Yeah, they've made it pretty clear for years. If they don't think something's good enough for release on a record or stand-alone single, we ain't gonna hear it. Shame 'cos, as much as their output has generally gone down since they stopped doing them, I'm sure the odd gem still gets thrown out but it's their work I guess.

I'd be more than willing to wade through the Crying Shames and Who Knows Whos for the odd Soaked or Eternally Missed.

Edited by Jobby

Yeah, they've made it pretty clear for years. If they don't think something's good enough for release on a record or stand-alone single, we ain't gonna hear it. Shame 'cos, as much as their output has generally gone down since they stopped doing them, I'm sure the odd gem still gets thrown out but it's their work I guess.

I'd be more than willing to wade through the Crying Shames and Who Knows Whos for the odd Soaked or Eternally Missed.

Crying Shame was fine.

Prague, however...

Crying Shame was fine.

Prague, however...

I can forgive things like Prague and Popcorn 'cos they're just covers that I'm pretty sure were slapped together at the last second to have something for the Resistance single. Not actual cast-offs from the record that had genuine effort put into them.

It disappoints me that they likely think stuff like Easily, Glorious, Futurism, etc showed up on the SBE wins because they're "rare" or haven't been played much or at all... when instead they really *are* fan favorites, regardless of them being played live or not.

Glorious survived being left off the original vote to secure a top 10 slot based on people having to re-vote, ffs...

Nah, I massively doubt that. The vast majority of SBE rarities were songs they've been bugged about for years, they definitely know they're favourites among hardcores. If anything, I think they probs assume that hardcores like at least most of the b-sides by default - going back to when Matt called The Groove "one of those random weird b-sides that you guys like" in Manchester, despite it not really being requested.

Which makes sense to me tbh. If you're in a successful band with a section of notoriously hardcore fans, it's probs safe to assume that they like your obscure stuff, even if you don't think it's too hot. When you've been around for long enough, you're gonna learn which ones as well.

Edited by Jobby

I dunno, I've been really shit at memorizing Muse interviews in the post-Drones Tour world, but I feel like I remember reading Matt say that the hardcore fans just picked all the super rares and never playeds to fuck with them, because we're sort of dicks, not because we like the songs.

Paraphrasing, of course. :chuckle:

Wasn't it the one where he mentioned Metallica's manager telling them not to worry because fans just pick the hits and it's all a scam?

Soaked is horrible :vomit:.

Also, Crying Shame would bave been peak Muse if they're recorded the dirty 2004/05 version (Earls Court '04, St Louis '05 for instance). Those massive sweeping synths in the intro were HUGE.

My worry about Costey is two-fold - 1. Those four pre-BH&R songs got butchered come release (Assassin, Exo-Politics, Crying Shame and Glorious), and 2. How much say will he have over the actual sound? BH&R was a bit all over the place.

I think as a creative influence, guide and director, he is a strong choice - Absolution proves this.

They'll never do b-sides again. They're not that kind of band anymore.

It honestly feels as though B-sides have stopped being that big a thing for a lot of big name bands recently, rather than just Muse.

Or maybe some others (Biffy Clyro?) are still going releasing them and I've just not been paying attention, ehdunno.

My worry about Costey is two-fold - 1. Those four pre-BH&R songs got butchered come release (Assassin, Exo-Politics, Crying Shame and Glorious), and 2. How much say will he have over the actual sound? BH&R was a bit all over the place.

I think as a creative influence, guide and director, he is a strong choice - Absolution proves this.

But what if it was his influence, guide and direction that killed those BH&R songs? :p (tho I think you’re mad for thinking the early version of Glorious was better)

Either way, like I said before, I’m not worried about him nowadays. They’re good friends with him and kept him around for almost every record since Abso to at least some extent. He mixed T2L and Drones pretty well imo, wasn’t anything to do with those records’ problems.

It honestly feels as though B-sides have stopped being that big a thing for a lot of big name bands recently, rather than just Muse.

Or maybe some others (Biffy Clyro?) are still going releasing them and I've just not been paying attention, ehdunno.

I guess they’ve transitioned over to a lot of the ‘deluxe editions’ you see nowadays. B-sides have always primarily just been a way for labels to make a bit of extra money tbh. Mainstream bands that genuinely care about putting them out (like Biffy) and aren’t just told to are in the minority, I’d say.

I'll never forgive him for Aftermath.

WTF is wrong with Aftermath? It's a great song.

God, the Muse fanbase is so bad LMAO, they just pick and choose random songs to put on the hate bandwagon for no reason. Endlessly, Exo-Politics, Guiding Light, and now Aftermath, none of these songs sound bad yet this fucking cancerous picky fanbase dislikes them for no reason. What the hell is wrong with you people?

While I'd be the first person to roll my eyes at Guiding Light memes, criticism is not only fair game, but conducive to discussions. Fawning over every single thing the band does isn't being a "fan" - it's just plain hero worship, and honestly it's ridiculous to think you have to love everything associated with them. There's plenty of groups out there you can join if you just want to hear happy thoughts, if you weren't aware. They'd probably enjoy new members. (Although, even the notorious reddit is getting negative about Dig Down, so... :chuckle: )

And in the case of Aftermath, particularly knowing that Matt said the amazing opening guitar originally featured more prominently into the song which wasn't the gospel camp sing-a-long it became, it's completely understandable why people would be mad knowing the producer possibly destroyed an absolutely amazing song because he "liked ballads" or some non-sense.

I personally think the song is better than most people make it out to be, but it's got a lot of glaring problems that make it far from my favorite, and I'm still not sure how the first and last lines made it to the album. They sounds like out of breath/key outtakes.

God, the Muse fanbase is so bad LMAO, they just pick and choose random songs to put on the hate bandwagon for no reason. Endlessly, Exo-Politics, Guiding Light, and now Aftermath, none of these songs sound bad yet this fucking cancerous picky fanbase dislikes them for no reason. What the hell is wrong with you people?

u ok hun?

We suffer from something called opinions. If you don’t wanna catch it I suggest you lock yourself in and never talk to anyone ever again.

And don’t worry about your own opinions, because those are apparently facts that are true for everyone.