Fuck me sideways, I still can't get over how Matt was stupid enough to think it would be a good idea to write "brace for the final solution", and how no-one then stopped him before this was all wrapped up. People could make a real shitstorm about this if they want to, it comes across as crass and really ignorant

Totally agreed. I was wondering how long it would take before this discussion popped up

After listening to it a few times, this is my "hot'n'ready" reaction.

I don't care about what many are saying here... because for now I f**king enjoy the heck out of it.

If DD felt too similar to Madness and had too much of a cheesy delivery, this is cheese done well, for me. It's dramatic but not corny, the lyrics actually aren't shamelessly borrowed from past songs of theirs (I'm always looking at you, DD), and finally I'm pleased to hear Matt trying to give his voice a different delivery than usual.

The basic idea of making a sort of Absolution-like song with a kind of hip hop twinge is brilliant, even if it hasn't come out perfectly as I'd expect. As someone said on Reddit, this could've been the best of the two main parts of their schizophrenic personality as musicians, the more poppish one and the rockier one. The piano inserts during the pre-choruses were really welcomed (and maybe there should have been more), and the drums punchiness throughout the heavier parts was on point. The atmosphere is great, with the right amount of bleakness and ominousness throughout blended with Muse's classic over-the-top feel.

Is it their best, though? Not by a miserable chance, I'm afraid. The main flows that caught my ear are about the mixing: the guitars are too weak compared to synths and drums, and the chanting choirs are a bit too louder than Matt's main voice. Also, they could've got rid of them, and the song may have benefitted from that.

The other, gigantic flow is the shortness of the track. It has great ideas in it, and I thought the guys would be savvier in flashing them out more extensively instead of settling for a radiophonic length. The solo probably suffered the most from that, and you can hear it. Matt could've done something great with those Whammies in chain but he just decided to follow the same melody of the chanting choirs.

All in all, however, I feel very happy about it. With this, I certainly hear a band who's trying to sound more mainstream and contemporary but not fully reaching the goal or doing it perfectly. But at the same time this band seems to be willing to find new musical grounds to walk on, even if that means risking by putting out a bad "experiment" like many of you deem it.

Jesus Christ, that's awful. I'm done. Two terrible songs in a row is too much for me. Whoever posted recently about not listening to Muse for half-arsed pop music nailed it. I'm just going to pretend this new album doesn't exist.

I'm really liking it tbh.

This..and that bass and guitar tone is pretty mint. I was hoping Muse would never follow the stupid whoa oh chanty trend though. And the lyrics aren't near as bad as 90% of what we've gotten the last 3 albums.

edit: honestly if the choral vocals weren't in the song and that melody was strictly guitar bass and synth I would say this song is fully good.

Jesus Christ, that's awful. I'm done. Two terrible songs in a row is too much for me. Whoever posted recently about not listening to Muse for half-arsed pop music nailed it. I'm just going to pretend this new album doesn't exist.

I'm really liking it tbh.

Love these two posts back to back.

Beside that line, there aren't any references to the Holocaust. And I'm not sure that same line is referring to that.

It's one of those "you should have known" sort of deals. It doesn't really matter the intent when you're putting it down, I think the bare minimum if it's going to be mentioned is that what you're doing is cerebral and this track definitely isn't a serious track so it's irreverent.