The final line of Aftermath "loneliness has gone" is supposed to be like that though right? Matt's doing his usual falsetto vocal style here. Or is it just that's it's breathy?

It sounds like he completely ran out of breath and was trying to push out one last line. I could see it if it had some contextual meaning, but it in no way comes off like it's supposed to be that way, and sounds like a failed take or something. Just really odd.

And yeah, seeing Matt and Costey laughing at the new track has reinforced my belief that something really stupid is going to come out on Halloween again.

Yeah, I think one out-of-context pic of them laughing is a bit of a stretch to link to anything :chuckle:

Seems too different from the NKOK process to me to be another silly Halloween cover. Proper producer, heavy promotion on Insta, looks like more effort in-studio.

The problem with anything Muse do that is them 'not taking themselves too seriously' is it is the antithesis of what they are trying to achieve, it proves they ARE taking themselves too seriously and feel the need to publicly dismiss it. It just feels like nothing natural or organic flows out of Muse any more, and any flashes of it are cast aside for fear they won't chime with where their perception of their fanbase is these days.

I just want some properly dark, gnarly, twisted shit please.

I think Muse are one of the hardest bands to draw the line between 'joke' and 'serious' with at this point anyway tbh :chuckle:
Which is why most of the later half of their career can’t ever stand up to the early part. If Muse don’t take their music seriously, why should I? Like, I think Panic Station is a fun track, but I would feel touched by it. Often it just comes across as insincere.

Which is why most of the later half of their career can’t ever stand up to the early part. If Muse don’t take their music seriously, why should I? Like, I think Panic Station is a fun track, but I would feel touched by it. Often it just comes across as insincere.

Maybe because... they've changed as people? They're not the brooding, melancholic, gnarly youngsters who struggled with the idea of fame and its consequences anymore. They no longer make use of "magic shrooms" to "expand their perception of reality" or "communicate with spirits in the woods" (cue Matt in) because they've just grown out of it. Now they're rich and famous rockstars, two of them have families, they enjoy life with the money they've earned, and thus they clearly have more of a positive outlook regarding their lives, simple as that. For Matt, being a little happier on the inside has probably translated in an effort of detaching himself from who he was formerly, because he hasn't felt those darker, moodier sensations as strong as before.

Honestly, what would the point be in writing self-centered songs focusing on those sensations if you really don't feel them? Yeah, you could write them, but they'd only be an emulation of something that's no longer there. And that would be as much as shamefully insincere, too. "So, why can't I focus on political conspiracies and paranoias delivered in a melodramatic fashion by singing them in-character and with 80s- or Queen-like musical bases?" Matt might have wondered. And here we are now.

What I'm trying to say is that the supposedly shallower lyrics, the poppier and more derivative music, are part of how Matt and the others are now expressing themselves in a "because-why-not" way. Having a more open, relaxed approach on life, they've just happened to choose to explore more 80s synth pop or electronic elements, and to throw away a more nuanced experimentation because... they felt like it. Unfortunately (but maybe not too much) we can't do anything about it. If the results are campy, or kitsch, it's still their doing.

To be honest, though, I really don't see the problem with the lone idea of putting out ridiculously bombastic, grotesque or joking music if they feel to. I may not like it, to the point I would shun it, but at least they do the heck they want.

Also, before someone tells me: no, it doesn't mean you mustn't criticize them or forcibly listen to their more recent output, it's just my two cents about their current situation. Make what you want of this speech.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Maybe because... they've changed as people? They're not the brooding, melancholic, gnarly youngsters who struggled with the idea of fame and its consequences anymore. They no longer make use of "magic shrooms" to "expand their perception of reality" or "communicate with spirits in the woods" (cue Matt in) because they've just grown out of it. Now they're rich and famous rockstars, two of them have families, they enjoy life with the money they've earned, and thus they clearly have more of a positive outlook regarding their lives, simple as that. For Matt, being a little happier on the inside has probably translated in an effort of detaching himself from who he was formerly, because he hasn't felt those darker, moodier sensations as strong as before.

Honestly, what would the point be in writing self-centered songs focusing on those sensations if you really don't feel them? Yeah, you could write them, but they'd only be an emulation of something that's no longer there. And that would be as much as shamefully insincere, too. "So, why can't I focus on political conspiracies and paranoias delivered in a melodramatic fashion by singing them in-character and with 80s- or Queen-like musical bases?" Matt might have wondered. And here we are now.

What I'm trying to say is that the supposedly shallower lyrics, the poppier and more derivative music, are part of how Matt and the others are now expressing themselves in a "because-why-not" way. Having a more open, relaxed approach on life, they've just happened to choose to explore more 80s synth pop or electronic elements, and to throw away a more nuanced experimentation because... they felt like it. Unfortunately (but maybe not too much) we can't do anything about it. If the results are campy, or kitsch, it's still their doing.

To be honest, though, I really don't see the problem with the lone idea of putting out ridiculously bombastic, grotesque or joking music if they feel to. I may not like it, to the point I would shun it, but at least they do the heck they want.

Also, before someone tells me: no, it doesn't mean you mustn't criticize them or forcibly listen to their more recent output, it's just my two cents about their current situation. Make what you want of this speech.

Okay so first off, if you think music can't be written from an earnest place just because you're a more mature and happy person, you're wrong.

And if anything, Matt struggled more with the idea of fame when he was dating Kate Hudson than he had in a long time. And I mean...the fact that Chris struggled with alcoholism proves that "having it all" isn't a recipe for happiness. Even after getting over his alcoholism, Chris clearly isn't living the perfect family life (not gonna say anymore about his personal life).

And I certainly wasn't asking Matt to write songs about the feelings he had when he was in his 20s, so I don't know why you imply that I have. I'm saying they write insincere music, which they themselves have admitted regarding several songs. I repeat, you can write sincere songs even if you're not a moody teenager. And more importantly, you can take your musical output seriously. I don't like a lot of newer Muse songs because even when Matt sings about something personal, they wanna make the song "fun" or whatever by adding chants or a synth pad that makes them go "omg it just turned into 80s cheese, I love it". It's their process, but to me it lacks artistic vision for the output, and it turns me off their music.

And I was thinking of adding this to my post, but figured it didn't need repeating because it's been said a million times: Complaining about Muse's output doesn't mean I'm telling them what they should be writing instead. They do what the fuck they want, otherwise they're just selling out. I'm simply giving my reason as to why I don't like it.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot. I didn't mind it back in 2012 because I was impressed by his improved technique, but the "hero voice" is the biggest turnoff in their whole career for me. It means I can't take anything he says seriously. To me it sounds like he knows the lyrics are quite ridiculous so he uses a silly voice so it can't be criticized as a serious attempt.

Edited by Tjet

I always assumed from the first IG post that they were recording an album. Was there a reason people were thinking it was just a song?
You mean beside the fact that the band has said they'll only be recording and releasing singles for a while, and that they're about to hit the road again in like 3 weeks? :p

I don't expect it to be finished any time soon but they could be doing some preliminary recording for it. Unless those aren't separate songs.
I wanted to say "doesn't have to be different songs" but honestly, it's the way they've always done it...or at least did when they first worked with Costey. And there's way too many things on that board for just one song.

I mean this might not be news for you but for reference:

I really hate this idea that a song can't be serious without being dark or emo or some bs... it is absolutely possible to write a "happy" song that doesn't sound insincere, or like a joke. Muse just sucks at it. Darkness isn't the only legitimate emotion...

Also, what is this band's obsession with syphilis?

Exactly!

You mean beside the fact that the band has said they'll only be recording and releasing singles for a while, and that they're about to hit the road again in like 3 weeks? :p

Well I haven't been keeping up with it so that was the information I was asking for. So not beside that fact.

But yeah, just seemed like with Matt's wording, in addition to the numerous studio posts and multiple guitars, that it was an album.