I'll be honest, I like it!

Alright yeah it's no Stockholm Syndrome or Showbiz but fuck, they're 15 - 20 years ago of course it's not going to be anything like that!

If it gets the airplay then I can see it being fairly popular, a bit like Kings and Queens by 30STM was a few years back. People love a good woah.

People like the Holocaust a little less however so that may not go down so well with the easily offended aka everybody in this day and age.

I'm imagining this song where the whoa chants are gone but that section is just that awesome bass riff and Matt playing that whoa oh melody with the whammy like in the solo and at that point the song is good.

I feel like I have dozens of examples of Muse songs that get ruined by one tiny thing. The "could be wrong" bit in Resistance for example. Take that out and that's an 8/10 song.

Lyrics for convenience

Strung out, falling from the big time

Welcome to the infinite black skies

Brain-cleanse, fractured identity

Fragments and scattered debris

Thought contagion

Thought contagion

Fall down, learn when to count it out

Prop me up before I blackout (ey)

Withdraw before you’re out of time

A clean slate and buried war crimes

You’ve been bitten by a true believer

You’ve been bitten by someone who’s hungrier than you

You’ve been bitten by someone’s false beliefs

Thought contagion

Thought contagion

They’ll never do what you want them to

Give it up and watch them break through

It’s too late for a revolution

Brace for the final solution

Thought contagion

Thought contagion

You’ve been bitten by someone who’s hungrier than you

You’ve been bitten by someone’s false beliefs

Thought contagion

Thought contagion

Strung out, falling from the big time

Welcome to the infinite black skies

It’s too late for a revolution

Brace for the final solution

Honestly if this song wasn't by Muse, but by some new-ish not well known band, would you give it a second listen?

I’d just treat it like your average, obscure-ish, young alt. rock band that’s obvs influenced by 2000’s Muse. So, no, probs not.

I do think someone was right when they said it’d improve massively live though.

Fucking wish those sci-fi whammy/synth lines replaced the ‘woah’ vocals for the entire song.

Edited by Jobby

I'm imagining this song where the whoa chants are gone but that section is just that awesome bass riff and Matt playing that whoa oh melody with the whammy like in the solo and at that point the song is good.

I feel like I have dozens of examples of Muse songs that get ruined by one tiny thing. The "could be wrong" bit in Resistance for example. Take that out and that's an 8/10 song.

Chris you're giving this an 8/10? L O L

Cheesy lyrics aside, this song reminds me of BH&R/Abso era Muse. Eh, I don't really get the negativity with this one. It's hardly as egregious as Dig Down or Revolt.

Revolt at least was mixed to where you could tell guitars were an important part of the band, both Dig Down and this song have buried the guitars in the mix which I think alone merits more criticism.

Revolt at least was mixed to where you could tell guitars were an important part of the band, both Dig Down and this song have buried the guitars in the mix which I think alone merits more criticism.

Sure, the mix is a bit shite - though some of that might be because this is a pretty shite stream - but bad mix or not I still like the song. The riff definitely sounds like something they would have written back then.

I just really like the riff.

I'd like the riff more if it were mixed better. As it is right now, I'd be more interested in hearing the riff sans chorus of Revolt. Of course I'm willing to eat my words if the riff is actually mixed well come tomorrow, but the mix just doesn't sound like it would improve much.

tl;dr I think the riff all in all is pretty basic. I also think riff excitement might just be because we've gone a literal year without any real "riff" in any song

I'd like the riff more if it were mixed better. As it is right now, I'd be more interested in hearing the riff sans chorus of Revolt. Of course I'm willing to eat my words if the riff is actually mixed well come tomorrow, but the mix just doesn't sound like it would improve much.

tl;dr I think the riff all in all is pretty basic. I also think riff excitement might just be because we've gone a literal year without any real "riff" in any song

Honestly, for me I just like the riff. I think it's cool. It's fun. It's not hugely original, but it's fun. The song is fun. It's got energy. It's catchy.

This..and that bass and guitar tone is pretty mint. I was hoping Muse would never follow the stupid whoa oh chanty trend though. And the lyrics aren't near as bad as 90% of what we've gotten the last 3 albums.

edit: honestly if the choral vocals weren't in the song and that melody was strictly guitar bass and synth I would say this song is fully good.

====So sorry but you are just full of it?+++ Mr Citizen Eraser? Really? Where were you in 1999? Stop pretending you know what Muse is all about. Lots of love.---

I will defend The Resistance until the day I die

For what it's worth, I've said a number of times how disappointed I was with The Resistance, but I listened to it for the first time in a while the other day without UD and IBTY and it's a decent enough album, with some pretty good bits in there. It's just not up to the standard of the previous three which was where I felt let down.

The best thing I can say about the new song though is that it's not Dig Down, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement. If people like it then fair enough, but it's just not at all what I would ever listen to Muse for.