Yeah, pretty sure it's just another single. Non-Halloween related. IIRC, they said something within the last few months about aiming to have another song out by late 2017/early 2018. They might record more than one song, like in the Dig Down sessions, but I doubt we'll see the others unless they end up on the eventual record.

Sorry, it felt vague/unclear as I was writing it :p I don't know the correct terminology to describe the features of Melodyne, Newtone and other vocal fine-tuning tools off the top of my head, but it's definitely been clumsily processed by something like that (whether to correct/modulate the pitch of the original take in some way or adjust the length/tightness of the words, I'm not sure), resulting in that sort of stuttering, inhuman sound in Aftermath's first line. Normally this sort of alteration is done subtly enough that it doesn't notice, but if the effects are overdone (often just a case of turning an adjustment knob too far up or down), the voice starts sounding unnatural and robotic. Without boring everyone with example videos or brushing up on the specifics I probably won't be able to back myself up too well, but have no doubt this is what happened to that opening line (I've messed around with similar on a much more amateurish level). There's bound to be someone hiding away here who knows much more about audio engineering/vocal-editing who'd do a better job of explaining - maybe something for a separate thread ;) !

Sorry but I just don’t buy it. The sound he makes is not inhuman. It’s a technique he uses quite a lot where he adds a quick fry note to a line to give it some more “feeling” or whatever he’s going for. There is nothing in the way that it’s sung that would suggest that it had to be edited to sound that way, and there is nothing locigally to support it either, since we all know Mutt made them do take after take until it was perfect. Why would they edit that line in what you consider such an obvious way?

What I was meaning with the overdub comment is that if there was something about that line that didn't quite sound right in the original vocal take (and they didn't want to do another full runthrough), it shouldn't have taken long to re-record the line by itself. Not ideal to be cutting and pasting if you're wanting a 100% genuine performance, but neither's the vocal processing they went with instead :$ ! None of it would be anywhere near as strange if we don't already know that Matt's perfectly capable of recording vocals without any studio trickery!

That’s not what overdubbing is though. Overdubbing means to record on top of another recording, so you have two vocal tracks for example. Edited by Tjet

For that kind of thing the most convenient technique is the punch-in/punch-out recording, in fact. Unless they recorded on tape (which I think they did...?).
What? The punch in/out technique is specifically for tapes (even if you can apply it to a certain digital technique), which I'm pretty sure they didn't record on btw.

What? The punch in/out technique is specifically for tapes (even if you can apply it to a certain digital technique), which I'm pretty sure they didn't record on btw.

So, it was born indeed with tape recording?! *_*

I thought it could be only possibile for digital recording due to its comodity (I have two DAWs in my PC). Thanks for making me learn something new. :)

Regarding the theory of them recording on tape, I remember a photo taken in the studio in which there was some kind of tape machine (not an analog delay), but I could be wrong.

Sorry but I just don’t buy it. The sound he makes is not inhuman. It’s a technique he uses quite a lot where he adds a quick fry note to a line to give it some more “feeling” or whatever he’s going for. There is nothing in the way that it’s sung that would suggest that it had to be edited to sound that way, and there is nothing locigally to support it either, since we all know Mutt made them do take after take until it was perfect. Why would they edit that line in what you consider such an obvious way?

It's no problem, we can agree to disagree :p It was the first thing I responded to when I heard the vocals on the song, and I've been baffled by it ever since. If I thought it was just a ropey bit of singing it'd be much easier for me to process in a way, as I wouldn't be having to try and rationalise to myself how completely bizarre and unnecessary such a decision seems (I can only imagine it has something to do with definition and "tightness" on a very pedantic scale)! There's another comparable instance on the word "puppeteer" in Mercy (very specifically in the foreground vocal track) that I'm sure most people will hear as odd intonation or something, but I'm convinced is clumsy application of a vocal tuning/time-stretching plugin designed to add definition to the individual syllables ...

I could be completely wrong, of course :$ !! I don't think I am, but if it was clear beyond a shadow of a doubt in isolated vocal tracks, I'd be more than happy to say so (I don't think we'll ever get to hear them, one way or another ;) )! To add some perspective, I haven't noticed anything like this on previous Muse studio albums (except on the word "reached" in "now I have finally reached the end" on the Rome DVD performance of Madness haha - but we already know they were happy to tamper with a detail or two on that release), so it's not like I'm going around imagining it everywhere - just a few places on Drones, I guess :LOL:

That’s not what overdubbing is though. Overdubbing means to record on top of another recording, so you have two vocal tracks for example.

Oh, I'm sure you're right - I'm muddling the jargon! I mean as in cutting and pasting, punching in and out, or however you want to describe the process of deleting a single line out of a vocal track and trying to seamlessly "dub" in another. It's amazing how bad I am at describing things I'm regularly messing around with in my spare time ... an amateur's prerogative (I hope :p!)

Whatever the case, I'm hoping there'll be no funny business on the new track!

Edited by LoganMH

Now you made me listen to the terrible mess that Mercy is :( But actually I agree with you! There's definitely something funny going on with that line that I never noticed before. Still don't agree on Aftermath though, but nevermind.

Why am I reminded of an old Cleveland Show episode where Kanye makes a polka song...?

I also firmly believe those instruments just happened to be there, and it's a bit of fucking around.

Does anyone else think Matt's not blowing into it so his face didn't look fat in the photo? I imagine him doing the duck lips into the mouthpiece. :chuckle:

Why am I reminded of an old Cleveland Show episode where Kanye makes a polka song...?

I also firmly believe those instruments just happened to be there, and it's a bit of fucking around.

Does anyone else think Matt's not blowing into it so his face didn't look fat in the photo? I imagine him doing the duck lips into the mouthpiece. :chuckle:

Or he simply knows how he's supposed to do it?

I want them to go crazy again. But no cheese pls.

They'll make a bandistic rock cover of Maple Leaf Rag, let's not fool ourselves.

EDIT: Whoa, wait! Looks like things may get interesting with those two Whammys in chain (if the link doesn't work, just go and see their Instagram). :D

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Was there anything on their IG directly related to the actual song before Dig Down was released?

I seem to remember multiple shots of acoustic guitars (and drums!) and some waffly guitar bit that wasn't in the song.

Wasn't it, though? Listening to DD it seems it's placed in the second part of the first verse. Or in the coda with the choirs.

Also, it could've been heavily modified during the recording or mixing process.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider