I don't think I've ever completely changed my opinion about so many songs on an album, or the album as a whole for that matter. My opinion generally doesn't waver *too* much from when I first hear a song. But I'm finding a couple of the songs I thought were the strongest at first are now my least favorite, and vice versa. I wasn't completely sold on Reapers from the beginning but liked it ok and thought I'd like it more as I got to know it. But actually Reapers and Psycho both are just annoying. Get on with it! Ugh. I just get frustrated listening to both of them and want them to hurry up and finish. (huh huh, that's what she said.)

And I despised Revolt and Dead Inside at first, but now I think I actually like them. :wtf: Mercy I just thought was uninspired, and maybe it is, but it's catchy as fuck. Maybe the catchy songs aren't great songwriting, but I still enjoy them for what they are. But I still think Revolt sounds ridiculous being so festive and happy. Sounds more like the celebratory "fuck yeah we killed the government/drones/bad guys" song.

Faves are Defector and The Handler which I loved from the get go. I don't think I'll ever like Aftermath. Globalist is pretty good and Drones is weird but good.

Edit: I know the lyrics are pants, but I'm trying to ignore that fact.

If all of the lyrics on Drones were of the same standard of The Handler and The Globalist I'd have no problem with it at all. Tbh the lyrics don't really bother me though

This. The Globalist proves they can still write non-shitty lyrics. I hope the next album combines the three piece sound and lyrics on par with what they can do.

Edited by lurkinglurker

If all of the lyrics on Drones were of the same standard of The Handler and The Globalist I'd have no problem with it at all. Tbh the lyrics don't really bother me though

I agree those songs are probably the best, lyrically, on the whole album (and also two of the best on Drones generally, imo, along with Reapers, which I don't think is a coincidence!)

I agree, it does feel like he's singing down to us, like we're too stupid to understand unless he puts it in big, bold black-and-white statements ('Here come the DROOONNEESS!!' :LOL:)

As I say, I don't usually care overmuch about lyrics, so I'm surprised it's bothered me this much but it's reached a new low on some of them. I can't forgive the fact that there are now TWO Muse songs in existence with the rhyming couplet 'together / forever'. They've become a boyband tribute act, lyrically :LOL::facepalm:

I don't find any lyrics on Origin have the embarrassing elements of more recent songs. A lot of it is 'simple' (e.g. Bliss, Hyper Music etc.) but without feeling like they're dumbing the message down or ruining the song. Psycho has a great riff, would be a much better song if they weren't bloody singing about your ass belonging to me and super drones :LOL:

I will, again, point out all the *televised* interviews where the interviewer said the concept of the album was "complicated."

An early video has Matt going over his stock story about the Drones metaphor with human empathy, and the guy interrupts him and says "whoa, I asked for it in LAYMAN'S terms."

I almost burst into tears for mankind.

So, I think it's fair to say it's only speaking down to SOME of us. :chuckle:

.... :'(

I have nearly no problem with the Drones lyrics, anyways. Delivery is a bigger factor for me, and I give the Survival example. Those lyrics are probably comparable, but the delivery draws attention to them in a bad way.

I'm going through my obligatory "what does some rich ass know/care about this sort of hardship" phase, but hopefully it'll pass.

Or else I'll be stuck looking at this album as one long Unnatural Selection. :LOL:

I will, again, point out all the *televised* interviews where the interviewer said the concept of the album was "complicated."

An early video has Matt going over his stock story about the Drones metaphor with human empathy, and the guy interrupts him and says "whoa, I asked for it in LAYMAN'S terms."

I almost burst into tears for mankind.

So, I think it's fair to say it's only speaking down to SOME of us. :chuckle:

.... :'(

Yeah, I remember that interview. :facepalm: I think the interviewer said that to flatter Matt and make him feel smart. :p

I'm going through my obligatory "what does some rich ass know/care about this sort of hardship" phase, but hopefully it'll pass.

Or else I'll be stuck looking at this album as one long Unnatural Selection. :LOL:

I read that as "some rich ass cow" and did a double take, thinking ":erm: I know people were talking about Matt being out of shape because of his vocals, but he's hardly fat!" :LOL:

non

Clever lyric, means his belly is all jelly..

Nah it's clearly a Coldplay tribute.

Eat my soul, fair enough, sounds naff. I like the other two though. Interesting metaphorical ideas come to mind.

How is "toxic jungle" an interesting metaphorical idea? It's so cliche.

"Superdrone", "eat my soul" and all the "show me your war face..." excerpts are awful, but I definitely cringe harder at all the "it's a race, and I'm gonna win...vengeance is mine" etc from Survival. The vocal delivery is really corny too.

At least Survival wasn't trying to fit in a serious concept album.

Besides Showbiz, the problem with Matt's lyrics is that it's all just pseudo-intellectualism.

BH&R, TR, T2L even moreso - and on Drones, it's reaching a nadir. It's pretty tragic. It's even more tragic when Muse are held up as this visionary, anti-establishment band.

They are nothing of the sort. Whenever I listen to songs like Unsustainable or Exo-Politics, or any of the Drones material, I cringe on behalf of Chris and Dom.

Ever since Origin, Matt's lyrics have been 20% personal (usually decent enough) and 80% utterly embarrassing bullshit. It feels like for each album, he reads two related but contrasting books and just regurgitates them.

It's dire. It's puerile. It's juvenile. It's shallow. It's just wantonly dumb. For me, it's actually genuinely off-putting.

Bring back the sheer nonsense rather than all this faux-philosophical drivel.

This, indeed.

Besides Showbiz, the problem with Matt's lyrics is that it's all just pseudo-intellectualism.

BH&R, TR, T2L even moreso - and on Drones, it's reaching a nadir. It's pretty tragic. It's even more tragic when Muse are held up as this visionary, anti-establishment band.

They are nothing of the sort. Whenever I listen to songs like Unsustainable or Exo-Politics, or any of the Drones material, I cringe on behalf of Chris and Dom.

Ever since Origin, Matt's lyrics have been 20% personal (usually decent enough) and 80% utterly embarrassing bullshit. It feels like for each album, he reads two related but contrasting books and just regurgitates them.

It's dire. It's puerile. It's juvenile. It's shallow. It's just wantonly dumb. For me, it's actually genuinely off-putting.

Bring back the sheer nonsense rather than all this faux-philosophical drivel.

But drones be bad.... DON'T YOU GET IT YET??? ;)

I've been thinking about it lately, and i've just realised that KoC is probably the song that actually made them way more confident about injecting some more campiness into their music...if it wasn't for that song, Survival would've never existed, for example

And God bless them for that - I adore Survival

Nah it's clearly a Coldplay tribute.

How is "toxic jungle" an interesting metaphorical idea? It's so cliche.

At least Survival wasn't trying to fit in a serious concept album.

Yellow belly is even more cliché. Still not quite as bad as 'I'll show you a God who falls asleep on the job' though.

:vomit:.

Concrete jungle-like? Toxic/municipal waste? I've never actually heard the phrase before used as a cliche, so I can't really comment on that. Of course "Yellow Belly" is a cliche, because it is a figure of speech. It's no more a cliche than just saying "cowardly."