I have a friend who thinks Christopher Nolan should direct pretty much ANYTHING and have it be super dark and gritty but what he doesn't seem to grasp is that it's not always needed.

Ehmmm, do I know you??:$

After many listens, I really think this album is amazing. Similar level as Black Holes, so much better than T2L and maybe Resistance. I only dislike Revolt, mostly the pre-chorus. The rest either grew on me or loved in the first place. I feel sorry for the fans who cannot find the goodness in this record. It's definately the start of Muse moving (back) in the right path.

The Handler is definately the best song since Absolution. Now I would be interested if they went this direction in all the songs.

I started to really like Aftermath as well, while Reapers is my 2nd favourite. Then comes The Globalist. That tremolo part is the best 20 seconds of the album. Not sure when they made that, why did not the idea came to them to do something more with it in time or incorporate into the riff somehow.

Hey, next time you want to offer some weak sauce reviews, just stop and don't post. This is a hella awful review. Epic Fail. This album blows, I think the Muse would agree with this.

Ehmmm, do I know you??:$

Haha I dont think so! I love Nolan btw, I think it's fantastic there's a big budget director who is pushing the boundaries and trying something different with each film, but this guy thinks he is the only director capable of helming anything. I.e the Star Wars franchise, another Godfather installment :LOL:, literally anything. Plus his films aren't really that dark, he just did a grittier, more realistic take on Batman and people have lost their minds about how dark his films are. Most of them have an uplifting, positive message at the end.

One thing that I think people really like about this record is that it sounds like more influence was taken from classical/romantic era composers, namely The Handler. That IYW solo section is very classically influenced. This is also why the most loved songs from TR are MK Ultra and Exogenesis and why OoS and Abso are the most loved albums. They're basically classical music played with a modern 3 piece band.

Most of TR & T2L is not classically oriented which is where I think the hate comes from. Their influence comes from other places. T2L especially is very different from the other's in that sense.

Anyway that's what I think it is. I'm a big TR fan but I know exactly what about it people don't like. Drones is great though and I'm starting to think it might be better than TR.

Hey, next time you want to offer some weak sauce reviews, just stop and don't post. This is a hella awful review. Epic Fail. This album blows, I think the Muse would agree with this.

It ant really a review of such, he was just expressing his opinion.

One thing that I think people really like about this record is that it sounds like more influence was taken from classical/romantic era composers, namely The Handler. That IYW solo section is very classically influenced. This is also why the most loved songs from TR are MK Ultra and Exogenesis and why OoS and Abso are the most loved albums. They're basically classical music played with a modern 3 piece band.

Most of TR & T2L is not classically oriented which is where I think the hate comes from. Their influence comes from other places. T2L especially is very different from the other's in that sense.

Anyway that's what I think it is. I'm a big TR fan but I know exactly what about it people don't like. Drones is great though and I'm starting to think it might be better than TR.

Not sure how The Handler is classical :erm:

That sounds quite plausible, I remember someone saying (maybe Rich Costey or Storm Thorgerson, possible neither) saying that Absolution had elements of some of Phillip Glass and his work over the years, which I love. I think the Handler's solo definitely sounds like something he would produce, with it's constant looping and tension building.

Not sure how The Handler is classical :erm:

It's everything in his writing. It's in his approach to vocal melodies and his arrangements. His chord progressions are classically influenced and predictable (not that that's a bad thing).

Also in regard to the Philip Glass thing that's very true. Glass is a minimalist composer and they try and use just a few musical elements that are repeated a lot (see Hysteria, Endlessly)

Interesting, this is basically LiT inverted.

I think it's why their music translates well to an orchestral setting and why a lot of orchestras cover their songs.

I definitely agree.

As a better example for The Handler, a lot of Bach's works involve a constant 16th note run above a chord progression in the bass. The bass part in the prechorus is very mobile which is quite Bach as well.

Of course there's elements of modern music in there too. They're still a rock band.

Who the fuck said it's a review? Simply expressing some thoughts of the album which came to me today. Jesus resign already you clueless nobody.

Interesting, this is basically LiT inverted.

You did not mean that.

Edited by LiT

He thinks that anything expressing an opinion is a review.

This is a hella awful review. Epic Fail. This album blows, I think the Muse would agree with this.

Then his review is even worse. :facepalm:

Well, I don't know a ton about classical and romantic music (though, due to a class I'm taking, I soon will), but I've often thought about these kinds of influences in Muse's music and found that the reason I love TR so much is due to all of the classical/romantic sounding bits on that record. Sure Uprising, GL, and UD don't seem to have much to offer in that area, but it seems to me every other song brings in at least something sounding reminiscent of classical and romantic music. Resistance has the "take us awaaay from here, protect us from further harm!" bit, USoE/CD is obvious (it even has an actual romantic period piano excerpt at the end), you've already mentioned MKU, US seems to be riddled with more complex melodies than the average rock song which seem slightly classical too, and the final four are quite obvious. By that count, I'd say most of the record is classically influenced to some degree, and that plus the symphonic production really makes me love the record.

Getting back to Drones, what I'm loving more and more about Drones is it seems like the more 80s hard rock version of TR, complimenting TR's relative lack of a great number of hard rockers perfectly. And to bring them together, Muse returns to the more classically influenced sound as found in The Handler, Drones, The Globalist, and probably bits and pieces of other tracks I haven't had the time to search for yet. I'd love to see more examples of classical romantic influence found in Drones.

Sorry I just kind of rambled there for a while, these are just the thoughts I came across while reading your post. Love classical sounding Muse.