No word on any additional material from the Drones sessions I assume? I know it's been a while since b sides were a thing.

I'm dissapointed that after being promised a heavy and back to basics album we ended up getting a concept album with idiotic "positive" sounding tracks like Defector, Revolt, Aftermath and even though Mercy is lyrically darker, it still sounds chirpy and radio friendly.

It feels to me like the album hardly explores the darker forces or the opressors, and as said above the jump from psycho to mercy is just stupid. There needed to be atleast one darker and heavier song after psycho. After Psycho is meant to be the darkest point of the album and it doesn't feel dark at all! You get Starlight Part Two, Reapers which is fun and bouncy and Classic rock power cheese and then finally you get The Handler which spares the blushes a bit.

But after Handler it's into the Queen cheese and drawn out cheesy ballads. Globalist is just a mess too. Don't even want to talk about that load of rubbish!

Revolt didn't even need to happen, could have easily gone Defector to Aftermath. It's such a stupid track and I don't know what Matt was thinking writing it, it's almost bordering on self parody.

Right there with you buddy. It's not unusual for me to be disappointed by the lack of dark material on a recent Muse album, but in this case it is heightened by a sense that the concept itself warranted more of it. The Handler also showed that they can do it well.

The last section doesn't just suck, it's Resistance 2. We already had the political uprising waffle for an entire album, hell it popped up a lot on the last 3 lps. Surely there was something more interesting to do here.

The lyrics in these songs are so literal and impersonal it's hard for people to become emotionally invested in the songs. I like it when lyrics are open to interpretation, allowing people to find their own meaning in them, and that personal connection makes the songs mean more to the listener.

I've been thinking about it lately, and i've just realised that KoC is probably the song that actually made them way more confident about injecting some more campiness into their music...if it wasn't for that song, Survival would've never existed, for example

I think you're probably right. Unfortunately, KoC is the only song where they actually pulled it off tastefully. In KoC they managed to walk those lines between comedy and quality, and parody and originality. By contrast, a lot of TR and T2L (mostly the latter) tracks felt like cheap ripoffs of other bands, songs, and genres, and the painfully bad lyrics were justified by the excuse, "Hey, it's supposed to be silly!"

By contrast, a lot of TR and T2L (mostly the latter) tracks felt like cheap ripoffs of other bands, songs, and genres, and the painfully bad lyrics were justified by the excuse, "Hey, it's supposed to be silly!"

While Drones is mostly cheap ripoffs of other bands, songs and genres, and the painfully bad lyrics aren't justified.

By contrast, a lot of TR and T2L (mostly the latter) tracks felt like cheap ripoffs of other bands, songs, and genres

While Drones is mostly cheap ripoffs of other bands, songs and genres, and the painfully bad lyrics aren't justified.

For the most part, sounding similar =/= complete ripoffs

Not saying there aren't complete ripoffs in there, but I'd consider more of them as similarities

I'm a little confused because no one ever mentioned that TR and T2L had silly lyrics before Drones came out. :LOL:

Mainly for comparisons sake, from what I can see.

The lyrics to TR aren't that bad, but the lyrics to T2L are equal to or worse than Drones.

It makes me laugh when people complain about this album not being "as heavy as promised". There are some really heavy moments... and they never even promised a "heavy" album. They promised an album that was (mostly) stripped back to a 3-piece rock format and up until aftermath that's exactly what it is.

The whole attitude of 'if it's not heavy it's not good' really rustles my jimmies.