I can't say if that's a bad thing, or a good thing, considering Pitchfork has always had a strange crush on RH.

They deserve the acclaim, don't get me wrong, but they from different dimensions: Muse has nearly always leant to the more pop-rock side, and RH have a distinct experimental push that propelled them in the Olympus of modern music.

What Radiohead did with their career has made them legends, albeit the mildly overrated kind like Nirvana or The Beatles, just because nothing can live up to that much hype. What Muse did with their career has made them one of the most successful rock bands of the 2000s, and easily one of the most fun/entertaining.

That was the the turning point honestly. I remember the people claiming the real song which is heavier would come out later lol.

But black holes still has tons of top tier Muse on it. And each album since then has had less and less of what the “old fans” would consider top tier Muse.

Does Drones have less top tier Muse than T2L?

Supremacy top tier Muse :vomit:

T2L has no top tier Muse imo and, as much as I enjoy around half of it, I wouldn’t say Drones does either tbh.

So when is official video coming out?

Probs later today, unless they’re doing a lyric video first.

Edited by Jobby

Those sing-a-long sections were awful though so for once I'd rather have a dead crowd.

I totally agree with this, of course, because to me seeing a good show and good songs is way more important than crowd engagement, but it's hard to argue that it's pretty obvious Matt doesn't agree with all the bitching about crowds he does.

Which has always been ironic because he never DOES anything to engage the crowd, and all the "woahs" in the world isn't going to help if he doesn't.

That would be good... worked well when 30STM did it with Kings and Queens. They do need more interaction IMO

Is Matt going to stop sucking at it overnight, though? I think it would just be awkward as fuck at this point.

Everything I've ever seen him say to the crowd has either been mumbled nonsense, or a downright insult.

And I've seen the guitarless Uprising three times, that was supposed to help with "crowd interaction" and he stared at his feet and stood in place one time, and fondled his boobs the other two.

That would be good... worked well when 30STM did it with Kings and Queens. They do need more interaction IMO

Wait, what? No, this isn’t what I meant D:

Is Matt going to stop sucking at it overnight, though? I think it would just be awkward as fuck at this point.

Everything I've ever seen him say to the crowd has either been mumbled nonsense, or a downright insult.

And I've seen the guitarless Uprising three times, that was supposed to help with "crowd interaction" and he stared at his feet and stood in place one time, and fondled his boobs the other two.

SBE was by a miiiiile the most active/comfortable I’ve ever seen him on the mic, in person or through watching/listening to old bootlegs, and even then he wasn’t Mr. Charisma. It’s been said a million times but crowd interaction just isn’t something Matt can do well. 9 times outta 10, they’re best just letting the music talk, especially at big gigs filled with a lot of casual goers.

Edited by Jobby

Supremacy top tier Muse :vomit:

T2L has no top tier Muse imo and, as much as I enjoy around half of it, I wouldn’t say Drones does either tbh.

Probs later today, unless they’re doing a lyric video first.

Even though I was the one who said it i go back and forth on Supremacy. But Animals I’ll never waiver on. That’s a great song that won’t fade on me.

From the KROQ interview:

- 10 track + two bonus ones for new album.

- The new material is inspired a lot by Black Mirror (whoa).

- They're working on a song which is their favourite one at the moment, and it's called... "The Dark Side" (:LOL::facepalm: Good Lord, Matt, seriously?).

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

I understand the mixed response and relate to some of the aspects people aren’t finding to their taste. I don’t feel like the Fury comparison was inaccurate, though. It wouldn’t even have seemed completely bizarre to me if Matt had compared the song with Futurism in the same interview – he just didn’t mention the arena-rock-singalong-style backing vocals, which change everything/shift focus from the ‘slow, dark groove’ or whatever :p !! I’d generally rather Muse studio recordings be free of most OI, HEY or WHOA vocalisations, because it usually breaks any sense of immersion for me - I start thinking “well, this is the crowd participation bit. This would be enjoyable for the band to hear chanted back at them, I guess. Good for concerts … mm, I’m not at a concert ...”. There’s something that can seem a little calculating, like the band don’t have enough faith that people are going to notice how catchy the hook is (in this case) or that Matt’s attempts to get the crowd involved will fall flat on their face if it hasn’t been spelled out in advance “this is the bit YOU come in” on the studio version ...

Saying that, in many ways I think Thought Contagion is exactly the sort of single the band need to release from time to time. It has lots of little touches that might make it more accessible for mainstream audiences – the most simple of Muse-y chord sequences, the sort of simple but effective riff that guitar/bass players of any level can work out in their bedrooms, a repetitive, earworm-y hook – even some hip-hop/trap beat influence in the verses and whatever else that makes it feel like the band are at least trying to move their sound forward a bit. Meanwhile, they’ve kept aspects of their musical identity in tact very well (unlike in some of their other recent offerings) – to me it really doesn’t sound like any other band. It sounds VERY much like a Muse song, just one that incorporates a gimmicky singalong bit that I’m not personally so fond of :LOL: I’ve never been the biggest fan of Time is Running Out for similar reasons (though I appreciate the production style wasn't quite as in-your-face on that one), but that’s been a very successful gateway song for them.

I agree with people who think it’s going to work well live. It shouldn’t be too vocally demanding (and isn’t teetering right at the edge of Matt’s range), and the music should definitely sound a lot meatier/heavy through their gig setup. If a certain number of setlist slots have to be gobbled up by newer singles, I don't think I'd be too unhappy when this one came on.

Of course, all opinions subject to change ... I'll see how it grows on me (or doesn't)!

bonus tracks: on the final album? Japanese only? Urban Outfitters vinyl exclusive and/or other major retail chain exclusive and/or iTunes exclusive?

more importantly, should i even care at this juncture?

in the end -- as is almost always the case -- i'm sure none of the details stated today will ultimately manifest in due course.

- They're working on a song which is their favourite one at the moment, and it's called... "The Dark Side" (:LOL::facepalm: Good Lord, Matt, seriously?).

Fuckin ell

How do they already know they’ll have 2 bonus tracks? Like, surely that’s something that comes after you’ve recorded everything and need to decide exactly what you do/don’t want on the record. Either way, feels weird. That’ll be the first ‘b-sides’ of any kind in 8 years (if it actually comes out this year). Wonder what’s made them change their stance on that.