time.

I was also surprised on the TR tour what an utter lack of reaction UD got, since it was on the radio quite a lot. I really enjoyed it in '10, though.

With how obsessed Matt is with the crowd, it's bizarre he keeps returning to what is such an obvious dud.

I've been lucky to not see FG since '10, but even at my first Muse gig it was terrible. It didn't fit with the set at all, and got no crowd reaction. I wonder if the reason Matt thinks the crowd hates piano songs is that he's leaned so heavily on terrible ones that scream "cover of a song you've heard too many times in soap commercial."

It didn't fit at all with what the band had going on live, especially at the time.

I was also surprised on the TR tour what an utter lack of reaction UD got, since it was on the radio quite a lot. I really enjoyed it in '10, though.

With how obsessed Matt is with the crowd, it's bizarre he keeps returning to what is such an obvious dud.

When I saw Muse on the Resistance Tour, Matt actually teased the crowd with the intro to Apocalypse Please before kicking into Feeling Good. Not sure if he does this often but it was pretty lame.

I've never been a fan of UD but it's been played at all 5 concerts that I've attended. Bit of a drag on the show, IMO.

When I saw Muse on the Resistance Tour, Matt actually teased the crowd with the intro to Apocalypse Please before kicking into Feeling Good. Not sure if he does this often but it was pretty lame.

There was a pretty infamous case of him doing it with the Bliss intro a fair few years ago as well, might've been TR Tour, can't remember where though. Wonder if it was an intentional dig at hardcores with FG being particularly ragged on at the time, or just a coinkydink.

There was a pretty infamous case of him doing it with the Bliss intro a fair few years ago as well, might've been TR Tour, can't remember where though. Wonder if it was an intentional dig at hardcores with FG being particularly ragged on at the time, or just a coinkydink.

It was the TR tour somewhere in the US iirc.

if I could choose between Futurism and Undisclosed Desires with actual strings, I'd take the latter because the RAH benefit performance was pretty damn cool

Undoubtedly it was a good performance, but surely that's going a bit far? :confused:

I swear it was Take a Bow that Matt did on the piano before playing Feeling Good at more than one gig on The Resistance tour, which I recall being described by a line roughly going, "amazing foreplay before terrible sex".

It was surprisingly good at Wembley and Reading on the TR tour but it really should have been retired with most of Origin after R/L 2011. It's really felt like a dud since.

I swear it was Take a Bow that Matt did on the piano before playing Feeling Good at more than one gig on The Resistance tour, which I recall being described by a line roughly going, "amazing foreplay before terrible sex".

setlist.fm actually agrees with you there but, for some reason, I've always remembered it as the AP intro. It was 7 years ago so I may well be incorrect. Either way, not a nice tease.

Edit: I found a video of it and it was TAB. I oddly remembered it as the first few bars from the wrong album.

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel

You can't really suggest dropping the lead single for their new 'era'/album that they only just put out.

The full quote was

Replace Dig Down with pretty much any song to open the gig with.

I don't mind the song and you are correct, they wouldn't not play their new single, it just shouldn't be as an opener.

I also agree that Madness should have no place on the same setlist, especially when they also play Resistance and Dead Inside. They are all pretty close in terms of song structure.

Imagine replacing The Globalist with Micro Cuts/Assassin/Hyper Music and Apocalypse Please/Ruled by Secrecy/Sunburn

Suddenly the set becomes good again.

The full quote was

I don't mind the song and you are correct, they wouldn't not play their new single, it just shouldn't be as an opener.

Oh, soz. Read it as replacing the song entirely as opposed to just moving it somewhere else.

I also agree that Madness should have no place on the same setlist, especially when they also play Resistance and Dead Inside. They are all pretty close in terms of song structure.

Doesn't make sense to drop by-a-mile your biggest hit in the US just 'cos it sounds similar to the new single imo. Unless you fancy pulling a Radiohead but Muse are on the polar opposite end of the scale to them.

Also, Resistance is similar to Madness?

Imagine replacing The Globalist with Micro Cuts/Assassin/Hyper Music and Apocalypse Please/Ruled by Secrecy/Sunburn

Suddenly the set becomes good again.

Stuff like that is pointless to imagine though 'cos it's never gonna happen. Sets could massively improve without going that far outside the realms of possibility. If you're gonna speculate on how to improve sets, it's way more worthwhile to talk about stuff that could actually be done imo. That's the kind of stuff that's lead to Muse shrugging off fan complaints over the years 'cos they assume everyone just wants super rare stuff and deep cuts to replace the common songs, which isn't really the case.

It's also a bit obvious to point out that replacing a new-ish song that got a luke-warm reception with rotation slots for massive fan-favourite rarities would be an improvement :chuckle:

That was the MN gig that was my first Muse concert.

I knew he wasn't going to play Bliss on the piano but, it being one of my two favorite Muse songs, it broke my heart.

I saw them on T2L right after they stopped rotating it in, too, and my heart completely sank when Resistance started up.

I think I have fonder memories of the TR gig than I should because opening with Exo was pretty awesome, and it ended with TaB.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of you guys should just make your peace with the fact that each show is a gamble and the odds are definitely not in your favor if you're in the United States and you're expecting anything more than *insert a couple tracks latest album* + every hit they've ever had. Can't say I'm too optimistic about the new release pattern since they'll likely all be "hits" and they don't seem to drop them so there'll be even less room for anything else at this rate.

Adding another 3-4 songs can totally change the setlist and that just reinforces my point that the board's reputation for being unreasonable is total bullshit.... But even if they did replace The Globalist with a handful of songs or extend the setlist from T2L's 19 to 22-23, an album cycle down the line we'd be in the same situation since they don't drop their hits and they keep making more of them.